Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 09:14 AM   #1
MiltSA
AF Newbie

Thanks - still problems

Okay, I took ya'lls advice and went back to the dealer. I got a better salesperson and he had a mechanic drive the car to see what I was talking about. He determined that the tires were too big so he found some 165's in town and we put them on the car. The car still had a rough rides so I brought the PSI down from 32 to 28 (closer to the back). The ride is still rough so I'm trying to learn more about strutts. Replacements are about $500 at Pepboys. What are the symtoms of bad struts?
MiltSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 09:39 AM   #2
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
I knew they had something to do with the size. Anyway, as for suspension. If you really feel the bumps, your shocks could be worn. If when you hit a bump hard and you feel like you hit metal on metal(If you drive a lot, you know what I mean) that could be an indicator that they are worn. You can also push down on one corner of the car and see if it keeps bouncing when you let it go. If it does, your shocks are worn. You can tell if they are good cuz when you push down and let go, it shouldn't come back down. Instead, it should just stay up. Let me know if that helps.
Old 07-18-2001, 03:02 PM   #3
MiltSA
AF Newbie

Here's something interesting

I did what you suggested and went to push the back corner down to see how it bounce. It wouldn't go down. The front will and the right rear corner goes down a little but the back left doesn't seem to go down at all. Is that possible or is it my imagination? And if it's not my imagination what does it mean?

Also, going over speed bumps I notice that the front goes over fine and smooth but it doesn't get bumpy till I go over on the back tires.

Milton
Old 07-18-2001, 03:13 PM   #4
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
If the car doesn't move, it just means your suspension is fine. The only thing I can say is, you'll just have to get used to it. It might just be the way the car is acting now with the new rubber. I don't think it will be that bad.
Old 07-18-2001, 03:53 PM   #5
MiltSA
AF Newbie

Thanks

Augh!!!!! I feared that answer. I'll try to get used to it. One last question, is there any chance that the shocks/struts are so worn that it would be stuck at the bottom and couldn't be pushed down any further?

Milt
Old 07-18-2001, 05:31 PM   #6
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

That can happen, although I doubt it since you said that the car stayed up when you pushed down. That which you speak is called bottoming out. The shocks or struts or what have you fully compresses and wants to go further. Obviously it can't cuz of the base of the mounts. It can damage your cars suspension. However, you aren't anywhere near it. Plus the fact that if they were settled in there mounts, your car would be so stiff, it isn't even funny. If you ever seen a car that is dropped a lot, you'll notice that when they go over the slightest bump, it tends to have a really visible bounce. Your car isn't doing that. Hopefully.

Anyway, hope that helps.
Old 07-19-2001, 03:25 AM   #7
primera man
"P-Man"

Send a message via AIM to primera man
...Listen to "Doctor DVS" !!!! :finger:

Current Build.....1/12 Scale Camaro......Almost finished!!!

View All My Models Here.
primera man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 05:36 AM   #8
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Quote:
Originally posted by primera man
Sounds like a really bad STD! :silly2: :silly2:
Old 07-19-2001, 07:20 AM   #9
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Quote:
Hey Moppie and Primera:finger: :finger:
Old 07-19-2001, 03:56 PM   #10
primera man
"P-Man"

Send a message via AIM to primera man
Quote:
Originally posted by DVSNCYNIKL

Hey Moppie and Primera:finger: :finger:
The Doctor has spoken

Current Build.....1/12 Scale Camaro......Almost finished!!!

View All My Models Here.
primera man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 07:27 AM   #11
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Quote:

The Doctor has spoken
LMAO!!!!:hehe:
Old 08-03-2001, 11:39 PM   #12
IntegraR0064
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to IntegraR0064
Re: Here's something interesting

Quote:
Originally posted by MiltSA
I did what you suggested and went to push the back corner down to see how it bounce. It wouldn't go down. The front will and the right rear corner goes down a little but the back left doesn't seem to go down at all. Is that possible or is it my imagination? And if it's not my imagination what does it mean?

Also, going over speed bumps I notice that the front goes over fine and smooth but it doesn't get bumpy till I go over on the back tires.

Milton
By the way, I replied to your first post before I saw this one. It seems I was right about the tires...I don't know why they did that in the first place...

Anyway, this is very bad! If the car doesn't go down, you're most likely on the bumpstops (either that or you have some extremely stiff springs). Most likely either the springs or struts may be excessively worn, I would get them checked out immediatley.
2000 FBP Integra Type R #0064

IntegraR0064 is offline   Reply With Quote