Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 07:14 AM   #1
04Cavy
AF Newbie

Advice on system

I just bought a 2004 chevy cavalier 2 dr coupe and was wondering what the best system I could get is for my budget. Im wondering if I should replace the stock speakers first or if I can go right to a better headunit, amp, and a sub without replacing the stock speakers. I will eventually replace the stock speakers. Im looking to spend about $550-600(or maybe a little more) on a headunit, amp, and a sub. I dont know if that would be enough for a good system or not but I want something thats loud and has good quality to it.
04Cavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 07:45 AM   #2
SickVette
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SickVette Send a message via MSN to SickVette Send a message via Yahoo to SickVette
Re: Advice on system

I am assuming that none of the speakers are blown. If so replace the radio,then add an amp, or an amp and sub. Then replace the speakers. The factory speakers can handle more power than the factory radio provides. If you set the gains properly and the xover you can get some life out of those speakers till you can afford to get something better.
1 PG TiDEQ
Stinger battery,alternator,wire,cap,fuse blocks
1 JL 12w6v2
1 7" monitor in rear
MB Quart 8" 4" and tweet in each door
Custom fiberglass,plexiglas, and aluminum amp rack
carbon fiber sub enclosure
SickVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 02:10 PM   #3
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast

why would you amp the stock speakers? the stock speakers on my accord were 15rms.. they would start distorting at around 65% volume.. and you want to amp them.. not a BAD idea.. i just dont see the point.. because if you buy a LOC what kind of input voltage would you be getting to the amp? 4v? 3v? and if you did that.. and you amp wha tlike 60rms x 4 then after setting the gain to accommodate a 4v input they would be giving out 60 whole rms im sure that the stock speakers can not take 60rms..

i say u start with a head unit.. sooner or later your stock speakers will go.. this has happen to me and a few friends.. then get new speakers.. i really dont know what kind of speakers you can put in.. because i've never delt with a cavilier but most people on this forum would say go for a component set of speakers.. if your willling to cut a hole for the tweeter.. or have a place where you can mount the tweeter separately.. from my own experience i will say dont get coaxial.. the component version of the same speakers sound alot better.. but if you want to just replace the speakers.. and u dont really need that much.. then just buy some coaxials.. then get some "rear fill" or just anything decent to replace your back speakers (preferebly something with a high RMS, so you dont need to worry about distorting/bass fluttering)

then you can go one out of two ways (or both if u have enough $)
you can get the sub amp, and the sub...
i think for this you will need atleast $300 to get anything that REALLY POUNDs.. i've seen people say $200-$250 is not enough.. and its not.. seriously
or you can get a 4 speaker amp for the speakers

either way will work well but im going thru hell right now.. my car has no bass and i have no $ to buy an amp for my sub lol .. anyways good luck
aznxthuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 10:59 PM   #4
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznxthuggie
the stock speakers on my accord were 15rms.. they would start distorting at around 65% volume..

That's normal for a stock head unit to clip after the halfway point (12 o'clock postion), and sound pretty bad by 3/4 volume.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 11:29 PM   #5
SickVette
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SickVette Send a message via MSN to SickVette Send a message via Yahoo to SickVette

The point being is he can always add the speakers later when his budget permits. It is better to have headroom with the lower level speakers then to clip a better speaker with source unit power. I can not tell you how many times i have amplified stock speakers and have them play for a long time till there are problems. Some customers go two years with the stock on an amp. It comes down to how they are used/abused and the amp settings. Either way he can get the expensive equipment now on that budget and add the speakers later.
1 PG TiDEQ
Stinger battery,alternator,wire,cap,fuse blocks
1 JL 12w6v2
1 7" monitor in rear
MB Quart 8" 4" and tweet in each door
Custom fiberglass,plexiglas, and aluminum amp rack
carbon fiber sub enclosure
SickVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 07:07 AM   #6
04Cavy
AF Newbie

Well I may just get a good head unit to start so I can spend a little more on it. I can spend about 200-250 at most on a head unit then later on Ill get the amp and sub and replace the stock speakers.
Heres what Ive been thinking of getting so far:

Head unit - Kenwood Excelon KDC-X579 for $229.99 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ygWQgZa...&avf=Y&search=
Amp - Rockford Fosgate Punch P3002 for $249.99 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ygWQgZa...&avf=Y&search=
Sub - Would be fosgate not sure if I should go for 2 12", 2 10", or 1 12".

Ill atleast get a head unit for now then add the sub and amp a little later on just would like some opinions on those selections. Thanks
Old 07-04-2004, 08:28 AM   #7
PaulD
Audio Guy

a little heavy on the fosbreak stuff ........ and crutchfield doesn't usually have good prices
Old 07-04-2004, 11:29 AM   #8
loismustdie
AF Enthusiast

replace head unit, then amp for speakers, then speakers, then sub and sub amp, at my other forum this guy got 1st place in sound quality with a tru amp running stock speakers in a volkswagon, he would have one the entire competition if he had a sub
Old 07-04-2004, 04:12 PM   #9
PaulD
Audio Guy

good lord .... there must have been some pretty pathetic competition - OEM speakers are normally very poorly placed for a true sound stage.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:20 PM   #10
04Cavy
AF Newbie

So whats a good amp and sub that isnt too expensive but also has good quality/loudness. Im new to all this.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:10 PM   #11
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD
a little heavy on the fosbreak stuff ........ and crutchfield doesn't usually have good prices
i know this is off topic.. but paul have you looked at the new fosgate amps.. after they started to comply with the cea-2006 they seems to make ALOT more power.. they seem to be moving up no?

http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/u...c;f=2;t=038465

http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/u...c;f=2;t=038466
aznxthuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 06:49 PM   #12
PaulD
Audio Guy

Rockford used to be one of the premier amp companies, then they went astray. Their biggest problem was that they overheated - all rockfords would run hot - causing problems with reliability. The other problem was that they did NOT like low impedance loads .... 2 ohm stereo (4 ohm mono) was all you could hope for. I really hope they do go back to their old ways, there's always room for another top notch amp company in my book.

As for the ratings, it's not uncommon for an amp with a very loosely regulated power supply to put out twice the power at 14.4V than at 12V. Ohhh, and 14.2-14.4 Volts IS a real world voltage when the car is started. I don't venture over to the sound domain board too often, too many people on there that are high on opinions and short on facts.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:55 PM   #13
Navy I.C.
AF Enthusiast

I've been doing this for a minute and I usually go
head
speakers
speaker amps
subs
sub amps
caps and blocks
monitors