Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 01:46 AM   #1
Millermagic
AF Regular

LT Tires on a Car

I'm looking for new tires for my 01 Taurus. I absolutely do not like these bald touring tires that come up when I put in 215 60 16. I started playing around with different tire sizes - particularly 215 65 16 and got http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=9

I like those tires because they are fairly cheap, have nice tread and should last longer than a tire with softer compound.

I wasn't getting the best response to that idea on other message boards, but I don't really see how those tires are that bad for my car... they won't hydroplane because of the tread, they won't wear out as quick (especially after I get the alignment) and they really aren't too heavy duty for the car because I carry around 500 pounds of junk around with me.

- Leather - Transmission Cooler - Gen III Tweeter Sails - Gen III Rocker Covers -

As you walk through the valley of RICE, you shall fear NO V-TEC, for torque is with thee!

Millermagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:45 AM   #2
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

Re: LT Tires on a Car

You have to admit this is an unusual direction to take. So let's examine it:

The size you chose is bigger in diameter and the question is will it fit in the fenderwells. There may seem to be a lot of room, but the worst condition is fully turned and fully compressed, so we won't know until they go on and you drive around for a while.

The Geolanders in the size you you mentioned go on small SUV's, which are primarily street vehicles and I suspect the tires only look heavy duty. Nevertheless, I would expect the Geolanders to be noiser and ride rougher.

Overall this doesn't sound like a good idea, and I suspect that there is a local tire shop that is selling an all season tire for a chunk less money - and in the long run, you'll be happier with it.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
Millermagic
AF Regular

I think I'll be getting Traction T/A for the car ... they seem to have some tread.

- Leather - Transmission Cooler - Gen III Tweeter Sails - Gen III Rocker Covers -

As you walk through the valley of RICE, you shall fear NO V-TEC, for torque is with thee!

Last edited by Millermagic; 12-26-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:30 PM   #4
RightWingZionist
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic
I think I'll be getting Traction T/A for the car ... they seem to have some tread.
You cant tell by just looking at the tires.
215/60/R16 I order for my step dads camry as Yokohama AVID TRZs. 12/32" tread for that size and 700 rating w/ 80k miles warranty. Also has great reviews, even for that car. I put my finger in it and they are pretty damn deep and aggressive looking if you are supersticious.
Good Luck.
RightWingZionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:50 AM   #5
Millermagic
AF Regular

I stopped in at the local Sams Club and looked at the T/As. Not as much tread as I thought, but still good. For 100/tire with balancing, mounting, lifetime road hazard protection and a few other things, I didn't think it was that bad.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

You can go to either of these sites to compare tire sizes andsee how much bigger they are, and how much of a change you'll see in your speedo:

http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels