Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 03:22 AM   #31
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: 50 fastest affordable imports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman10587
I don't. The USDM versions are built like crap.

I wouldn't say crap, most EVO owners don't have major problems, but I wouldn't call them the most reliable, but crap, please... I know you had some buddy who had trouble with his EVO and trouble with a local Mitsubishi dealership, but your experience does not represent the entire Mitsubishi EVO experience of most. Get over it and move on, sh*t it wasn't even your car, stop hating. Also the EVO MR has been reported to have 280HP+, not surprising you would leave the plus out, and just say 280HP.
3000ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:44 PM   #32
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587
Re: 50 fastest affordable imports?

I say 280 because every article I've read on it quotes the USDM version at 280 HP and 295 torque. Automakers underrate/overrate cars all the time, I'm not going to put a + or - by every HP figure.

What am I supposed to think of the Evo, when the only two I've ever seen had clutch/tranny problems that Mitsu refuses to fix? I'm not saying my experience represents the whole Evo community, but it represents to me that they aren't built that well.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 05:05 PM   #33
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman10587
I say 280 because every article I've read on it quotes the USDM version at 280 HP and 295 torque. Automakers underrate/overrate cars all the time, I'm not going to put a + or - by every HP figure.

What am I supposed to think of the Evo, when the only two I've ever seen had clutch/tranny problems that Mitsu refuses to fix? I'm not saying my experience represents the whole Evo community, but it represents to me that they aren't built that well.
I'm sorry that you had two bad experiences with EVOs, but like I said your experiences doesn't necessarily mean this is the experiences that most EVO owners go through. Please check out this poll in which some of the issues you have brought up in the past are addressed-

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=90780
Old 07-26-2004, 05:13 PM   #34
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

there is a guy on here buy the name of 2000ls1. he has a evo and had to replace the clutch within i beleive a month or two of having the car
Old 07-26-2004, 06:51 PM   #35
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

but is that because of bad car or bad driving?

i mean, remember that this is a car that is meant to be driven hard and fast,
and most people do.
result = the occasional bad gear change, clutch slips, gears grind....

to cite another example.
driven hard (i.e track use), the old elise vhpd eats a clutch every 3000 miles, not to mention what it does to the engine....
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:00 PM   #36
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken monkey
but is that because of bad car or bad driving?

i mean, remember that this is a car that is meant to be driven hard and fast,
and most people do.
result = the occasional bad gear change, clutch slips, gears grind....

to cite another example.
driven hard (i.e track use), the old elise vhpd eats a clutch every 3000 miles, not to mention what it does to the engine....

Well for a while I used to say the same thing: "Its the users" but what changed my mind was when C&D did a comparo between an offroad bike and an evo. The evo was driven by last year's SCCA's Pro Rally Champion (on an evo). At the end of the day they had to tow the car back since the clutch died. You cannot say that it was driver error with one of the best US rally drivers at the wheel.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:59 PM   #37
klohiq
AF Enthusiast

The sentra you have listed is a 2.5L actually...everything else seemed to be alright...

personally I don't think this should be stickied...because it's purely an opinion of what 50 cars should be on it...are we talking about used and new or just new cars? because I doubt there are 50 cars that are even quick that are also imports and affordable...and by affordable you definitely have a very open opinion...most car buyers are looking at under 25k...tops 30k for a sporty car that isn't necessarily practical...

We all can dream, but what's the point...I'd rather be enjoying an rx7 r1 or mr2 turbo than thinking about the new evo coming out and how if I spent all my college savings and sold everything I own I might be able to make to payments...No offense to anyone who can afford it...it's just most of us can't.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:08 PM   #38
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino
Well for a while I used to say the same thing: "Its the users" but what changed my mind was when C&D did a comparo between an offroad bike and an evo. The evo was driven by last year's SCCA's Pro Rally Champion (on an evo). At the end of the day they had to tow the car back since the clutch died. You cannot say that it was driver error with one of the best US rally drivers at the wheel.
Heh, I remember reading about this. And just for the record, my friend never once launched the car, and he grinded the gears maybe once or twice within 3000 miles. The clutch still died. I have no idea why Mitsubishi refuses to recall the car, I guess they don't have the money to be able to do that.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:45 PM   #39
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

yep, and you can say its the user but how many other cars you know of clutch going out in the first month with only 2 launches and no grinding? i launched my car probably 20 times before the clutch ever went out and that was at 130,000 miles.

