Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 06:14 AM   #1
nathyrin
AF Newbie

Cool Fixer-upper 95 SL thoughts anyone?

Someone I know is selling a 95 saturn 5-speed with a bad head gasket/head (Not sure which) For pretty cheap. I was thinking about buying it and fixing it for a backup, but have never replaced a head, head-gasket before. Can anyone give me any ideas on how hard it might be and what else it might need? My local friend said it might behoove me to replace the waterpump and timing belt also. Not sure if the timing is belt or a chain like my 2000 Saturn was. Its also been sitting for almost two years.

Thanks.
nathyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
Ruley73
AF Enthusiast

Re: Fixer-upper 95 SL thoughts anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathyrin View Post
Someone I know is selling a 95 saturn 5-speed with a bad head gasket/head (Not sure which) For pretty cheap. I was thinking about buying it and fixing it for a backup, but have never replaced a head, head-gasket before. Can anyone give me any ideas on how hard it might be and what else it might need? My local friend said it might behoove me to replace the waterpump and timing belt also. Not sure if the timing is belt or a chain like my 2000 Saturn was. Its also been sitting for almost two years.

Thanks.
How sure is your friend that the head gasket is bad? Just to clarify, does the car have the SOHC or DOHC (16 valve) engine. Either way, the engine will have a timing chain.

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!"
- Steve Smith (Red)
Ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

Re: Fixer-upper 95 SL thoughts anyone?

Regardless whether it is an SL1 (with manual windows cranks and the SOHC engine), or an SL2, (with elecric windows and the DOHC engine) they arent too hard to rebuild in my opinion. That is to say, they could be a first-engine-rebuild for most any mechanically inclined person having a place to work, and a hoist to lift the engine out. The most time consuming part to me, is disconnecting all of the stuff that you have to reach from the back side of the motor - lying on your back looking up.
In my limited experience, you will likely be able to re-use the block as it is - BUT, if its been using motor oil, its likely because the oil control rings on the pistons are sticky from crud, and dont come out of their groove. This is a common factor with "S" series Saturns, and the only sure cure - is pulling the pistons and putting new rings on. However, its also not too hard to remember to check the oil often enough, and just add more as needed. Its not an oil situation that is going to suddenly get worse. It will take years to get worse.
The timing chains seems pretty reliable. I just rebuilt an SL1 engine with 200k miles on it, and the timing chain wasnt worn enough to bother changing it, but I did replace the timing chain guides. You have to take the timing chain cover off in order to replace the head, and it will take some urging. Be absolutely certain you have removed ALL of the bolts holding the timing chain cover on. There is a bolt or two located in the middle of the flat side of the timing chain cover, that cant be seen with the engine in the car.
Replacing the water pump isnt very hard to do with the engine in the car and fully assembled; but its one less thing to worry about going bad in the next 15 years.

If its a 5-speed, I think you have to take the engine and transmission out together, if you are going to rebuild the lower engine as well as replace the head. If you do that, take care not to mess up the shifter cables, and get them disconnected from the transmission for sure.
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote