Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 05:14 PM   #1
~DaNgErOuS~
AF Newbie

Still need help

Need someone to help me out with my questions!!
~DaNgErOuS~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 09:32 AM   #2
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
Since the question was in another thread. I'll repeat it for you.

Quote:
Originally posted by ~DaNgErOuS~
Well. . . I purchased it last August. There was nothing wrong with the car. .. I checked it and everything. . even pin number. Then after about a month my engine blew. The mechanics said it was the belt. That everything in the engine ran off one belt.
Is this true in this model of the car?
So I got a new engine. .. pretty expensive. It blew for a second time.
This time they said there was a problem witht the transmission or something. So they fixed that, but when test driving it, the engine died again!!
So. . . I need to know what the deal is??
Heep gave you an answer.

Quote:
Originally posted by Heep
Your engine does indeed run off of one belt, the timing belt. This belt connects the crankshaft (driven by the pistons) and the camshaft (which operates the valves). When this breaks, the valves cannot open, and the engine will not run. Also, with some cars, when it breaks, the piston will strike the valve, and then you either need a new engine or a rebuild. Timing belts commonly break between 100,000 and 150,000 miles, no matter how well the car is maintained.

About the second time the engine is not working, I'm afraid I can't help without seeing the car myself.
He's mostly right. The timing belt needs to be replaced every 60K miles. Also, without taking a look at the car I cant help much more. However, please post your question on the technical forums at www.3si.org and their might be someone who can offer more insight.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 02-04-2002, 12:44 AM   #3
UncleMeat777
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to UncleMeat777 Send a message via AIM to UncleMeat777 Send a message via Yahoo to UncleMeat777
I'd check and make sure they alligned the timing belt properly.

The timing belt must be put on according to the allignment of the camshafts and if it is off by even one little tooth, it can bend your valves and pretty much ruin your engine.

I've honestly never known someone to blow an engine due to transmission failure, I'm not saying it isn't possible, but it doesn't seem likely.

When you say "but when test driving it, the engine died again!! " do you mean the car just stalled/died and wouldn't start? Or do you mean the engine is completely dead and needs replacing?

Click here for my site and 1:24 car pics!
UncleMeat777 is offline   Reply With Quote