Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 04:28 AM   #1
1mmm76
AF Newbie

Performance vs All Season

I live in Iowa & have to drive 5 days a week year round for my work. I drive a 2000 Chrysler 300M. I'm a bit confused w/ tire types. I was told Performance tires aren't great for winter & that I need All Season tires. Looking on line I see tires listed as "Performance All Season", "Car & Minivan", & "Winter". When I click on "Performance All Season" tires for a quote the next pages just calls it a "Performance" tire. What kind are truly All Season?
1mmm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

Re: Performance vs All Season

"Performance" has to do with speed rating - and contrary to popular opinion, you actually need a tire that is capable of much more than the speed you normally travel at. I think H rated tires should be the standard as they hardly ever fail.

"All Season" has to do with the ability to handle snow - and the range is from "some" to "absolutely outstanding!".

So you can have all the combinations: Performance and non-performance, All Season, vs Summer. (OK the combination Summer Non-performance is a non-starter.)

But you'll have to sort this out by reading reviews. Tire Rack is a good place to do that.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Alloyboss
AF Newbie

Cool Re: Performance vs All Season

I had this same issue and im from the UK But looking through blog posts and online articles this helped me out alot!

http://www.wheelwright.co.uk/blog/20...l-season-tyres

Hope it helps.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Black Lotus
AF Regular

Re: Performance vs All Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mmm76 View Post
I was told Performance tires aren't great for winter & that I need All Season tires.
Real performance tires-- the real high end stuff, suffer a marked decrease in traction as the temperature drops. It has to do with the rubber compound of the tire tread.
Black Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels