Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 10:31 PM   #1
Midnight_Fenrir
AF Newbie

Locking Lugnut removal

Alright, I noticed there is another topic on this already, but it doesn't quite help me so I'm starting a new one...

Alright, I've got a 1989 Oldsmobile Toronado with those demonic little locking lugnuts... I totally destroyed my tire back in march-ish, and went to take it off to put on the spare... and low and behold, I stripped the key trying to get it off X.X

And, ever since, I've been doing everything I can think of to get that stupid thing off. I've gone through 7 drill bits, 1 bolt out, 2 Easy-Outs, 5 chisels, Half a tube of liquid weld, as well as countless hours of hard work... I can't help but point out... these things are a fantastic anti-theft device.... apparently >.>

Well, the lugnut has a big hole in it, and has a chip or two missing out of it... but, is still almost completely intact (structurally)

I jacked the car up 2 ft in the air to see if I could figure out a way to remove the wheel from the inside, but it's a front-wheel drive vehicle, and it's the front passenger side wheel... it looks like /alot/ of work to take appart everything attatched to it...

So, can anyone give me a new idea? Because I'm just about out of them myself... It's getting to the point I'm considering selling it, just to get rid of the problem... And, there are still 3 other lugnuts X.X but, I really love that car, and need to get it usable before winter so I can put my El Camino away...

Thanks
Midnight_Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
Midnight_Fenrir
AF Newbie

Re: Locking Lugnut removal

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I got that damned thing off at last!! Now I'm just going to lie to myself, and not think about the fact that there are still 3 other wheels....
Old 08-06-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

Please tell us how you got it off, so others can benefit from your experience!
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
Midnight_Fenrir
AF Newbie

Well, I had drilled a big hole in the middle of the lugnut then, somewhat in a fit of rage, I took the larger EZ-Out I had, and put it in the hole and just wailed on it with my hammer... I was hoping to hammer it in far enough that it would crack the lugnut appart... but instead it got nice and stuck, so a pair of vice-grips and a big pipe for leverage, and it finally came off.

I can't say I really recomend this method.... as I went through quite a few drillbits, and other tools in the process, and probably negated any savings from having a mechanic cut it off or something... But with this experience, I think I've learned enough to get the other nuts off in a much more cost-effective way.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels