Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevrolet Classics
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
rollie715
AF Newbie

327 275hp rebuild

I've been tinkering around with car projects for many years, but am planning my first complete engine rebuild and am looking for some advice to see if I'm on the right track. This engine will be going into my 67 Camaro.

I just picked up a complete 327 275hp engine that came out of a 67 Caprice. It is mostly stock, but the previous owner upgraded the pistons with something like a 11.2 compression. It has the 462 camel hump heads. I'm thinking to make it more streetable and run regular pump gas, I need to change out the pistons to something with a smaller compression ratio.
When it is done, I would like to have a good balance between impressive street performance and good gas mileage. (Yes I know those are competing factors)

Here's my plan so far: Let me know what you think.

Strip down the motor, take it to the machine shop and have the block and crank checked and possibly rebored or ground as needed. I'm guessing the bore will end up being about .030 oversize. Also have the shop rebuild the heads using stock parts.

Speed Pro H660CP30 Hypereutectic Pistons w/ Moly Rings Kit.
Flat top with valve reliefs
This should give me about a 9.15 compression ratio using my 64cc heads.
What do you think about Moly or Cast Iron Rings?
$200 on Ebay from KMJ Performance.

Using the Cam selector software from Comp Cam, I found a mild cam which they suggest makes good power, while providing good mileage.
It is the Comp Cam 12-205-2 Grind 252H High Energy model. I'm not sure what all the specs mean, but they are easily found by searching this model.
With my existing parts, their software says I should get about:
276 HP @ 4500rpm
376 ftlb @ 3000rpm
This is similar to the factory specs for hp and about 20 ftlb more of torque.

I've got a factory intake manifold model 3872783, which I think came from a mid 60's 300hp 327.

Carb is an Edelbrock 1406 600cfm, which is supposed to provide good performance as well as good mileage.

Exhaust will likely stay factory cast iron manifolds, but I'm open to other GM manifolds available or maybe even consider some small tube headers in the future.

I'm thinking of adding an HEI distributor, but would like any suggestions you have.

When I am done, it will all be painted up to look factory stock for my 67 Camaro, using mostly factory parts.

Feel free to offer me any advice that will help within my basic vision, but mostly to look over my shoulder and let me know if I'm on the right track or need to do some tweaking.
Thanks
rollie715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 327 275hp rebuild

Go with the Moly rings, better life and easier break in. Your compression with steel heads is right at the edge of 91 octane. A better designed lighter Edelbrock dual plane intake is a better choice here. Yes to the HEI, also.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
techinspector1
AF Newbie

You're flyin' blind until you actually figure your static compression ratio. You need to know that to match up a cam that will work. And in order to figure the SCR, you will need to pour the combustion chambers. You have no idea what the volume is, after this many years. Previous owners could have had them milled or angle milled or whatever, so that you have no idea what the volume is until you actually measure it with a burette and colored alcohol.

The other thing is, why do you want to pay 3 prices for pistons for this motor? It doesn't have to be a 331. With a crank and piston change, it could be a 355 and the parts would be dirt cheap compared to 331 parts. Good quality hyper pistons could be had for around a hundred bucks for the set of 8 and a reground cast 350 crank such as this one offered on ebay, complete with rod and main bearings....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Chevy-...sories&vxp=mtr
Here's a set of 8 rebuilt rods....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebuilt-OE-c...sories&vxp=mtr
Use these pistons, but specify moly rings....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPEED-PRO-Ch...sories&vxp=mtr
Put 327 decals on the valve covers and nobody will ever know it's a 350.

Your cylinder heads will be the cork in the system. Pony up for a set of RHS #12410 cast iron cylinder heads and you will wake the old girl up. Use an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold, vacuum secondaries carb, 14" x 4" air cleaner element and long-tube headers, 1 5/8" primaries. This setup will make 400 ft/lbs of torque and you'll love the bottom end power if you match up the cam with the static compression ratio. I've been doing this stuff for over 50 years and will be glad to advise you on all the parts you will need. I'll also figure the SCR for you so that you can match up the proper camshaft if you will supply me with combustion chamber volume, piston you'll use and block deck height.

As of right now, my best guess is that I'll never hear from you again and have wasted more than an hour answering your post.
techinspector1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
rollie715
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
....As of right now, my best guess is that I'll never hear from you again and have wasted more than an hour answering your post.
techinspector, not only will you hear from me again, but I value your input probably more then anyone I've seen posting on the internet, in fact, since I started this post a week or two ago, my focus has shifted from the 327 to a roller 350 which I've started on another thread where I saw some of your replies to other similar projects.

Yes, you may have wasted some time with the details on my 327, but I appreciate it all and will study thoroughly the comments you made.

As to your suggestions, looks like the pistons and rods would work in my new engine, but I would be looking for a 1 piece seal crank for the 350 I have. I was thinking to run cheap gas, I would need more like a 18cc dish piston, (per previous comment you have made). If you still frequent the clubhotrod site, I would like to move this dialog to that thread.

My new build is mostly based on your previous comments to other users on the clubhotrod site.

Here's my other post that I started and am looking forward to hearing your input. I tried to send you a message on that site, but your inbox was full.

http://www.clubhotrod.com/chevy-smal...hp-torque.html
Your experience and wisdom is highly prized by a newcomer such as me.
rollie715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
techinspector1
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollie715 View Post
techinspector, not only will you hear from me again, but I value your input probably more then anyone I've seen posting on the internet, in fact, since I started this post a week or two ago, my focus has shifted from the 327 to a roller 350 which I've started on another thread where I saw some of your replies to other similar projects.

Yes, you may have wasted some time with the details on my 327, but I appreciate it all and will study thoroughly the comments you made.

My new build is mostly based on your previous comments to other users on the clubhotrod site.

Here's my other post that I started and am looking forward to hearing your input. I tried to send you a message on that site, but your inbox was full.

http://www.clubhotrod.com/chevy-smal...hp-torque.html
Your experience and wisdom is highly prized by a newcomer such as me.
Well, wadda ya know, an intelligent being on the other end of the line. Thanks for being real and posting an answer. Left my cell phone number on Club Hot Rod private message. Call me if you want to. If I don't answer, leave a message so I know who it is and I'll call you back.
I have posted an answer on your thread at CHR also.

Last edited by techinspector1; 05-13-2012 at 02:07 PM.
techinspector1 is offline   Reply With Quote