Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 05:31 AM   #16
The Sheene Machine
AF Enthusiast

Re: Kato's 2001 250cc Honda NSR250...

The detail I refer to that Hasegawa have included are items like fully realised airboxes including the parts you can't see with the tank on....inserts for the frame after which you could display the model with tank off, fork anti-dive indicators (2009 250 Honda) and ,(I'm not sure what the part is called!!) - the bit at the top of the forks made from carbon that helps deflect air onto the rad....stuff like that Tamiya overlook...hopefully I can impress you enough to take the plunge!! The main thing is enjoy what you build - if screws and certain details aren't an issue for you and the folks that view your models, then...happy days!

I'm not sure I'm fond of resin....it's become a necessary evil as there's been some Rossi bikes unavailable in plastic... There are frustrating, expensive and lack finess and detail!!

Was the lack of kits down to the bike manufacturers?? The rules were stable inbetween '86 and '98 with 2 stroke 500's...oddly of course Tamiya did do the '92 888 WSB Ducati and as you say the 250 Honda's!!

You raced bikes?? Respect for that. Rainey is a god...brilliant rider as were most of the US rders from that era.

I'm not sure if you are aware of the website I have some bike articles on....I belong to Romsey Modellers here in the UK....worth a look if you haven't seen them.
http://www.romseymodellers.co.uk/bui...vehicles/bikes
The Sheene Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #17
John18d
AF Enthusiast

I'm not sure if you are aware of the website I have some bike articles on....I belong to Romsey Modellers here in the UK....worth a look if you haven't seen them.
http://www.romseymodellers.co.uk/bui...vehicles/bikes

Paul - thank for posting your modeling link for others - I have it and I have seen your builds along with others there - very good site. Thats where I came across your Assen Assasin 2007 - that is an awesome model you did and a very complicated paint job and decaling that you did - I used all your recommendations and I acquired all the bits to one day try to make one like yours - first I have to improve my skills though.

Ref - the airbox detail - yeah after the last couple of postings between us, I pulled out the Hasegawa kits to get a second look and this time I looked at the directions sheet - I can agree there is some detail that Tamiya forgoes under the tank, but Tamiya are making attempts - look at the Yamaha M-1 kits they all have air intake ducting - most of the time bikes are displayed whole unless it's a diorama then they show the body work off etc.

After my second look - I agree the Hasegawa kits aren't as bad as I initially stated, but I still think Tamiya is the pinnacle of plastic 1/12 bike kits

Ref - rules and bike kit shortages - although rules were stable - no one wanted anyone not from their garage looking at the GP bikes because of competition, it didn't explain why there were no superbikes - especially when Tamiya did a street RC30 - FZR750 - 916 - where were the race versions??? -

John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:10 AM   #18
andrew59it
AF Regular

Hello good job till now...
Do you think cobal blue is right for the Suzuki 500 Telefonica too? Is it metallic or plain?

Thanks
andrew59it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #19
The Sheene Machine
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew59it View Post
Hello good job till now...
Do you think cobal blue is right for the Suzuki 500 Telefonica too? Is it metallic or plain?

Thanks
Yes I do Andrew. If you look at the box art for the '01 kit, the red section on the lower cowl is in fact flourescent red, so bearing this in mind, it tells you if this is the case, the other colour tones on the photo do not represent the actual bike...therefore the blue is lighter and given that both the Suzuki and Honda carried the same sponsor for 2001, I'm going with the cobalt blue too for mine. The blue is solid. I have photo's somewhere I took of the bike at a show here in the UK many yeras ago.

Here's Skylinefan's version in a similar blue, see what you think;
http://public.fotki.com/Daveyracer/g...01_telefonica/
Old 09-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #20
andrew59it
AF Regular

Thank you
it seems solid but I have some reference where it seems metallic.... very hard to define.... Anyway better than the color suggested by tamiya...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4190.jpg (236.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 09-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #21
The Sheene Machine
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew59it View Post
Thank you
it seems solid but I have some reference where it seems metallic.... very hard to define.... Anyway better than the color suggested by tamiya...
There does seem to be some flake in there, but in this scale it would be virtually invisble anyhow. The version I saw was definately solid.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #22
The Sheene Machine
AF Enthusiast

Another update....

Frame is painted and CF decalled...painted frame first in satin black, added CF to seat area, masked off and cleared the CF, then polished out to 6000 grit to not leave the ultimate shine, giving a slightly waxy look...CF then masked off, and frame coated with rattle can satin black, then airbrushed with polished aluminium, then cleared with Alclad gloss cote. Same with the swingarm.
The wash was Tamiya acrylic smoke.

The engine....airbrushed with Humbrol Metalcote steel, then dry brushed with a dry brush (no paint) which polished the highlights and offers a very natural look...paint looks a little dark in the pics....it looks better in the flesh.