how bout 3000 miles. doesnt make much sense does it.

and about the mitsu not able to afford it. within the mitsubishi world, rumor is mitsu is going out of business. there is 2 dealerships that have shut down up here in the past 2 months. and my city isn't the only one. its been in papers and all
Old 07-27-2004, 12:26 AM   #40
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

When Daimler-Chrysler cut off funding to Mitsubishi Motors, they probably would have died if the other Mitsubishi companies didn't bail them out. It's not just a rumor, it's gonna happen if Mitsubishi doesn't start selling some cars soon. The new Galant isn't doing too well against the Mazda 6 and the Accord EX V6, nor is the Lancer doing very well against the Mazda 3 and Civic EX.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:27 AM   #41
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

The evo was driven by last year's SCCA's Pro Rally Champion (on an evo). At the end of the day they had to tow the car back since the clutch died

well, the thing is, this is slightly 'skewed' too cos the car doesn't use the same clutch (or gearbox)that the proper rally car does.
imagine how much stress it must have been through?

a few years back, (i can't remember who) took a mondeo st200 for a few laps around a touring car track for a comparison to his full on mondeo touring car.
he more or less wrecked the gear box.
y'know, if driven normally by normal people, the gearbox would be fine....

y'know.
i'm not defending the car here,
just want to throw some other factors into the open.
also, i should point out that there haven't been many reports of dodgy clutches on evo's around here.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:35 AM   #42
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken monkey

well, the thing is, this is slightly 'skewed' too cos the car doesn't use the same clutch (or gearbox)that the proper rally car does.
imagine how much stress it must have been through?

y'know.
i'm not defending the car here,
just want to throw some other factors into the open.
also, i should point out that there haven't been many reports of dodgy clutches on evo's around here.

I know they ussually use sequentials on rally cars, but even then I'm sure the guy has to know what he is doing. You don't get to be a rally champion by being a crappy driver.

And I'm not surprised that you guys don't get as many problems with your EVOs. remember you're getting the whole thing with AYC Active Diff etc...and the best explanation I found for the clutch failure is that the clutch is designed to work with a different center diff running different transfer rates and not the viscous pasive 50:50 diff the US gets.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:39 AM   #43
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

You guys are assuming that most EVO owners have been having major problems with their clutches. While I don't doubt there are cases (perhaps more than usual) where clutches have been a problem, to use a few cases to represent a whole is ridiculous. I have already shown you evidence that most of Mitsubishi community have not reported problems, until you provide proof of other wise (other than a few cases), such as atleast 40% of Mitsubishi EVO owners reporting clutch failure, than what you are typing really doesn't have any legs to stand on.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:20 AM   #44
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

You see I am open to other's opinion, but honestly what you guys are typing really does not have any legs to stand on. I consider myself a potential Mitsubishi EVO customer, and honestly if there are major clutch failures being reported by Mitsubishi EVO owners than yes it is something of big concern to me. So please if you guys have any information proving that it is something of an absolute major concern than yes I am all ears or eyes in this case since we are on the internet. But as of now, all you guys have given me, is a few cases of problems, so should I listen to you and your few examples of very pre-mature clutch failures or should pay most of my attention to the countless numbers of polls on this particular subject in which 80% or more actual Evolution owners have stated to not have any major problems with their clutches? I'm sorry the latter evidence is just a lot more convincing in my opinion.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:00 AM   #45
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

you mean, you guys get different evos to the uk?

how the hell does that work?
how can you sell a car called evo whatever in the states that is actually different to the evos in the rest of the world?

no offence but that seems rather silly to me.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons