Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 09:40 AM   #1
larsrock
AF Newbie

GMC Truck fuel pump burnout

I have a GMC 1997 truck (1500). Two years ago the truck fuel pump burned out. Two months ago it burned out again and it has burned our twice since then - yup, three fuel pumps in two months. The first lasted two years, the second one week, the third 20 minutes, and the most recent was almost two months. I know something about engines, etc. from my limited experience working on cars mayb 20 to 10 years ago, but I do not work on my truck other than routine work. A trusted mechanic has replaced the pump every time and I am sure the work is good workmanship. I am assuming the problem is perhaps an electrical short, the computer, etc. However, I do not know.

Anyone out there have similar problems with the fuel pump? Perhaps on a GMC or other General Motors vehicle?

I will appreciate any help that I can muster. Thanks.

Bob
larsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:16 PM   #2
comp
AF Regular

IF you trust your mechanic is checking everthing not a clue..
do you run any additive's in you fuel, alcohol,ethenol, ??????????
comp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 11:52 AM   #3
michelq
AF Regular

Re: GMC Truck fuel pump burnout

Gm-acdelco.
Ford-motorcraft.
Dodge-mopar
michelq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:43 PM   #4
MSpring
AF Newbie

fuel pump burnout

I think my fuel pump may be going on my 1996 gmc 5.7, I changed it about 5 months ago but the pump seems to whine really loud all of the time. I also seem to have a problem when I am down under a half of a tank of gas and I floor the gas from a dead start, the engine cuts out totally for a second then goes back on again. Has anyone else experienced this before? I have changed the sending unit, fuel pump, fuel filter, metering body, injector seals, fuel pressure regulator, intake gaskets upper and lower and did a full tune up. Any suggestions?
MSpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 12:02 AM   #5
72_Chev_Truck
AF Newbie

One of the most common causes of fuel pump burnout is a clogged fuel filter. If thats not the problem have the fuel regulator checked, if its not releasing some pressure the pump is trying to run at a very high pressure and will fatigue the motor quickly. Also if you drive around a lot with 1/4 tank or less your pump is not cooling well due to not being surrounded by fuel.
72_Chev_Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:14 PM   #6
eaglewisard
AF Newbie

ground wires

check and double check ground connection from wiring harness fuelpump tank
to frame
eaglewisard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 12:23 AM   #7
lodownlv
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to lodownlv Send a message via Yahoo to lodownlv
if you where to do some research you would find that is a common problem for the fuel pump to go in these trucks. to fix your problem 100% that if you replace the fuel pump strainer and fuel pump wire harnes you will fix the problem. another thing to go is the fuel pump relay sometimes it unsticks it self and cuts power off to the pump this will cause fuel cut off their is no way for the fuel to back feed through the pump as their is a 1 way valve to keep the fuel from back feading into the pump. finaly make sure you clean your tank when you remove with a fuel tank cleaner. this would most likely solve your issues.
lodownlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:00 PM   #8
arctic_front
AF Newbie

another thing I've heard that causes these problems is using gass-line antifreeze of the wrong type. make sure you use the stuff for EFI engines.
arctic_front is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:15 PM   #9
j_av18
AF Newbie

i have this same problem with my 1998 chevy pickup. I am oon my 3rd fuel pump.now my truck wont start and i checked the pressure via the line going to the intake and the is now pressure at the valve stem,but you can here the fuel pump itself running. It also turns over really rough has anyone else had this similar problem?
j_av18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:01 PM   #10
dogbreath077
AF Regular

Very common problem with chevy/gmc trucks. there is a redesigned fuel pump module with a redesigned wiring harness. Also replace the fuel filter and really really make sure that the ground is good. this is not a cheap fix.
If the pump runs, but there is no pressure, disconnect the line and run the pump. Broken impellers are common in these pumps and the motor will run, but the pump won't move any gas.
Hard starting is also common. Leaking fuel injectors and leaking pressure regulators are also common, ask for diagnostic procedure if you wnat it. Napa or any other parts store carries those, have fun pulling the upper intake to replace those. Have fun boys.
dogbreath077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 01:16 AM   #11
turkeyman66720
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to turkeyman66720
Re: Re: GMC Truck fuel pump burnout

have had the same problem with my 87 tbi truck, now i'm not clamming anything just what i did.. had to replace mine every few months finnaly with with a good pump "name brand" not some over the counter parts store "you Know them" and haven't had to replace yet in over a year so far well my 2 cent's and after christmas all i have left lol. just make sure in my case that you buy good pump not off brand, even high doller with life time warrenty like i had just didn't do it for me.
turkeyman66720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 11:57 AM   #12
scannr89
AF Newbie

I have seen oil pressure sending unit/fuel pump cut off stick and keep pump running for too long causing pump burn out , hope this helps
scannr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:25 AM   #13
kookaburra
AF Newbie

Similar problem here. I have a 1996 GMC 1500 5L.
I have had three replacement pumps in the last two years. The theory has been clogged fuel filter/bad fuel stressing the pump to failure each time.
The first replacement lasted 13 months preceded by some hard starting. The second lasted 11 months and the current one seems to be failing after 7.
My mechanic says the fuel check valve was failing/had failed causing fuel pressure to drop. His GMC friend says to use a GMC pump. The replacements have been Autozone's brand.
Is a failing fuel pump relay likely to cause the pump's check valve to fail? Is this a common thread with aftermarket pumps?

Any additional feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks, Colin
kookaburra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:25 PM   #14
silverado122775
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_av18
i have this same problem with my 1998 chevy pickup. I am oon my 3rd fuel pump.now my truck wont start and i checked the pressure via the line going to the intake and the is now pressure at the valve stem,but you can here the fuel pump itself running. It also turns over really rough has anyone else had this similar problem?

You will need to replace the Fuel regulator
silverado122775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:36 PM   #15
irishdemon
AF Newbie

I used to own a 1995 GMC stepside pickup and had so many problems with the fuel pump. Must have replaced them at least 5 times, then there wasn't enough spark. now I own a 1996 GMC Savana van, and it's having the same problems. Replaced the fuel pump at least three times, took it to the GM dealership, who couldn't diagnose the problem. they replaced the wiring harness. Eventually replaced the pump with a heavier duty pump for a bigger van. this seem to work for about a year, now the van stopped running. replaced the full pump again (Napa parts). the van runs but it looses power on the freeway. seems to run ok when still. does anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this problem for good. depend on this van for our livelihood. why aren't there any recalls since it seems so many people have the same problems.
irishdemon is offline   Reply With Quote