Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
jeeplover93
AF Newbie

Teenager buying their first car

Alright, so I'm saving up money to buy my first car. I can probably get around $4000. I need an SUV and I want it to be really nice, just because I like nice things.
I'm looking into mainly a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and a Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer.
I know cars well, but I want to know peoples experiences with these cars... Insurance costs, repairs, gas mileage, etc...
Which would you recommend for a teenager who will be using this car for a mobile detailing service and daily use?

Here are some examples of cars I've looked into:
  • http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=279064463&dealer_id=100018576& car_year=2000&engine=&fuel=&lastStartYear=1981&sor t_type=priceDESC&systime=&default_sort=priceDESC&d rive=&style_flag=1&body_code=0&sownerid=55989668&s eller_type=b&min_price=&color=&model=EXPLOR&keywor ds_display=&advanced=y&distance=500&doors=&keyword srep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&awsp=false&search_l ang=en&showZipError=y&rdm=1279422136886&marketZipE rror=false&keywordsfyc=&feature7=leather%20seats&s earch_type=both&transmission=&max_price=4599&max_m ileage=&only_price=1&end_year=2011&make=FORD&start _year=1996&certified=&num_records=100&make2=&addre ss=98033&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&car dist=16&standard=false
  • http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=282647770&dealer_id=64263729&c ar_year=1997&engine=&fuel=&lastStartYear=1981&sort _type=priceDESC&systime=&default_sort=priceDESC&dr ive=&style_flag=1&body_code=0&sownerid=55989668&se ller_type=b&min_price=&color=&model=EXPLOR&keyword s_display=&advanced=y&distance=500&doors=&keywords rep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&awsp=false&search_la ng=en&showZipError=y&rdm=1279422136886&marketZipEr ror=false&keywordsfyc=&feature7=leather%20seats&se arch_type=both&transmission=&max_price=4599&max_mi leage=&only_price=1&end_year=2011&make=FORD&start_ year=1996&certified=&num_records=100&make2=&addres s=98033&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&card ist=20&standard=false
  • http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/1848558846.html
  • http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/1845594654.html
  • http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/1841756324.html
jeeplover93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:12 AM   #2
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

Re: Teenager buying their first car

Grand Cherokee (I've got a 94') Dirt cheap to repair, maintain, and insure ($23 per moth for me with just liability)

Quote:
Your quote here!!!
Shpuker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:14 AM   #3
jeeplover93
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpuker View Post
Grand Cherokee (I've got a 94') Dirt cheap to repair, maintain, and insure ($23 per moth for me with just liability)
Sounds like a no brainer to me! What kind of repairs have you had to do? How many miles you got on yours?
Old 07-18-2010, 01:17 AM   #4
GuyFromRI
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to GuyFromRI

Well, you have some cons that definitely out-weigh the pros. For instance, to buy a nice SUV like that is great but the insurance on SUV's is outrageous compared to cars. Being a teenager with barely any driving record is going to make that much worse.

That being said, I'm not a pesimist and I admire that a young person can take the drive to save that much money for a vehicle. Jeep vs Explorer...in my eyes...Jeep all day. Better on gas, safer and for some reason, you can get an 00-02 Limited(with extensive research) for a much better deal than a ford.

WARNING: I sold Jeeps brand new. The one issue with them is the front brakes. They have to be replaced every 10k miles. Certain Jeeps do fall under the class action law suit filed against Chrysler so you CAN have them fixed for free each time but thats a lot of time sitting in the service waiting area at your local dealer. There is an upgrade that is meant to remedy this issue, sold at AutoZone, which I have heard good thing about(no personal experience with this).

JEEP: The power is amazing in the V8's, the 4X4 is second to none (literally), the ride quality is amazing and the history is there.

FORD: Power(not impressive until you get into the 04+ models with V8), options also not that impressive, 4X4(I'd have to check but I believe some of the older explorers(not EB) had manual locking hubs..if thats the case, HEAD FOR HIGH GROUND!!), MPG -- Not quite sure but if it is anything like what Ford normally puts out, eek.

