Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 11:13 AM   #1
-DeaDLocK-
AF Newbie

Possible new pics...?

Are these new finds??

http://www.bookatrack.com/-pg?1835&14987 (towards bottom of page)
-DeaDLocK- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 11:32 AM   #2
lynx_effect
AF Enthusiast

Re: Possible new pics...?

The car certainly isn't new. Have a feeling they may have come up a little while ago though, they seem vaguely familiar, can’t remember....... right click save anyway!
Cheers
Old 01-23-2004, 11:41 AM   #3
-DeaDLocK-
AF Newbie

haha thought so.

I certainly don't follow all the posts here (intermittent lurker), and I'm sure 99% of all F1 Pics online linked to from other places have definitely been posted here sometime before.

But hey no waste in unearthing stuff when there's a possibility nobody has seen them.

On another note, does anyone know the details of the Dokic "scandal"? He was an alleged owner of an F1 and he (along with his alleged family) posted lots of threads on PistonHeads. Many were great anecdotal accounts of incidents he's had while in his Mac F1 and 959.

As I'm always on the frenzy for such juicy gossip, does anyone know the details of that story?

D
Old 01-23-2004, 12:18 PM   #4
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25
I take credit for posting the first ever photo of this F1 here. mini magic posted these shots several months back as well. It never hurts to ask though.

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 01:17 PM   #5
drewwtms
AF Regular

This is an English site - at least all of the "Venues" are in Europe. But isn't that a Ford F250 in a picture (IMG_0778)? I didn't realize F250s were in England.

Also, I am curious about this pistonheads story. Is there a link to read about the scandal? Seems funny.
drewwtms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 02:47 PM   #6
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeaDLocK-
On another note, does anyone know the details of the Dokic "scandal"? He was an alleged owner of an F1 and he (along with his alleged family) posted lots of threads on PistonHeads. Many were great anecdotal accounts of incidents he's had while in his Mac F1 and 959.

As I'm always on the frenzy for such juicy gossip, does anyone know the details of that story?
Where did you hear of this scandal? Has it been reported somewhere?

>8^)
ER
Old 01-23-2004, 04:22 PM   #7
Mr. Bernoulli
AF Enthusiast

Yeah, it was a big thing on Pistonheads. At least as far as a "scandal" as you get on there. If read some posts about it recently but I wasn't around there at the time. Somebody was living in a bit of a dreamworld I think.
Mr. Bernoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 06:38 PM   #8
-DeaDLocK-
AF Newbie

Jon Dokic was a regular poster on PistonHeads and claimed to own a McLaren F1 and a Porsche 959 among a lot of other exotica.

PistonHeads embraced him as our very own übercar owner, and everyone knew his online persona. His family members also posted regularly and all of them were very much a part of PH - not just blabbing on about their cars but talking about all sorts of stuff. They were all very active members.

Jon himself a couple of times had apparently meaned to come to one of the PH meets, but never did actually make it.

The threads that did surface about his cars (and THE car) were all replied to with a knowledge and a frankness that would support the fact that he was indeed an owner. And we all happily went along for the ride. The Dokic family was very much "the" family on PH.

Then one day he allegedly died, and the thread announcing his death had hundreds of replies from well-wishers; such was his influence on the forums.

Things kind of simmered down after that, and the F1 was apparently sold.

I don't know all of the details, but some months after that all the forum accounts of the supposed Dokic family members got suspended. Ted, the moderator of the forums, has been keeping a tight lid on the whole affair on PH and has been preventing any talk of the issue. This is his perogative, I guess, though it leaves much of us in the dark as to the circumstances surrounding this matter.

From what I can gather, the bottom-line is that the Dokic family do not exist and do not own any of the cars they purport to own.

My personal suspicions of this were first aroused when I did a search on this forum for Dokic but came up with nothing, except a short post from tvrfreak expressing ambiguity on the whole thing. Also, though one could say it is extremely short-sighted of PH to not notice, I don't think anyone on PH ever actually met Jon or has seen any of his cars. Not a single photo of any of his vehicles was ever shown.

This may not sound like much of a big deal, but the core PH community are very close-knit and we have gatherings two to three times a year. The three Dokic members who posted on PH were very much a part of this core group, with a lot of offline correspondence as well, and unsurprisingly it must have come as sort of a shock to many members that these people (or person), who they assumed to be completely trustworthy, were nothing more than fraudsters.

Again, I am speculating here but I think this is the story. How it arised and how it was confirmed I do not know.

D

Last edited by -DeaDLocK-; 01-23-2004 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:06 PM   #9
tvrfreak
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tvrfreak Send a message via Yahoo to tvrfreak

I am not allowed to say any more but your speculation is pretty accurate.
tvrfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 09:05 PM   #10
Omni Freak
Banned

I didn't know that the Mclaren F1 was made into a race car!
Omni Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 10:01 PM   #11
mini magic
AF Enthusiast

umm, then you need to have your head checked
mini magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 01:30 AM   #12
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanks DeadLock - I knew most of what you posted and had heard some other details, but I wasn't aware it had ever come out in the open like that. The three owners who have posted here have established their credibility beyond any doubt, but after skimming most of the Dokic threads back when tvrfreak originally posted about his death, they kind of left me wondering. Several direct questions were simply not answered and as you say, photos of thier cars were never once provided. He did tell some great stories though.

>8^)
ER
Old 01-24-2004, 03:18 AM   #13
tvrfreak
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tvrfreak Send a message via Yahoo to tvrfreak

Yeah, definitely had me fooled for a long time.
tvrfreak is offline   Reply With Quote