Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #1
Some_Kid
AF Enthusiast

Tamiya Toyota Supra

Hey guys so this a kit ive been working for some time. Probably two years. Muc h of the model is completed but I still have some work to do. I have a progress thread on a another forum. So ill post a few in progress shots and then show you where the model stands today.

The interior is painted with Vallejo air Tan and Black. Flocked with model master sand and black as well. I use the spray adhesive method and then use the white glue method to patch up any mistakes. The seat belt catches were scratch built from clear plastic. The gauge panel was handpainted flat black for contrast like the real car. I used model car garage hardware for seat belts and brackets for the front seats. The rear seat catches are made from clear plastic and a small piece of tamiya tape is placed underneath them to give the appearance that they are tucked into the seat

[IMG]

Two other details you'll notice is that I added speaker grills to the omitted kit parts. This was done by making a template with Tamiya tape then cut out on clear plastic. I then cut a small amount of material from a black nylon women's sock and then used spray adhesive to attach them together. Judging from reference photos I preferred this method over using any of the photo etch speaker grills available. I think it's a nice touch and looks relatively to scale.

I also made floor mats cut to shape from reference pics. This picture was before paint touch ups

Last edited by Some_Kid; 06-17-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Some_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
Some_Kid
AF Enthusiast

Re: Tamiya Toyota Supra

The engine block was painted with XF-16 flat aluminum and then I hand painted the flat block on the block but that is not visible. The upper intake and accessories were painted with model master aluminum metalizer non buffing. The gunmetal detail took quite some time to mask and get right. That was done with MM gunmetal metalizer as well. The details were picked out with strictly Vallejo paints.

I made two ignition wires from detail master and thin dia wire from hobby lobby. I used small k&s tubing to coil the wire around and serve as a crude ignition. I think it is fairly convincing.

Here's how the engine bay stands today 6/17

I painted the fan shroud and added hose clamps via bmf. That sucker is a pain to mask and detail. I also added battery cables. This was done by drilling a hole in the back of the positive side and simply running thin plastic tubing into it. For the other side I had to modify the terminal by tapping into it and adding a thinner plastic tubing. This way I could snug a PE cable piece securely. I also repainted the battery and I'm very happy with how it turned out. The engine bay is 99% complete. I'm just going to add some vaccum lines to top it off.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:53 AM   #3
Some_Kid
AF Enthusiast

Re: Tamiya Toyota Supra

So here are some photos underneath the car. Sprayed in ts-51 and lightly clear coated. The black hand brushed with Vallejo flat black. The exhaust was painted with alclad chrome, base coated with testors enamel gloss black thinned with lacquer thinner. Heat staining was done with Tamiya acrylic clears, yellow, blue, orange. As well as Tamiya acrylic bronze and metallic blue and heat staining powders.

If you look carefully I applied cigarette foil as heat shielding for the transmission

Old 06-20-2017, 05:20 AM   #4
circuitR
AF Enthusiast

Great details! Looking forward to the completed model.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street