Lol...I guess you can't really call me unbaised about the situation but that's my stance. Good luck! Definitely do your homework!
GuyFromRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:22 AM   #5
jeeplover93
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFromRI View Post
For instance, to buy a nice SUV like that is great but the insurance on SUV's is outrageous compared to cars. Being a teenager with barely any driving record is going to make that much worse.
I would think it would be the exact opposite... I have always thought of SUVs being safer than cars. They are bigger and could be able to survive an accident more than a car. I'd think the insurance on a Grand Cherokee would be significantly lower than one of a Honda Civic, since that seems to be the car of choice for most teenagers to "trick out" with spoilers, turbos, and other s**t.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:27 AM   #6
GuyFromRI
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplover93 View Post
I would think it would be the exact opposite... I have always thought of SUVs being safer than cars. They are bigger and could be able to survive an accident more than a car. I'd think the insurance on a Grand Cherokee would be significantly lower than one of a Honda Civic, since that seems to be the car of choice for most teenagers to "trick out" with spoilers, turbos, and other s**t.

From my experience, selling them and driving them, not the case. Although if you're talking liablitiy vs full coverage then possibly. Jeeps are also some of the top stolen vehicles and can cause much more damage in an accidenct than a civic. Either way, I wish you only the best on your hunt. Use craigslist, maybe you'll get lucky and get some crackhead who needs a fix ...it has happened
Old 07-18-2010, 01:31 AM   #7
jeeplover93
AF Newbie

Quote:
From my experience, selling them and driving them, not the case. Although if you're talking liablitiy vs full coverage then possibly. Jeeps are also some of the top stolen vehicles and can cause much more damage in an accidenct than a civic. Either way, I wish you only the best on your hunt. Use craigslist, maybe you'll get lucky and get some crackhead who needs a fix ...it has happened
Yeah, I would only get liability. As a teenager, I don't think getting full collision coverage on a $3,000 dollar car that would get totaled anyway is a very economical decision if I ever want to move out :P.

But a few years ago, my dad bought a 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited with 113,000 miles in near perfect condition for $5,000. The car was listed at $6,999 and my dad said "would you take $5,000" and the salesman just thought about it for like half a second and said "no use bickering over a few hundred dollars, why not!" We didn't mean to buy the car XD Now it has 176,000 miles and is still running strong!
Old 07-18-2010, 01:35 AM   #8
GuyFromRI
AF Newbie

lol...offer him 2500 for it!

no no..jk...there are definitely deals out there..make Craigslist your bestfriend and don't be afraid to low ball. Dealerships have a 20% + markup on used jeeps and 80% of private sellers really do need the cash and want to deal. Also, Carfax...duh. lol..Good Luck! Happy shopping(even though there's really no such thing when dealing with people selling cars)
Old 07-18-2010, 01:37 AM   #9
jeeplover93
AF Newbie

Quote:
lol...offer him 2500 for it!

no no..jk...there are definitely deals out there..make Craigslist your bestfriend and don't be afraid to low ball. Dealerships have a 20% + markup on used jeeps and 80% of private sellers really do need the cash and want to deal. Also, Carfax...duh. lol..Good Luck! Happy shopping(even though there's really no such thing when dealing with people selling cars)
Craigslist already is my best friend :] I made $50 selling stuff on there today.

I think I've already made up my mind, but I still want to hear from more people!
Old 07-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Sounds like a no brainer to me! What kind of repairs have you had to do? How many miles you got on yours?
I've had it for about a month or so, put 2,300 miles on it myself and it just ticked over 194k. Only problem I had was with the radiator because whoever had it before over filled it. so the fluid came out the reservoir and scared the shit outta me. filled it back up and it worked just fine.

O one little hint, I see old GC's with their back doors buckled in all the time, so I've got a 4" drop hitch installed upside down in mine That way the hitch will keep them from messin up the actual car.

Quote:
Your quote here!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #11
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
It depends on the SUV and on the car. Old GC's tend to be cheaper for some reason (not really sure why) than almost any other SUV, and even quite a few small cars.

Quote:
Your quote here!!!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
cherokee , explorer , ford , jeep , teen
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A