Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 09:57 PM   #1
tenguzero
AF Enthusiast

Best tire for the winter time?

I have an accord EX, which means that my factory tires are a little more aggresive in design. Now, while they may have been excellent in winter their first year or so, they are getting long in the tooth, when taking into consideration my needs for a safe winter ride. My question is, what tires have you found to be good performers (I want to go all-season all around, since after reading suggestions about the handling characteristics of fwd vehicles, my original plan to just pick up two bang around winter rims and two snow tires to mount on the front drive wheels for winter may not be a good idea) and if I were to go through the business of getting FOUR rims, and getting FOUR snow tires, I might as well just go with a new set of all-season all around, and save having to just get new tires again soon anyways. So there it is: Your suggestions for good all-season tires, including snow.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:02 PM   #2
RightWingZionist
AF Regular

Re: Best tire for the winter time?

same q since winter's coming up
RightWingZionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:47 PM   #3
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque

the absolute best non-studded winter tires are generally considered to be Bridgestone Blizzak's, but they're very expensive and Nokian tires are a much better deal and also very good.
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:29 PM   #4
alfonso2501
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to alfonso2501
Re: Re: Best tire for the winter time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdisque
the absolute best non-studded winter tires are generally considered to be Bridgestone Blizzak's, but they're very expensive and Nokian tires are a much better deal and also very good.
couldn't agree with U more! The Nokians will out last the Blizzaks, but nothing beats the the Blizzaks.

*edit* so it's a toss up, with the nokians you'll probably get about 6-7 seasons (if only used during the winter) but the blizzaks are the best but will last you 2-3 seasons @ best. You're call.

Last edited by alfonso2501; 12-18-2005 at 01:17 AM.
alfonso2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:31 PM   #5
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

In a garage that I used to work at we also had a tire shop. We used to reccomend Dunlops ( can't remember the exact name of the winter tire they had, it was 15 years ago.) A lot of customers bought these as a less expensive alternative to the Blizzaks, and were very satisfied with them. I now have found a better tire for winter use from tirerack.com. They are called "Winterforce" I found them last year while looking for a pair for my Venture minivan (FWD). I live in the snowbelt in NY state and we average between 140 to 190" of snow a season, so you can see winter tires are important around here. At first I was skeptical because their price was low. But after reading customer's reviews on the tires, and most if not all were very positive, I bought a pair. Let me tell you, they had NO problem getting me through last winter. Their performance outranked my old Dunlops. I was so impressed with these tires, I bought a pair for another one of my vehicles, and just purchased another pair this year for my Roadmaster, which I just bought before the onset of winter. We just experienced a major ice and snow storm a couple of days ago and I took my wife to work before the roads were plowed, and I had no trouble navigating through the snow and ice that had accumulated on the highway. Check out these tires at tirerack and see how much they are for your vehicle, then check out some of the customer reviews to see for yourself.

**EDIT** I remember now it wasn't Dunlops we reccomended, it was Hercules Polar Traxx snow tires.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"

Last edited by '97ventureowner; 12-19-2005 at 01:08 PM.
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:17 PM   #6
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Just checking out some tires on some websites and came across this info on mavistire.com. The Winterforce tires I was raving about in my previous post are actually made by Bridgestone who also makes the Blizzaks. No wonder they perform well.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:30 PM   #7
Werm9
AF Regular

i just got my 4 continental extreme contact tires for my aftermarker rims. where i live we get around 250" of snowfall. the tires i got are great all season with wide enough tred pattern to paddle through the snow. i had them sipped and i recommend the same for you since its going to be driven in winter. it gave me a good 25% extra traction.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ExtremeContact

2001 Grand AM 2.4L 15,000 Miles
Werm9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:19 AM   #8
alfonso2501
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werm9
.... i had them sipped and i recommend the same for you since its going to be driven in winter. it gave me a good 25% extra traction.
Whoa! I gotta` ask now, have you had any chunking with your newly sipped tires? How long/how many miles have you had them snipped?
Old 12-22-2005, 07:12 PM   #9
Werm9
AF Regular

chunking? they were brand new when i had them siped.

2001 Grand AM 2.4L 15,000 Miles
Werm9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 04:43 PM   #10
alfonso2501
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werm9
chunking? they were brand new when i had them siped.
I was wondering if you’ve ever experienced chunking as a result of snipping the tires. I’ve read that’s a possibility after a while. Have you yet?

Last edited by alfonso2501; 12-26-2005 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:07 AM   #11
rhnocar
AF Newbie

How about the Hakkapeliitta 2's they are only semi studded and I know people how have Michelin ice-x tyres, bridgestone blizzaks and the Nokians, they say that the 2's preform better than anything that they have ever run. When im in thier cars I always feel safest in the 325i with the hakkapeliittas
rhnocar is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels