Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-13-2001, 04:07 PM   #1
Adam
AF Enthusiast

Arrow

sa, which do you think! I think the M Roadster is just a great bulldog, which is awesome, until the svelte S2000 came along. WOOOOO be still my beating heart.
Old 02-13-2001, 04:20 PM   #2
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
This is a hard choice to make, to me, all of em are unattractive
But I'd probably take the TT.
Old 02-13-2001, 04:50 PM   #3
pontiac_ws6
AF Newbie

I'd probably take the S2000, and supercharge it. I like the beamer too, I'd take any one of them.
pontiac_ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 03:02 PM   #4
Adam
AF Enthusiast

IGOR!!! I'm ashamed in you.
Old 02-15-2001, 04:49 AM   #5
texan
Writer Mod

Since you didn't say Boxster S, it's definitely an arguement. The Audi I throw out right away, since my drive in one wasn't impressive. Not enough power considering it's price, the awd didn't seem to really improve things (just remove some fun factor), and the interior is like sitting in a cave when the top is up. The chassis tuning is geared towards safety, not serious driving, so it's not my kind of ride at this price level.

The Beemer has a nice torquey engine, but it just doesn't come alive with revs the way I like. Don't get me wrong, I like effortless speed, but the motor is almost too smooth in it's delivery for my liking, as though it lost it's soul somewhere along the engineering path (a fault I think most BMW motors have, but I'm virtually alone in this regard). The chassis isn't at the level of the Boxster or S2000 either, but it's certainly fun to drive, with tail out action only a throttle blip away. It is one of the better looking cars here IMO, having the classic long nose/ short rear deck the original roadsters must possess. Make this a solid second choice, tied with the Boxster in overall appeal and performance for the money.

The Boxster's styling doesn't suit me, it's nose is completely devoid of character and the interior is below German standards. The engine needs more power (addressed fully in the Boxster S), but the suspension is damn near perfection. Nothing in this class has quite the reflexes of the S2000, but this one has better manners combined with nearly as agile handling. If it was about 10k cheaper, it would deifnitely win.

The S2000 needs a bigger engine by about .5 liters and probably a couple more cylinders, if it's to be truly world class. It should also have a proper glass rear window (cars costing nearly 10k less have rear glass), and the damn dirty digital guage cluster MUST go. But that's about it. Some may fault it's looks, but certainly the beauty of this car lies in the drive. No current car sold in America has quite the agility of this one, and when a competent driver wrings it's neck it rewards like few others. Really, the only unfortunate thing about this car is that you must drive it like you stole it to think it anything special. It feels as docile and reliable as a Civic when driven at anything other than 10/10th's, and does the daily grind a bit too good for a true performance vehicle. Credit Honda for this one, a common genetic trait apparent in anything they've made (aside from perhaps the "R" cars). In terms of performance for the dollar and plain ol' track worthiness, nothing beats it right now. As soon as they address the lack of torque, the car will be a hard one to argue with at the track.

Just my 02 cents
Old 02-15-2001, 03:03 PM   #6
Gordon
AF Newbie

hmmm

Why did you take the M roadster to this comparison. The M roadster is a supercar compared to the other ones. But anyway I would go for the Boxster
Old 02-17-2001, 02:58 PM   #7
Adam
AF Enthusiast

because the M Roads is better then the Z3, and the z3 is too low for this competition. I agree the digital gauge must go, but it's still an awesome car. Why doesn't anyone say the M Roaster?
Old 02-19-2001, 02:17 PM   #8
ichthus
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to ichthus Send a message via AIM to ichthus Send a message via Yahoo to ichthus
4. The Audi TT is what I believe to be a perfect car for your wife. No offense to any ladies out there It's beautiful, and any garage would be lucky to contain one...but it lacks the performance to really get me excited. Even the 220hp Quattro is just a little below par. In short, I'd love to own one but don't want to claim it as my own...call it a male ego thing.

3. Porsche. Few names draw such respect. In the Boxster I see a car for my neighbors to own Nice to have on the block but too plain and quite nearly below the standards of most Porsches. I'd rather find myself a nice 928.

2. Without doubt, the Bimmer is the obvious and logical choice here. It has the name, the style, the performance. I don't like it. The body is aging and the whole car just reminds me of an old MG for some reason. I can picture them in 20 years as such. I can't really fault the car, but it just seems to lack character for me...or perhaps it lacks my character.

1. The Honda S2000 is exactly the car I want. I drive every car as hard as possible 90% of the time anyways, just because I enjoy it so much. I love hitting the redline a couple times a day just because. The styling isn't overly provocative, but it's perfectly balanced with great detail. The interior is wonderfully snug and just fits me perfect. The shiftthrow is amazingly short and simple. But please, no red leather...
Old 02-19-2001, 05:22 PM   #9
enzo@af
Old Mod

Send a message via ICQ to enzo@af Send a message via AIM to enzo@af
M Roadster...

I hate the looks of the TT, don't really get much out of the S2000. So, it comes down to a battle between the boxster and the Bimmer. Well, I'd prefer a mid-engined car for it's handling, but I prefer the looks of the M roadster. Besides...my girlfriend likes Z3's, so I'd have to take it for her.
Old 02-19-2001, 10:09 PM   #10
C-MURDER
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to C-MURDER
I'll take the S2000. I just love the way it looks, and it seems like a car that you can drive really hard and still be reliable.
Old 02-20-2001, 07:13 AM   #11
Bean Bandit
AF Enthusiast

I'd take the M Roadster (or better the M Coupe). It has plenty of power and although it's older than the others it, without a question, can compet with -em
Bean Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 08:49 AM   #12
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

okay, the audi is ASS slow, and heavy
the porsche is okay, but it's slow too

for me it would be the M or the S2000, this is tough

i think overall i'd go with the M, just because it's fast, and i still like the styling, it's evil

The S2000 interior isn't too nice either
gang$tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 09:45 PM   #13
R33
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to R33
The Audi TT looks really nice but snail paced! Would buy it for my wife!
The Beamer, like any other Beamer is plain boring! I am with you Texan when you said that the smooth delivery is way tooooooo smooth. Docile as a cat on morphine!! Would rather drive a Honda Accord or a Camry!! I mean a roadster should be fun. Docile is not fun! It's sleep inducing.
The Boxster looks nice too. No power though. Handles quite well until you push it to the limit! To me, the Audi,Beamer and Boxter are all overrated and overpriced!
The 2000 would be my choice here. Engine is very responsive although it could be better. Handles superbly. But still wouldn't buy it!!
Would buy a TVR instead!

R33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 10:44 AM   #14
Gordon
AF Newbie

Re: hmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Gordon
Why did you take the M roadster to this comparison. The M roadster is a supercar compared to the other ones. But anyway I would go for the Boxster
What about Z3 2.8
Old 03-24-2001, 04:52 PM   #15
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Lightbulb S2000

As long as we're not drag racing or driving in a big oval, I'll take the S2000. If the ratio of curves to straights is equal or better, the S2000's "point and shoot" handling would tear up the track.
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote