Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 04:21 AM   #16
myunghoon
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to myunghoon
Re: #$@^!%&!$# TESTORS!!!!

the two testors spraycans that i bought gave me shoddy results. severe orange peel. now like some of you guys said, if i were skilled enough, i may be able to sand it and polish it to perfection, but i'm not that good yet.

HOWEVER, i do not doubt my prep-work as the primer was beautifully laid on. my first time using primer, but it was good.

and like you guys said...probably the difference between lacquers and enamels.

i'm going to strip it with the castrol super clean and then repaint with tamiya only.
myunghoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 10:03 AM   #17
v3rs3
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to v3rs3
I agree with the person who said Testor's is hit or miss. I've had good paint jobs with Testor's and really crappy paint jobs. I've used Testor's for a while, I just recently switch over to Tamiya paints. I really like Tamiya paints much more. Easier to use.
v3rs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 10:14 AM   #18
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric

I also used testor a lot.. got some good result, but it's so much a hit & miss, not worth the money

take a look in my gallery. Ferrari 360 Spider, Peugeot 206 WRC, Subaru Imprezza WRC, Mitsubishi Evo5 are all Hit.. but there is also a lot of miss that isn't in the gallery becose of this (GT Supra, Porsche Boxster, Mustang 99) and some other that are in the gallery, but needed a lot of sanding to get rid of the first bad paint (Lexus IS300, Mini Cooper, Porsche GT3, Mustang Fastback etc..)

So now i'm only using tamiya, and beside some small inperfection that is workable with LIGHT sandpaper and compound, it's always a perfect paint

Maybe I'm now skilled, or maybe Testor just blow
Vric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 07:16 PM   #19
myunghoon
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to myunghoon

i think testors just blows~:P
myunghoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 07:40 PM   #20
minniebanister
AF Regular

Re: Re: #$@^!%&!$# TESTORS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRIVATEER
I have NEVER had a problem with Tamiya spray due to bad paint. They do not seem to cover as much as Testors
Are you talking about enamel, lacquer, or acrylic?
minniebanister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 07:53 PM   #21
PRIVATEER
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to PRIVATEER

I was refering to the spray lacquer. However I do use Tamiyas acrylics to paint things other than car bodies ,and I love it.
PRIVATEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 08:09 PM   #22
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Testors spray cans are bad because some are good, some aren't...their quality can be anywhere from decent to unusable to the point they'll ruin a model. Tamiya TS=consistent excellent quality.

Testors enamels airbrush beautifully, but I hate their spray cans, and find Tamiya well worth the extra $$.

I wrote a book on airbrushing, but 95% of my bodies are painted w/Tamiya spray cans. They're that good. Testors is used when I need to custom mix a color, which it does quite well, and enamels lay down very nice and smooth from an airbrush where you control the spray...the cans have nearly zero control, they just gush out way too much paint at once, cause spattering, orange peel, runs, etc. I airbrush acrylic flats and semi-glosses for details.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:15 PM   #23
jaykit21
Banned

I agree with the consensus here that Testors enamel spray cans are for the most part crap. Although, Testors enamels through an airbrush are excellent. I like to use them to make custom colors outside of the range of possibilities that Tamiya sprays offer. Also, enamels, whatever brand they might be, just don't perform as well as laquers sprayed out of a can. For future reference, airbrush enamels (for body colors) and I promise you won't be disappointed.
jaykit21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 09:44 PM   #24
pflau
AF Regular

yes I agree that testors enamel through an airbrush is excellent.. much better than any acrylic. thats why I prefer to airbrush model master enamel whenever I can.
Fujimi Lamborghini Countach LP500S Enthusiast Model (no end to that!)
pflau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 09:53 PM   #25
p9o1r1sche

Testors spray cans are good for spraying into a jar and then put it through an airbrush.
p9o1r1sche is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling