Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Crown Victoria
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
windboater
AF Newbie

Smile pinging with premium + octane boost

I've owned my 99 Ford Crown Victoria LX since it was new. No one has worked on it except me. It's had the usual problems: cracked plastic manifold, blend-door actuator, 2 alternators, 1 water pump, upper and lower ball joints, window motors and of course those pesky coil-on-plug coils.
It has always had a tendency to ping so I have routeenly mixed high test with regular gas. Recently it has begun to ping badly regardless of the gas octane. I'm in South Florida where its usually hot and humid. The pinging stops completely after a heavy rain or if it turns cold. Not sure if its related to the humidity (lower), air density & temperture (cooler) or even bariatric pressure (low pressure weather system). no codes!
I believe its some faulty sensor causing the car computer to either over advancing the timing or lean the fuel mixture. Funny thing is today, (the next day after it rained) its still running great with no pinging but its not raining, just overcast but it is cooler by 10 degrees or so.

Things I've done:
Mass air regulator (cleaned)
Air filter (replaced)
Fuel filter (replaced 20k miles ago)
High performane COP and plugs (installed 50k miles ago)
update: changed plugs, fuel filter, found some water in fuel filter - added iso heet and filled with high test.
Now the pinging is limited to times when the car has been sitting with the engine running for an extended time (an hour or longer). the rest of the time it runs great with no pinging.
unfortunately at those times it pings a lot. it is not overheating bearly beyond mid guage. I've ordered a thoddle position sensor.

Things I'm thinking about but have not yet tried:
02 sensor (never changed).
Fuel pump, but runs great at highway speeds.
Possible carbon buildup? (has only 133k miles, running no thermostat Florida but temp still within normal range)
Bad computer? (purchased one but not yet installed because its a "pain in the A" to get to)
EGR vacuum leak but no rough idle and the problem is under load.
Thottle position sensor, but shouldn't that also effect its performance. Running great!

Has anyone had experience with this issue ? What else should I try?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160501_170148.jpg (284.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by windboater; 09-21-2016 at 01:58 PM. Reason: spelling
windboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 04:38 AM   #2
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Re: pinging with premium + octane boost

I've had pinging from a couple of things. Spark plugs with broken electrodes causing an extremely large spark gap. Cracked ignition module that slowed down the signal to send spark command and thus spark was occurring later than it should have.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:10 AM   #3
windboater
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: pinging with premium + octane boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65comet View Post
I've had pinging from a couple of things. Spark plugs with broken electrodes causing an extremely large spark gap. Cracked ignition module that slowed down the signal to send spark command and thus spark was occurring later than it should have.
Thanks for your input. Wouldn't hurt to pull out a few plugs and check it out. Don't know what I would do regarding diognosing the module except just replacing it. I'll wait on that as it work fine at time. Regards windboater
Old 09-03-2016, 09:36 PM   #4
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Best to pull all the plugs. It only was one bad one the last time it happened to me to cause the pinging.
The module was a problem mostly when it rained and got a little moisture inside on one car, and another car when it got hot and expanded. I saw the cracks which is usually the only way those are found to be the problems that I know of. A strong light and a pair of 3.00 magnification reading glasses from the drug store will usually spot them.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:45 PM   #5
windboater
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65comet View Post
Best to pull all the plugs. It only was one bad one the last time it happened to me to cause the pinging.
The module was a problem mostly when it rained and got a little moisture inside on one car, and another car when it got hot and expanded. I saw the cracks which is usually the only way those are found to be the problems that I know of. A strong light and a pair of 3.00 magnification reading glasses from the drug store will usually spot them.
I've changed four today but no bad plug so far and no change in the pinging. Tomorrow the other four plug will arrive. Thanks
Old 09-21-2016, 02:07 PM   #6
windboater
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by windboater View Post
I've changed four today but no bad plug so far and no change in the pinging. Tomorrow the other four plug will arrive. Thanks
update: changed plugs, fuel filter, found some water in fuel filter - added iso heet and filled with high test.
Now the pinging is limited to times when the car has been sitting with the engine running for an extended time (an hour or longer).
unfortunately at those times it pings a lot. it is not overheating bearly beyond mid guage. the rest of the time it runs great with no pinging. I've ordered a thoddle position sensor.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
4.6l , detonation , knock , pinging , spark
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Crown Victoria