Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
okiedokey
AF Newbie

engine swap

i'm new to the forum and may need some guidance. Have a nice '92 conv with dead engine and would like to swap engine and trans with a '93 storm 1.6 ltr and trans that I have. what are my greatest fears?
okiedokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Crvett69
AF Moderator

Re: engine swap

if this is a metro your putting the engine in its not really worth the trouble
your going to have lots of issues, the storm engine is actually made by isuzu so nothing is going to bolt in, will need to make your own engine mounts and spots to mount them, none of the engine wiring or computer will fit. you will have to have some customs axles made up. exhaust is different. shifter won't work or line up. will need a bigger radiator and car will be nose heavy because the storm has a cast iron block. skip the storm engine and put a 3 cyl back in it or if you must have a 4 cyl at least get one out of a swift GT or 4 cyl swift or metro, they are more a less a drop in and a lot less work
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crvett69 For This Useful Post:
okiedokey (03-07-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
Metro Mighty Mouse
AF Regular

He's right, what you're talking about doing is putting an Isuzu Impulse drive-train into a Suzuki Swift.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
okiedokey
AF Newbie

thanks for the feed back the trans is an auto so was hoping the cable routing would not be a huge issue but yes we were figuring the mounts and wiring harness will be an adventure
Old 03-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Crvett69
AF Moderator

before you get all carried away spending couple thousand dollars buying all the custom parts you need the engine will need to go into car same way it came out of the storm or it will go backwards real fast and forward real slow because of the way the tires rotate in drive. also you will need to make sure the axles have a straight shot to the hubs and not a severe angle or its is going to eat axles like crazy. i am sure your still going to wear then out like crazy cause the outer end of axle will have to be the metro one to match the splines in the hub. still think a swift GT will be a cheaper and easier swap the trying to drop the isuzu in
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
okiedokey
AF Newbie

My son has recently acquired a 95' geo metro, with a 4-cylinder, and another couple questions arose after having read your replies.
#1, would the Storm motor by any chance fit into the 95' Metro instead of the 92'?
#2, would the 4-cylinder from the 95'Metro fit into the 92'?

P.s.:: All of these vehicles are running automatic transmissions.

P.P.S:: Would There be any chance that the outer hub from a Geo Storm might fit into either of the metro's?

Both my son and I are interested in the adventure of these possible outcomes, yet we're simply trying to gather some info from some more so experienced mechanics, being that neither my son or I are necessarily veterans in this field.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
Metro Mighty Mouse
AF Regular

The fact that both vehicles are Geos does not have any bearing on the parts that are used. The 2 vehicles are as different as a Jeep and a Ford. Any attempt to put the motor and trans in anything except an Isuzu will require building everything between the motor and car from scratch. Lots of money unless you are a capable machinist and have the equipment available to you. All Geo Metro/ Suzuki Swift engines and transmissions will interchange between the different years with some work. The 95 will fit the 92 with some work. The information that would be useful for the swap is available on other metro websites. Do a search on Swift GT engine swap and you should get an idea of what is involved.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
okiedokey
AF Newbie

a big thanks to both mighty mouse and crvette69. you have been a big help and may have to pick your brains more in the near future. thanks again