Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 03:03 PM   #1
MaxSE
AF Regular

what to charge for a built model

i got a question for all you car freaks!

how much would you charge a person if they wanted a replica of their 1:1? in 1/24 or 1/25 scale

keeping in mind that there will be minor to no putty work involved here, basic build from the box with a few mods here and there. eg. drop, some rims, exhaust etc etc...

keep in mind that you have to buy the kit + all the paint/glue, etc to complete the job.

curbside price= $$$
with engine detail price= $$$

thanks for the imput!

PS: if you're a modeler that doesnt' build for money, or doesnt' beleive in parting with your art then please dont' respond to this thread.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:19 PM   #2
T\/\/iN-Tu|2Bo
AF Regular

Hmmm thats a difficult question(for me anyway). I've built two models for other people. My dad and a friend. I didn't charge anything it was more like a gift. If you're gonna charge money I would say it's your call. Look at pre-built 1/24-25 scale models and make a decision from there. Thats the best advice i can give you.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:29 PM   #3
tardster
AF Enthusiast

It really depends on what your wanting to spend, you could go with straight out of the box, (ofb) with some mods, or go all out with all of the goodies. Also I dont know if anyone will go out and buy the kit plus all the goodies out of there own pocket, you may have to get the stuff yourself and then find someone that will build it and ship it to them. One more thing. If its fo your freind why not just help him build it, this way maybe he to will become a builder. Hope that came out right without sounding rude...

Last edited by tardster; 02-24-2005 at 08:14 PM.
tardster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:46 PM   #4
jswillmon
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jswillmon
Re: what to charge for a built model

There was a member here a while ago that started his own website doing just this.... was it chrismcgee???

edit: it was..here's his link http://www.elitescalecars.co.uk/
probally won't help if your not in the UK

**Click the pic for my latest build, Daytona Blue 350z**
jswillmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:53 PM   #5
DSM-Mark
AF Enthusiast

There's a few factors here. First of all, if you break this down on a per hour basis, there is no way you are ever going to be able to charge even minimum wage. To do this as a business venture is just ridiculous. You have to consider this as something you are going to do because you enjoy doing it.

For a friend, I would probably do it at cost, maybe ask for an additional $20. But seriously, what's $20 nowadays? Or you could ask him to buy you another kit instead. If you do it more or less for free, I think you will enjoy doing it, and your buddy shouldn't be hounding you to get it done.

For anybody else, I would probably say cost of parts plus about $50. That would be enough to motivate you to keep going, but not so much as to make it ridiculous for the purchaser. That should put you in the $100 to $150 or so price range, I would think.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:55 PM   #6
Spitfire7
AF Enthusiast

There is another site similar to the one posted above - http://www.wardsmodelbuilder.com/

Have a look at some of the examples there and see if it says how much they would cost. Also check out the Sauber Merc C9 completely covered in carbon fibre in the gallery, amazing.
Spitfire7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:01 PM   #7
Dadio406
AF Newbie

This is a difficult question, I build aircraft for a fellow aviation enthusiast and charge between £100 stirling (180 dollars US) and £150 per completed kit in 1/72 scale the price increases for larger or more complex kits, the first being a virtually scratch built kit that netted me about £300. The guy that I build for understands the amount of work involved and the fact that the finished product is unique unlike a £25.00 die cast (many of which are nonetheless excellent). At those rates I gain on the simple kits and lose on the more complex ones.

Even a straight assemble and paint job on for example the new Tamiya Impreza WRC (A flawless product) is going to take quite a few hours. What is your hour worth to you?

If you do build for someone else chances are you will someday be asked to build a kit (subject) that you have no enthusiasm for and then it becomes hard to stay focused and do your best work. I am lucky in that respect, my clients tastes (in aircraft at any rate) are similar to my own.

I hope that this is of some help to you

How do you make a million in the modelling business? Start of with 2 million and know when to quit!
Dadio406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:05 PM   #8
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric

It depend of a lot of thing. but a simple OOB kit whoulc go from 80$ to 200$
Vric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:01 PM   #9
SupaMan89T
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SupaMan89T Send a message via MSN to SupaMan89T Send a message via Yahoo to SupaMan89T

yea im about to have this problem also with my rx7 r1 kit im selling it for a fund raiser and i was thinking its a OOP kit so being genitle i said 40 then 5 bucks for the rims because i already had them picked for the car before i was gonna sell it and eh about 5 bucks for the custom work because i made it out of stuff i had so 50 i dont care about laber but thats just me i say charge him kit price and and custom work then laber.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:27 PM   #10
Porsche Carrera
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Porsche Carrera
well, my friend recently sold his OOB tamiya 360 spider for $500CDN at prestige autoart. that really depends on how much and how long you spend on the build.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:13 PM   #11
spidereddie
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to spidereddie Send a message via Yahoo to spidereddie
Re: Re: what to charge for a built model

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaMan89T
yea im about to have this problem also with my rx7 r1 kit im selling it for a fund raiser and i was thinking its a OOP kit so being genitle i said 40 then 5 bucks for the rims because i already had them picked for the car before i was gonna sell it and eh about 5 bucks for the custom work because i made it out of stuff i had so 50 i dont care about laber but thats just me i say charge him kit price and and custom work then laber.

So I guess the , button is broken along with the .

geesh my head hurts now
Old 02-24-2005, 06:42 PM   #12
Technoman
AF Enthusiast

About $5.00 if I built it. More than most can afford if Hiro built it..
  3. Zexel Skyline R32 GT-R Gr.N
  4. Sierra Cosworth RS500 ANZ
Technoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 07:10 PM   #13
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

It this a hypothetical question or do you have a job lined up?

P.S. spidereddie, there is a fullstop at the end of the post so maybe the one on the number pad still works?
RallyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 07:48 PM   #14
primera man
"P-Man"

Send a message via AIM to primera man

I hope you are not getting PM's from a member here that wants a kit built (Enzo)...if you are, DONTeven bother because you are probably wasting your time as this person has pissed me around.
I've had a few PM's here that want a kit built or either buy one of yours already made....ALL GOES WELL UNTILL YOU WANT SOME MONEY FROM THEM!!
Just be very careful IMO

Current Build.....1/12 Scale Camaro......Almost finished!!!

View All My Models Here.
primera man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:27 PM   #15
freakray
AF Modelrater

Re: Re: what to charge for a built model

Quote:
Originally Posted by primera man
I hope you are not getting PM's from a member here that wants a kit built (Enzo)...if you are, DONTeven bother because you are probably wasting your time as this person has pissed me around.
I've had a few PM's here that want a kit built or either buy one of yours already made....ALL GOES WELL UNTILL YOU WANT SOME MONEY FROM THEM!!
Just be very careful IMO
Same, I get a fair number of PM's asking me to build stuff, but nobody wants to pay a reasonable price for what they're asking.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling