Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 12:30 PM   #46
97explorer5.0
AF Newbie

Re: HELP! Explorer rough idle, can't figure it out!

i don't believe it is the DPFE because i have no stalling at all; just rough idle; kick it down and power is there.... and i cleaned the MAF Sensor but no different; i un-plugged the MAF Sensor while idling and there was no change in idle at all; i think there should have been if that Sensor worked correct? i un plugged the IAC Valve while idling and it stalled so i know it's working..........
97explorer5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:07 PM   #47
shorod
SHO No Mo

Your best bet would be to find a scan tool with a datastream mode, check the diagnostic code and monitor the related parameters to see if some sensor is not providing appropriate information to the PCM, then diagnose from there.

Not noticing a change when unplugging the MAF doesn't necessarily mean that sensor is not working. It might just mean you have a big enough vacuum leak that taking that sensor open circuit doesn't effect the way the engine idles.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:32 PM   #48
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Usually if the MAF is bad the vehicle will run better with it unplugged.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #49
97explorer5.0
AF Newbie

ok the code # that came up on my 97 explorer 5.0 is PO 401 and a 307? any help?
Old 12-21-2015, 07:07 PM   #50
shorod
SHO No Mo

From the factory service manual:

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0401 indicates that self-test has detected insufficient EGR flow.
Possible causes:
  • Disconnected or damaged vacuum hoses.
  • Damaged EGR valve.
  • Damaged EGR Valve Position sensor.
  • Damaged EGR Vacuum Regulator solenoid.
P0401 is a pretty common code. I'd suggest you search this forum for P0401 (note those are both 'zeros') to see what typical issues others have found.

P0307 is a misfire code for cylinder #7. There's a good chance that this is the code causing the engine to run roughly. I'd suggest you try swapping the spark plug with one cylinder and the plug wire with another to see if the misfire follows the plug, the wire, or remains on cylinder #7. Depending on what you find there should help lead you down the path to getting the misfire solved.

-Rod
Old 12-22-2015, 07:31 AM   #51
97explorer5.0
AF Newbie

wires and plugs are all new; took plugs out and made sure they were properly gapped and had no cracks............ thinking it mat be the coil packs.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:04 PM   #52
shorod
SHO No Mo

Are you absolutely certain that the plug wires are fully seated? Did you install the least expensive plug wires available? I've no kidding seen cheap plug wires that were never even stripped before the terminals were installed. It really won't be too difficult to swap a couple of spark plugs and wires around to help you determine if the plug or wire is the issue. Since one coil pack feeds two cylinders it would be unusual for a bad coil to cause a misfire on only one cylinder.

-Rod
Old 12-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #53
97explorer5.0
AF Newbie

wires were checked numerous times and they are all seated; wires are regular Ford Motorcraft wires; Coil packs are the original from 97; have no choice their already ordered........
Old 12-24-2015, 04:49 PM   #54
97explorer5.0
AF Newbie

How can 1 coil pack feed 2 cylinders? i have a 5.0 V-8 each coil pack has 4 plug ins i have 2 coil packs; each plug in represents 1 cylinder.......
Old 12-25-2015, 08:16 AM   #55
shorod
SHO No Mo

Each "plug" on the coil pack represents 1 cylinder, but there is 1 coil for every 2 cylinders. It's a waste spark system. You might check out this link if you're interested in understanding how the system works.

-Rod
Old 12-25-2015, 02:42 PM   #56
97explorer5.0
AF Newbie

finally found out it was only 1 Bad plug; even tho they were new plugs; put an old plug in that i had and nooo rough idle............
Old 12-25-2015, 11:06 PM   #57
shorod
SHO No Mo

Glad to hear you found the issue. Thank you for following up on your post!

-Rod
Old 01-20-2016, 06:46 PM   #58
jetboy101_99
AF Newbie

I have 2001 ford explorer sport trac. I had the rough idle problem. I replaced IAC,tps, o2 sensors, intake gaskets, and the hose in the back. So I had replaced the maf sensor. I bought an aftermarket one. The truck still ran like shit. I was baffled that wtf could it be. So I took unplugged the maf sensor and it didn't die. As soon as I plugged it back in it would automatically die. The maf sensor was reading to much air and not enough fuel. The MAF HAS TO Be OEM. That was the dreaming problem.
jetboy101_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #59
Fyrfytr33
AF Newbie

I know this is an old thread but I can't help but comment on this.

There seem to be two types of mechanics I am seeing here.

1 - Parts changer - Take everything said on any forum as the gospel and start changing parts, hoping that one will fix the issue. This is wasteful the and expensive route. Sure you may get lucky, but most likely you will spend needless time and money. I.E. (It's your valves = engine tear down).

2 - Diagnostitian - This person listens to the forum members that make sense and explain what and why they think the issue is. Now they can be incorrect as they don't have the car in front of them, but this is a good place to begin your own diagnosis.

Did you get that, begin your own diagnosis. Spend some time studying the theory of modern vehicles and apply your knowledge. Just because one person had a problem and they fixed it with a part has nothing to do with your vehicle. Use a systematic approach and rule out the systems and parts that others just change based on a generic code. Lend more credence to those that obviously have experience (I.E. Ford techs) than you do to the 16 year old repeating what his sisters boyfriend told him.

Enough of a rant. It's your car, your time and your money so you choose how to spend it. Me I have been able to fix every problem that I have had on every vehicle I have owned. During that process I have learned a great many things and solved a great many issues at minimal cost.

In the end I just hope a few people heed my advice and avoid being a parts changer. Save your money and expand your mind, it's very satisfying to problem solve and correct any issue and save thousands.

TTFN
Fyrfytr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:13 PM   #60
07sporttrac
AF Newbie

bank 1 and two codes on domestic vehicles usually calls for cleaning/replacement of MAF... Try using Mass air flow cleaner first.... Unplug the maf and see if the car runs better. Same with the IAC, If you unplug it and the car runs better that part needs to be replaced. The car should stall if unplugged.
07sporttrac is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac