Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 09:25 AM   #1
Josh Smith
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Josh Smith
'04 WJ Power Windows Quit Couple Days After Regulator Replacement

Hello,

A couple days ago I replaced the driver's side power window motor and regulator. All windows worked nicely.

Today I went to pull out and found that none of the windows worked.

Since I had to go to work and it was hot, I pulled the connector and used two jumper wires to roll down the driver's window.

After returning home from the shop, I began to probe.

There was a broken black wire in the door jamb; I spliced it.

Another wire, orange and white (I think), was iffy, so I cut it and spliced it.

No joy.

I tried resetting the BCM by touching the disconnected battery terminals together. This didn't work.

Exploring, I found a single blown fuse -- the oxygen sensor 15a fuse under the hood was toast for some strange reason. I replaced it.

Tearing into the master switch itself, I think I found the problem:

Obviously, it blew.

Questions:

1. Anyone know why this blew? Pretty sure bad grounds can cause this on power amplifiers, and if the ground went out, it could have been trying to ground through another path.

2. What circuit is are the power windows on? The O2 sensor circuit? Or was that a coincidence?

3. I've ordered a reman one. I'd rather not blow it. Anything I need to check before installing it?

4. I have power to the switch; my windows themselves work. If it were any other vehicle, I'd say bad master switch, for certain. However, I'm not certain, given that there were broken wires between the door and body. Is there anything else I should look for that might be causing the windows to fail?

It's just really weird that this switch should fail so soon after fixing the window.

Help?

Thank you.

Regards,
Josh

2000 Blazer, loaded, looks showroom new, bought April 4th, 2009
Josh Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:44 AM   #2
Josh Smith
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Josh Smith
Re: '04 WJ Power Windows Quit Couple Days After Regulator Replacement

Hello,

Replacement module arrived. It's fixed.

Turns out this was coincidence after all.

Regards,
Josh

2000 Blazer, loaded, looks showroom new, bought April 4th, 2009
Josh Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8