Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
charliebeans1
AF Newbie

Cracking Sidewalls -- conflicting opinions

I have the original Michelin XCX tires on my 2002 Buick Rendezvous which has almost 36,000 miles. There is some cracking on the sidewalls and, in one small area (approx. 1"x1") the rubber has been worn/torn off. The tread is wearing more on the outer part of the tire (apparently from underinflation) but the middle tread is fine. A local auto repair/service shop (that I trust and have used on several occasions) says they are dry rotting, must be replaced and that they, personally, wouldn't drive them on the highway. On the other hand, a large nationally known retail store that has an auto shop (that I also trust), says the tires are fine (actually, they say they didn't see anything unusual other than where the tires probably rubbed against curbs) and that we should overinflate the tires a little so that more of the center tread is used.
I have two small children and if there is the slightest chance I could have a blowout with these tires, I'm getting them replaced. Obviously, if there is really no reason to replace them, I won't.
Can anyone with experience on this tell me what they think? Thanks so much in advance for your opinions/expertise.
charliebeans1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: Cracking Sidewalls -- conflicting opinions

For safety's sake and the sake of your children I'd replace them. The tires are 5 years old and have probably used up a good portion of their lifespan(not sure what these tires were originally rated at for mileage.) Why risk it when you could have "peace of mind" knowing that replacing the tires will get rid of the "blowout, or other tire problem(s)" thoughts.
There have been thoughts recently on how long tires do last and under what circumstances they should be replaced. Below is a small section of article on this matter:
"While American driving conditions don't include the high-speed challenges of the German Autobahn, the U.S. divisions of DaimlerChrysler and Ford Motor Company joined their European colleagues in 2005 by recommending the tires installed as Original Equipment be replaced after six years of service. (General Motors declined to offer a recommendation until a more scientific analysis of driving conditions and tire aging could be completed)."
The link to the full article is here -->http://www.tirerack.com/tires-techpage-1/138.shtml
If you follow the recommendations of some OEM manufacturers the tires are almost to the end of their useful life. It would probably be cheaper to replace the tires than to have an incident with them and incur damage not only to your vehicle but to the lives of anybody in the vehicle.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels