Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Warehoused Archives > Girl Racers' Spot
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Girl Racers' Spot For the Female Racer....
  Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 02:40 PM   #1
hotice318ti
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to hotice318ti Send a message via Yahoo to hotice318ti
Arrow can anyone teach me how to double clutch?

anyone?

i used to drive automatic... this is my fist stick shift and i wanna know how to double clutch.... i'd like to try it out by myself cuz i kinda wanna surprise my bf on the street... and yea, can it damage my clutch when i double clutch?
Old 07-09-2003, 02:51 PM   #2
Ringo
Banned

Yeah, you can burn it. So heres how it goes, you're coming into your braking zone, you hit the brakes, at the same time you're starting to push the cluth and simultaneously pushing the gas with the heel of your right foot, that's right you're pushin all the pedals at the same time, what you're trying to do is match the revs to the drive shaft so you don't spin the car around, but also helps it in braking. If you do that wrong, your bf will friggin kill you!
Old 07-09-2003, 04:42 PM   #3
iNgLi$
AF Newbie

Old 07-10-2003, 12:03 AM   #4
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Quote:
Originally posted by Ringo
Yeah, you can burn it. So heres how it goes, you're coming into your braking zone, you hit the brakes, at the same time you're starting to push the cluth and simultaneously pushing the gas with the heel of your right foot, that's right you're pushin all the pedals at the same time, what you're trying to do is match the revs to the drive shaft so you don't spin the car around, but also helps it in braking. If you do that wrong, your bf will friggin kill you!

that is called left foot braking and has nothing to do with double clutching....just ignore this guy....he was recently banned anyway......

double clutching means push the clutch put it in neutral release the clutch then push it again and shift....it was used in old 18 wheelers that had crappy syncros.....

this technique is never used in racing...you'll lose time doing it and gain nothing.....it was just a stupid phrase used in fast and the furious to sound cool.....if your bf knows anything about cars and you mention to him that you want to double clutch he'll laugh at you.....and so will anyone else that knows car....so avoid using that expresion unless you make fun of F&F.... BTW do not take seriously 99% of that movie.....

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Old 07-10-2003, 12:33 AM   #5
hotice318ti
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to hotice318ti Send a message via Yahoo to hotice318ti
the fast n the furious and the 2fast2furious.... i thought they were so funny... especially 2fast2furious..... and yea they're ridiculous as well... i went to watch that cuz i thought the skyline was gonna be there for the whole movie.... oh well..

thanks for the info.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:48 PM   #6
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva
Neutrino beat me to it. Unless you're making fun of some loser for thinking that double-clutching is used in cars with synchros, don't even think about the technique. BTW: if you're at all interested in what that other *ahem*individual was talking about, THAT is called heel-toeing (at least I assume so... I gave up reading the misinformed post).

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
Old 07-11-2003, 12:06 AM   #7
B16EJ1
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Neutrino

double clutching means push the clutch put it in neutral release the clutch then push it again and shift....it was used in old 18 wheelers that had crappy syncros.....

this technique is never used in racing...you'll lose time doing it and gain nothing.....it was just a stupid phrase used in fast and the furious to sound cool.....if your bf knows anything about cars and you mention to him that you want to double clutch he'll laugh at you.....and so will anyone else that knows car....so avoid using that expresion unless you make fun of F&F.... BTW do not take seriously 99% of that movie.....
Actually there is a double clutch technique that is used in racing. The double clutching that the stupid ass flick was reffering to was when you pop your clutch in when stomping it in low rpm's. This will bump you into your powerband. You then ride your power band then pop your clutch in (or powershift ) to shift to next gear then while in low rpm's pop the clutch in again ( while still mashing the throttle ) and it will again bump you into your powerband quicker than normal driving. This will shave a few tenths if a second off the quarter and break teeth off your gears at the same time.

Here's another arguement I had on the same subject. Maybe I explained it better there............

