Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Neon | Plymouth Neon > 2nd Gen 00-05
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
Chromehero
AF Newbie

Lightbulb Horn problem --SOLVED

First, my thanks to everyone on this forum. Without you, I would feel like 'I was the only one with this problem....', and second, you give me relevant solutions.

Summary: Check power at the relay, check ground at the steering column.

Now, the problem was the horn quit working. It quit once before, but I chalked it up to a bad wire from the relay block to the horn. Replaced about 8 foot of wire, then the horn worked.

Come this past December (2012), and the inspection is due. Just to make sure it's ready, I do my pre-inspection checks. Uh-oh, the horn doesn't work.
Thought it was the horn pad (had iffy continuity), so replaced it with a horn button. Still no-go.
Thought it was the fuse or relay. Replaced...and still no-go.
Checked continuity/voltage on circuits at the relay. The one that is supposed to be hot all the time has no voltage. Crud. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK HERE. I ran a wire from where the hot lead enters the relay block over to/into the hole where the relay is supposed to be getting 12V constant hot.
Okay, should be good to go. Horn still does not work.
Go back into the steering wheel, replaced the clock spring. Still no horn.
Check the ground at the steering wheel. What's this??? No continuity between the metal inside the steering wheel and the negative terminal???
Oh, that's right. This is a Dodge/Plymouth Neon, and they got cheap on the wiring. I've seen this before with other problems: the wire breaks inside the insulation, connections come apart, and this time, a large hunk of metal lost ground.
Ran a wire from the negative terminal on the battery to the lower portion of the steering column support. Had to run it through the firewall, but not that difficult. Put everything back together, the horn works like a charm now.
Chromehero is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Neon | Plymouth Neon > 2nd Gen 00-05