Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 05:19 PM   #16
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25
Re: Re: Identify the owner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyc
By the way T&C are currently offering 2 roadcars for sale although no details are available other than that they are LHD...!
I believe that people refer to the F1 as LHD because the driver sits to the left of the shifter as one would in almost all other LHD cars. It could also have something to do with how the cars are set up to conform to certain lighting restrictions in LHD versus RHD countries.

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 06:06 PM   #17
F1 monster
AF Enthusiast

Re: Identify the owner...

No, it's because, when classified as a LHD, it makes the placement of the occupants relative to the gearshift, etc., somewhat "normal"--only racecars have gearshift levers to the extreme right, in the doorsill. The usual convention in a roadcar is for it to be between the driver and passenger, LHD or RHD. In light of this convention, a McLaren is classified as LHD. It is a configuration it is capable of, whereas RHD is not a possible configuration. All moot points, really, as it is optimized for both.

Besides, when there's just one passenger, the passenger can sit in LHD configuration to make it possible for both driver and passenger to exit from their own side. It's virtually impossible for the driver to clamber over the gearshift lever and go out from the right, so if the passenger were to sit to the left of the driver, as people do in regular cars in RHD countries, then the driver would have to wait for the passenger to exit before he could. Conversely, the passenger would always have to wait for the driver to get in before they could, if they were to sit to the left of the driver. This make LHD occupant arrangement a bit more common than RHD.

Personally, however, I sat on the left most of the time I was the sole passenger, as it made it easier to pay tolls in France (a LHD country with toll booths typically on the left).

Of course, the choice of seating a single passenger to the left or the right always exists--it is not a requirement for them to be seated to the right--it just makes things easier/quicker, as long as the passenger knows how to operate the door.

Sitting like this, and assuming the passenger can operate their own door, the driver does not have to reach across the passenger to push open or pull down the passenger-side door: that could lead to the driver's elbow ending up in the err, well, erm, ah, you know, the nether regions of the passenger. Now this could be a (very) good thing, depending on who the passenger is...and I am sure that's why McLaren has provided the option.

If there's two passengers, well, you just hope they're both good looking.

Last edited by F1 monster; 03-16-2005 at 08:00 PM.
F1 monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:56 PM   #18
Mclaren240!
AF Regular

Wasent the GT1 offered through Gregor Fisken before DK? Think the F50 is still there was that his 959 from a lkittle while back? Also T&C were advertising a silver F1 with a mear 1500 miles but that in the period of a month has shot up to 17.000 diffrent car? are there 3 F1's 2 silver one black at T&C has the 1500 mille car sold? Its a total puzzle to me.
Mclaren240! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 07:12 AM   #19
maartenvanthek
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to maartenvanthek

what's it with that whole blakc car for sale thing? can somebody enlighten me on that, because i've seen no hard evidence at all on that, and i'm still checkin here twice a day
maartenvanthek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:56 PM   #20
mini magic
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Identify the owner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclaren240!
Wasent the GT1 offered through Gregor Fisken before DK?

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by maartenvanthek
what's it with that whole blakc car for sale thing? can somebody enlighten me on that, because i've seen no hard evidence at all on that, and i'm still checkin here twice a day
It was mentioned in one of their ads in Classic and Sports Car
mini magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 10:31 PM   #21
Mclaren240!
AF Regular

Thoug at one point i think there were advertising the Wyclif car as black...thoug im not shore it wold say black but there would be a pic of that car.
Mclaren240! is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1