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...power+shifting
Old 07-11-2003, 07:59 AM   #8
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Quote:
Originally posted by B16EJ1

Actually there is a double clutch technique that is used in racing. The double clutching that the stupid ass flick was reffering to was when you pop your clutch in when stomping it in low rpm's. This will bump you into your powerband. You then ride your power band then pop your clutch in (or powershift ) to shift to next gear then while in low rpm's pop the clutch in again ( while still mashing the throttle ) and it will again bump you into your powerband quicker than normal driving. This will shave a few tenths if a second off the quarter and break teeth off your gears at the same time.

Here's another arguement I had on the same subject. Maybe I explained it better there............

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...power+shifting

i think the problem we have here is of definitions.....the technique that he was mentioning.....to apply the brake with your toes adnd press the throttle with your heel while your left foot works the clutch....this is called heel and toe not double clutching....

btw i mistakenly refered to it in my previous post as left foot braking....it was a mistake its called heel and toe and its used both to keep the car in the powerband and to keep the weight on the front weels to eliminate understeer

(\__/)
Old 07-11-2003, 08:57 PM   #9
knorsk
AF Enthusiast

who needs a clutch, just slam it into the next gear.

You can find me at ImportRuiner.com
Old 07-11-2003, 11:22 PM   #10
Gradyman25
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Gradyman25
Old 07-12-2003, 11:09 AM   #11
94SolGrl
Honda GODDESS/Global Mod

Send a message via AIM to 94SolGrl Send a message via MSN to 94SolGrl
There's also feathering the clutch, which is what I do whenever I drive, and is probably the reason I have a clutch sitting on my passenger seat right now. Feathering is basically where you press the pedal in just enough to disengage the tranny. Gas stays on the floor. Makes for a slightly quicker shift, but like a few people have said, the wear and tear on your clutch gets up there. I would get a racing clutch if you're gonna be seriously racing your car. Can't beat a 2,700 lb pressure plate. Just try and destroy that mug. Yeah they're $500, but it beats replacing your clutch every 10 minutes.

HOW TO POST PICS!
Old 07-12-2003, 02:53 PM   #12
XxLuckyLisaxX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to XxLuckyLisaxX
u want to impress him, learn to rev match when coming to a stop push clutch in rev it in neutral up to the proper rpms and down shift to the next lower gear, if you dont match the rpms it will sort of jolt but if you do its really smooth, ive been told this isnt bad for your engine or tranny since you reving in neutral and matching the revs, if you didnt match them then it would take a small beating on your tranny over time, you can do this from 5th all the way to 1st and of course dont be a dumb ass and try to down shift to 2nd going like 60 where your revs would be too high and could cause damage

Say NO to Primer!!
Old 07-13-2003, 12:48 PM   #13
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Quote:
Originally posted by 94SolGrl
There's also feathering the clutch, which is what I do whenever I drive, and is probably the reason I have a clutch sitting on my passenger seat right now. Feathering is basically where you press the pedal in just enough to disengage the tranny. Gas stays on the floor. Makes for a slightly quicker shift, but like a few people have said, the wear and tear on your clutch gets up there. I would get a racing clutch if you're gonna be seriously racing your car. Can't beat a 2,700 lb pressure plate. Just try and destroy that mug. Yeah they're $500, but it beats replacing your clutch every 10 minutes.

you forget the fact that you'll get arnold style calfs after a month with a racing clutch

(\__/)
Old 07-14-2003, 09:18 AM   #14
94SolGrl
Honda GODDESS/Global Mod

Send a message via AIM to 94SolGrl Send a message via MSN to 94SolGrl
WERD! I drove a mustang with an ACT heavy duty clutch... good lord.. it almost took both feet to press the clutch pedal in!

So you see, it's a win/win.. you get killer legs, your car and it's clutch stay happy!

HOW TO POST PICS!
Old 07-14-2003, 02:16 PM   #15
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Quote:
Originally posted by 94SolGrl
WERD! I drove a mustang with an ACT heavy duty clutch... good lord.. it almost took both feet to press the clutch pedal in!

So you see, it's a win/win.. you get killer legs, your car and it's clutch stay happy!
no no no.....you get one killer leg and one skinny leg....

(\__/)

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Warehoused Archives > Girl Racers' Spot