Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #1
jeslookn
AF Newbie

2000 Silverado Slides With One Tire On Ice

Hi,

We have a patch of ice around 12" to 18" around 20' long outside of our home. One day, the passenger side of the truck was on the ice and when I pressed on the brake, the pedal went down an inch, instead of the normal 3", and I could feel the ABS shaking the pedal. The truck slid past my home and I couldn't stop it. After some testing, I found that if one tire is on the ice, it will slide, I can feel the rear tire hit the ice and will slide and at some time, the pedal will go down and the truck will stop.

I talked to my mechanic and he said that he has never liked anti-lock brakes and this could be normal for my truck. He told me he has gotten other phone calls about this same problem. I'm taking the truck in tomorrow to checked out. I've been dealing with the same shop for years and I'm happy with the service that I get. They're not out to rob me. They have been in business since the 1930s and have a very good reputation.

Any thoughts about this problem would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Jes
jeslookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:54 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 2000 Silverado Slides With One Tire On Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeslookn View Post
Hi,

We have a patch of ice around 12" to 18" around 20' long outside of our home. One day, the passenger side of the truck was on the ice and when I pressed on the brake, the pedal went down an inch, instead of the normal 3", and I could feel the ABS shaking the pedal. The truck slid past my home and I couldn't stop it. After some testing, I found that if one tire is on the ice, it will slide, I can feel the rear tire hit the ice and will slide and at some time, the pedal will go down and the truck will stop.

I talked to my mechanic and he said that he has never liked anti-lock brakes and this could be normal for my truck. He told me he has gotten other phone calls about this same problem. I'm taking the truck in tomorrow to checked out. I've been dealing with the same shop for years and I'm happy with the service that I get. They're not out to rob me. They have been in business since the 1930s and have a very good reputation.

Any thoughts about this problem would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Jes
that is how it works ............

You just buy this or just move up here in snow country ?

Now if your on solid dry pavement and it does this then the ABS needs some work to be checked out also any abs screw ups the abs light comes on....then you have the defective rusted front hub bearings. this is another reason the abs will come on ,,, on solid dry pavement.

don't waste your money ...unless you have dash failure lights on !!!!!!!
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:02 PM   #3
jeslookn
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
that is how it works ............

You just buy this or just move up here in snow country ?

Now if your on solid dry pavement and it does this then the ABS needs some work to be checked out also any abs screw ups the abs light comes on....then you have the defective rusted front hub bearings. this is another reason the abs will come on ,,, on solid dry pavement.

don't waste your money ...unless you have dash failure lights on !!!!!!!
I bought it a few months ago. The truck stops fine on dry pavement. I'm not sure what you mean by not wasting my money. We have an intersection that always has ice at the bottom of the hill. If I'm going five mph and hit that ice, I'm going to hit the car in front of me or slide into the intersection. All I have to do is have one tire on ice and I'm not going to stop. I feel like I'm a danger to everyone else on the road. My wife's stops and she has anti-lock brakes. If that's the way it works, I don't know what i'm going to do.

Thanks,

Jes
Old 01-12-2015, 07:34 AM   #4
jeslookn
AF Newbie

Any recommendations on snow tires? I've seen some that are made to have better traction on ice. How about Studded snow tires? I have all season tires. right now.

Jes
Old 01-12-2015, 08:38 AM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
I bought it a few months ago. The truck stops fine on dry pavement. I'm not sure what you mean by not wasting my money. We have an intersection that always has ice at the bottom of the hill. If I'm going five mph and hit that ice, I'm going to hit the car in front of me or slide into the intersection. All I have to do is have one tire on ice and I'm not going to stop. I feel like I'm a danger to everyone else on the road. My wife's stops and she has anti-lock brakes. If that's the way it works, I don't know what i'm going to do.

Thanks,

Jes
again that is how it works. one wheel is not moving other wheels moving the ABS then starts its programed operation which means you do not stop too well even though the other tires are not on ice !!!!!!!!!!!

having owned this vehicle 2000 silverado LT 4X4 this is what it is..

also watch out for bumps in the road because even on dry pavement the tires can bounce and then the same thing happens...
Old 01-12-2015, 08:42 AM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Any recommendations on snow tires? I've seen some that are made to have better traction on ice. How about Studded snow tires? I have all season tires. right now.

Jes
the blizzack snows work the best. on ice nothing works. with 4WD usually AT tires is all you need . this is what I have on my 2000... if 2wd then you will need these blizzacks.. also add 400-500LBS in the bed..plastic covered sand bags home depot has them..
Old 01-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #7
jeslookn
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
again that is how it works. one wheel is not moving other wheels moving the ABS then starts its programed operation which means you do not stop too well even though the other tires are not on ice !!!!!!!!!!!

having owned this vehicle 2000 silverado LT 4X4 this is what it is..

also watch out for bumps in the road because even on dry pavement the tires can bounce and then the same thing happens...
Thanks for your information. You confirmed what is happening.

Thanks,

Jes

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado