Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 08:47 AM   #16
jon@af
The Media Guy

Send a message via AIM to jon@af
Re: BMWs are BETTER

Quote:
Originally posted by VTBMW
Just look at the facts. BMWs are just better all around. Luxury, speed , handling, someone try to proove me wrong. So to all you Merc fans.
Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink. and from what Ive seen above you've been proved wrong :finger:

AF User Guidelines <----Click and read if you don't know these.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

A Blog By Swigz

Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet; Aquila non captat muscas.
jon@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 10:46 AM   #17
Ringo
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by del
thanks for your opinion. why don't you give us some FACTS to look at and back that statement up? til then, it's just your opinion.:apoke:
I was just giving my observation, not quite the same as an opinion.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 10:53 AM   #18
BLU CIVIC
調整器

Send a message via MSN to BLU CIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to BLU CIVIC
I STILL PREFER THE BMW FOR ITS SPORTYNESS (SP)...MERCEDES SEEMS TO LUXERIOUS FOR ME....PLUS...AT AGE 23 I'M TOO YOUNG FOR A MERCEDES GOTTA WAIT TILL I'M 30-35
1991 Civic Sedan DX - 185.8whp/139tq. Tuned on NepTune by J.Mills
2006 G35 Coupe 6MT - Stock
2011 CR-Z - Stock
BLU CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 11:46 AM   #19
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
Re: Re: BMWs are BETTER

Quote:
Originally posted by snowboarder
Flaming is not tolerated on AF, so if you are going to claim that bimmers are better than mercs, you better back it up with numbers! or else everyone will think you're just a spoiled little frat boy that just got a new bimmer from daddy.
Frat boy? I believe the word is fraternity. Do you also shorten the word country in mixed company?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 03-11-2003, 02:24 PM   #20
del
móddə rąytər

Quote:
Originally posted by Ringo

I was just giving my observation, not quite the same as an opinion.
that wasn't directed to you, but to the thread starter.
del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 07:09 PM   #21
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Quote:
Originally posted by Self
BMW = Poor Man's Mercedes

Power, luxury, speed, handling, build, STATUS, IMPACT...Mercedes takes all of those categories hands down. And the two most important categories, status and impact, it absolutely dominates in. But maybe I just feel that way because my parents own two of them I'm a big Mercedes Benz fan, love 'em to death. And absolutely no problems from any of the Mercedes' my family has owned.
Power- Yes
Status- Yes
Build- questionable- but generally Yes
Impact- yes
Luxury- Yes
Speed- no
Handling-no

Like I said the difference between Mercedes Benz and BMW is that they are aiming for completely different types of people. Having driven most Mercedes Benz and BMW models I say that BMW's are much more of a drivers car is all respects- the chassis are stiffer- and the springs are harder. Also I have observed BMW's to be somewhat quicker than Merc's.

Vince- Hook me up with an M5 and I'll show you what those babies are really capable of Problem is that most of the drivers of those sorts of cars- don't know shit about driving them

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 08:24 PM   #22
sizzilinS7
AF Regular

Wait just a second, Let me list the BMW cars and suvs 3 series, 5 series, 7 series, M roadster, M3, M5, Z3, Z4, and X5. Okay let me list mercedes line of cars and Suvs, C class, E class, S class, CL, CLK,SL,SLk,G class, and ML. Ive made a table of cars that go to the same market of buyers

3 series-C class
5 series-E class
7 series-S class
M3-CLk
Z3 and Z4-SLk
X5-ML
none-SL
none-G class
M5-none
none-CL

okay BMW fans i hope youre happy because now we know that Mercedes targets a lot more people then BMW does. Dont even try to say well, "BMW targets more people because they mak motorcycles"
because Mercedes makes mini vans and a huge line of military and commercial vehicles. I dont hate BMW im just saying Mercedes is better. Oh one more thing BMW fans, dont come over to the Mercedes forum and insult them and their fans. Say it at the BMW forums, please.
sizzilinS7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 09:10 PM   #23
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Quote:
Originally posted by sizzilinS7

M3-CLk
EEEEEEhhhh.....Wrong- the M3 Competes with the CLK500 OR C32 AMG

The 3-series Coupe competes with the CLK

The upcoming 6 series will compete with the CL and the E55 AMG copetes with the M5

Old 03-17-2003, 04:02 PM   #24
crayzayjay
CFA

What a well argued thread this has been (note sarcasm)

Its really very simple. To say BMW is better than Merc or Merc is better than BMW is overly simplified and doesnt reflect much on anyone's debating ability.