The exhausts....painted rattle can satin black, the pipes were then masked off and the silencers clearcoated, while that was still tacky I airbrushed on two coats of Alclad. A wash with Tamiya smoke and shading with Tamiya clear orange. Retaining springs modified from MFH. Once decalled the silencer CF was airbrushed with two coats of Tamiya smoke to tone them down, as the decals are way too light for accuracy.

Progress continues...
Old 09-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #23
andrew59it
AF Regular

The engine looks very realistic.... Beautiful job on exhaust too.... really nice!
Old 09-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #24
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Hey Paul - for your "smoke" wash that you use - How much do you reduce it?? I never seem to get that right. Also is it acrylic or enamel - the wash.

Ref the paint color - I have both the Zero Suzuki and Honda "telefonica" paint and they are slightly different - both come with a silver undercoat that appears the same but the blue for the Suzuki is a little more "cobalt blue" than the Honda. Also both the blues contain some silver so that it will have a "flake" appearance when sprayed. I my opinion they are so close to each other no one would be able to pick it out. The Suzuki is definitely a more "cobalt" blue than the Honda. Hope that helps some - John

Nice work on the engine Paul - looks very "real"

John
Old 09-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #25
The Sheene Machine
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John18d View Post
Hey Paul - for your "smoke" wash that you use - How much do you reduce it?? I never seem to get that right. Also is it acrylic or enamel - the wash.

Nice work on the engine Paul - looks very "real"

John
It's acrylic John, reduced about 50% with Tamiya thinners - I just test it until it runs okay, but I figure 50% at least should produce a paint that runs in the crevices etc..it seems to work well over Alclad finishes.

Thanks, the engine looks much better in the flesh..promise!! The metalcote looks grainy under the lens for some reason....it's in the frame now...
Old 09-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #26
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Paul - did you dry-brush the engine while still wet? or did you let it dry and then wear away some of the finish? I have some hubrol paints too - my local hobby shop gets them special order. Are they oil based or acrylic too? I need to know what to thin them with so I can airbrush them - Thanks Paul

If that engine looks even better in the flesh than the pictures it must be awesome. Even in the pictures it looks great. Was that the original shifter rod or was that a piece from Top Studio?

Pipes are very convincing too

I really am a fan of your work Paul - I saw your Aprilia 250s a while back - stunning work

John
Old 10-01-2012, 06:42 AM   #27
The Sheene Machine
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John18d View Post
Paul - did you dry-brush the engine while still wet? or did you let it dry and then wear away some of the finish? I have some hubrol paints too - my local hobby shop gets them special order. Are they oil based or acrylic too? I need to know what to thin them with so I can airbrush them - Thanks Paul

If that engine looks even better in the flesh than the pictures it must be awesome. Even in the pictures it looks great. Was that the original shifter rod or was that a piece from Top Studio?

Pipes are very convincing too

I really am a fan of your work Paul - I saw your Aprilia 250s a while back - stunning work

John
Thanks John,

The Humbrol's enamel metalcotes are designed to be buffed after drying, so I began a few years ago experimenting with thier steel and gunmetal colours and just using a drybrushing technique for highlights...I've done the same technique on brake disc mounts - I think it gives a nice finish, though it can and does mark without careful handling.
Metalcotes do not need thinning when they are new, they a much thinner than regular enamels, though after a while they do thicken up. I just use enamel thinners and thin to the consistency of milk. They airbrush on very well and very flat, so the drybrushing technique works well. Varying the amount of times you pass the brush over each area of course affects the final look. You can brush paint them on too, but this doesn't offer the same level of finish.

What you see on the engine is all from the kit.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Sheene Machine For This Useful Post:
John18d (10-01-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #28
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Thanks Paul - I will give your technique a try on my next engine - John
Old 10-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #29
SkylineFan
AF Enthusiast

Fantastic Work Paul and you nailed the blue in my opinion! I remember when I did the 2001 bike I shot the cowlings in Krylon True blue over grey primer, then a coat or two of Tamiya clear blue to give it a pop followed by clear... Tamiya Telefonica blue was WAY TOO DARK.... you nailed it!! I did the Scott livery of this kit and loved it for Scale Auto.. Keep going buddy!
SkylineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SkylineFan For This Useful Post:
The Sheene Machine (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #30
The Sheene Machine
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFan View Post
Fantastic Work Paul...... Keep going buddy!
Thanks Dave - yep the colour worked out well, but kudos to you for taking the step to get the '01 bike right in the first place.
I was looking at your '09 bike yesterday in fact - turned out very nice, but then all your stuff does. I visit your Fotki most weeks to keep an eye on what your up to - as always it's an inspiration. It's hightime you finished that #24 fireworks car though....

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes