Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Prelude
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 01:39 AM   #1
drmeyers2001
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to drmeyers2001
88 Si questions. Advice on parts needed

Well...I've finally decided to actually start work on my 88 Si. A few questions. I am looking to get an intake system, header and new suspension/strut bars as well as fix my fuel injection. My car presently idles horribly if I have had it running, then leave it for 20 mins, then turn it back on. The first question is if I should just get regular fuel injectors or try to find some performance ones? Would performance ones make much of a difference? The 2nd question is regarding my suspension. Any suggestions on my best course of action to take? I've been looking at some gas shocks (priced around $300 for all 4), but I'm not sure. My friend has told me I should just get a new strut bar. And then regarding an intake, I was looking at a Weapon R Air Intake from 2kracing for $150. Let me know what you think. I'd really appreciate it.
drmeyers2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:17 AM   #2
Prelewd
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Prelewd
Re: 88 Si questions. Advice on parts needed

Generally, intakes are going to give you the same gain no matter what. Personally, I went with a K&N drop-in filter and it worked great for me.

Gas shocks are great, especially dual chambered gas shocks. Excellent ride quality, stiff through corners, and sometimes adjustable. They might, however, be a little pricey depending on what you get.

I would also invest in some springs. "Sport" springs if you don't want to go too low, but want a somewhat stiffer ride, and "race" springs if you want that slammed car that rides on rails. You do sacrifice some driveability with the race springs though, IE: going over speedbumps and scraping, or just feeling every little crevice in the road.

I would go with a rear strut bar first, if not both at the same time. Rear strut bars will eliminate some of the understeer and give you a more balanced and controlled ride around corners. Front strut bars are not as important on a FF (front engine, front wheel drive) car because you want a little chassis flex to keep your front wheels on the ground. A stiff rear bar is a valuable asset. My car felt very different after I installed mine.

If I were you, I'd spend my first few hundred dollars restoring the car and fixing all the little things wrong with it. While doing this, I'd do research. There are some valuable sites on the net dedicated to preludes. IM me on AIM if you have any questions, or just ask them here.

Soon..

Cars:
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo
1992 Honda Prelude Si 4WS H22a Swap - For Sale
1965 Chevrolet 1/2 Ton - 500ci Cadillac Cometh
1970 Datsun 240z - For Sale
1972 Datsun 240z - For Sale
1977 Datsun 280z - For Sale
1991 Infiniti Q45 - Engine Donor to 240z - Parting out the Rest
Sold Cars:
1976 Jaguar XJ-S - Rear end Donor to Chev Pickup
1992 Honda Prelude Si
1971 Datsun 240z
1984 Civic 1500 Hatch
Prelewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 07:29 AM   #3
sofast
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to sofast Send a message via MSN to sofast Send a message via Yahoo to sofast
I would suggest everything prelewd said and mostly about the springs. I made the mistake of buying lowering springs and was not happy with the ride. I had to spend more money to buy sport springs. Tokico makes a good shock. I bought them on ebay for $269.00 shipped for my 88 Si. As for the header. There isn't much available for our 88s. I know that DC doesnt have the available anymore. Some distributers may have a few left. I had a hard time finding mine a year ago. I do know that Pacesetter has them. I dont know much about them though. If you need any help for your 88 let me know. I can help you find what you are looking for.
sofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 08:10 AM   #4
sofast
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to sofast Send a message via MSN to sofast Send a message via Yahoo to sofast
I was given this web site for 3rd gen Preludes. [url]www.prelude3g.com[url] It has some ideas for your prelude

Old 04-13-2004, 11:28 AM   #5
AcesHigh
Prelude Guy

Send a message via AIM to AcesHigh
Re: 88 Si questions. Advice on parts needed

I have heard that Weapon R products are terrible in quality. The filter material on their intakes breaks off and gets sucked into the engine. Just do the K&N filter on a stick.

Larger fuel injectors and fuel pumps are useless without the proper electronics to control them. And even a VAFC or SAFC is not proper electronics. Just clean your fuel injectors and make sure they're running in tiptop shape.

As for lowering, you do have to be more careful driving in a lowered car. You can break bumpers and scrape exhaust pipes on potholes.

And this is a little offtopic but, sofast, is that your car? I love it.

1993 Mazda Rx-7 Touring
Ricer Extraordinaire
AcesHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 02:49 PM   #6
sofast
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: 88 Si questions. Advice on parts needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh
I have heard that Weapon R products are terrible in quality. The filter material on their intakes breaks off and gets sucked into the engine. Just do the K&N filter on a stick.

Larger fuel injectors and fuel pumps are useless without the proper electronics to control them. And even a VAFC or SAFC is not proper electronics. Just clean your fuel injectors and make sure they're running in tiptop shape.

As for lowering, you do have to be more careful driving in a lowered car. You can break bumpers and scrape exhaust pipes on potholes.

And this is a little offtopic but, sofast, is that your car? I love it.

I have busted my front bumper already with lowering coils (but its fixed now). Take his advice and get good springs.

Off topic this is my ride. I still have a lot of work to do though