The companies in question make cars that are different by nature. BMW makes more sporty cars and MB (generally) more luxurious and refined ones. Those who said Merc is more than a match for BMW in terms of speed and handling have obviously not driven rival cars from each company manufactured in the last decade. 3, 5, and 7 have all been better handlers than C, E, and S. And yes, some w*ankers do drive 330's, but so what? its still an outstanding car and some people appreciate more than just the badge. a lot of w*ankers drive SL's, Ferrari's and Porsche's, do we hate those cars? I certainly dont! It may sound like im favouring BMW, but you would be missing the point. its not all about dynamics, as the 7-series vs S-Class has shown. The 7 is a more accomplished car dynamically, but not a better ride, nor does it make the required impression, which is what "fat cats" ultimately want. And then you have the 5-series, still a match (and better in many areas) than the new E. Executive COTY for 6 years running or so, that must say something. And then you have the SL, which completely spanks the Z8... its really not as simple as everyone's making it out to be. So lets keep the arguments a little more reasoned, a la Jimster, and we might actually make a little sense

cheers

jay
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 05:14 PM   #25
Blitzen
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Blitzen Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzen
Want to be proven wrong? BMW never use forced induction, so they loose the German HP war (I like my turbos :finger: ), and also one fact -BMWs are F-U-G-L-Y.

Those who know the Evo 6 cannot explain. Those who don't know the Evo 6 cannot understand.
Blitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 05:36 PM   #26
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
Quote:
and also one fact -BMWs are F-U-G-L-Y.
that's a fact?

really?

then why do i disagree?

b/c it's not a fact. it's an opinion.

BMW doesn't use forced induction so they lose the war?

really?

i'm more impressed with a motor that can make 400hp N/A.

i'm sure if BMW were to build something that was FI, it would destroy Merc if they wanted to.

and come on... take a look at the F1 engine that BMW made in the late 80's. started as 100hp, and ended as 1300 turbo'd hp.

and that was a BMW motor. and a 4 cyl no less... not too shabby...
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 08:38 AM   #27
Blitzen
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Blitzen Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzen
-Im in the majority when I say that BMWs whole new styling direction is fugly. Even existing M5 customers and people in the whole market find the car too be fugly, and so that proves that my opinion is carried by a lot of people, and BMW WILL lose sales based on this. Its even worse from a relative point of view, when you compare the car to an aggressive looking E39 M5. Same thing with the Evo 8, when you compare the looks of it to the Evo 6. So if the sales will go down for BMW, then I am sure that my opinion, although just that, is significant. Just look at Audi's styling - its far better (opinion as well, but most of the market thinks that - and I know this as I have done a comprehensive marketing project on these cars).

-The whole power issue doesnt bother me, but I like too see them use them. This does not matter too me, but this has also meant less sales, so you can say that MB are kicking BMW's ass in all areas (MB have good looking cars as well). BMW seem too have problems on customer satisfaction.

Those who know the Evo 6 cannot explain. Those who don't know the Evo 6 cannot understand.
Blitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 08:40 AM   #28
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
if you're talking about the newer styling for the cars that are coming out now, like the new 740, and the redesigned 3 and 5 series...

i whole heartedly agree...
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:35 PM   #29
BlOOe46
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to BlOOe46
Quote:
Originally posted by Blitzen
Want to be proven wrong? BMW never use forced induction, so they loose the German HP war (I like my turbos :finger: ), and also one fact -BMWs are F-U-G-L-Y.
actually they have used turbos in the past, on previous 5/7s
Old 04-25-2003, 07:17 PM   #30
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Quote:
Originally posted by BlOOe46

actually they have used turbos in the past, on previous 5/7s

and the 2002 Turbo