Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Quest | Presage | Serena
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 02:08 PM   #1
autorotate63
AF Newbie

04 Quest Starting problems

Hey gang:

Anyone else experiencing starting problems with the 04 Quest S model? The vehicle will turn over run rough for a few seconds and then die, like it's starving for gas. It has happened to us on three seperate occasions. The second time trapped us out of state for 1 1/2 extra hours. The van is new with less then 4000 miles. It's been to the dealers twice and returned with the "fail to replicate".

A.R.
autorotate63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 04:39 PM   #2
RatioCynic
AF Newbie

Exclamation Make Lemonade from your Lemon

You may qualify under the Lemon Law for your state. Check requirements at http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/ Also checkout the Tips page for preparing proper documentation. RC
RatioCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 08:25 AM   #3
sundevil87
AF Newbie

2004 Quest Starting Problems

I have had similar problems with our Quest. Most of the time it will start after a couple of minutes, but this last time it wouldn't start for over 45 minutes. Of course by the time they towed it 40 miles to the dealer it started fine. I have had it in twice for the starting issue and they say there is nothing wrong. It happened to us Tuesday and is in the shop right now. They are going to try a new fuel pump today, but I think they have no idea what actually is happening because it won't replicate in the shop. We'll see if this works, of course we may not know for a month or two, because of the sporadic nature of the problem. Maybe we have got lemons.
sundevil87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 10:40 PM   #4
IronWagon
AF Newbie

Add another Quest to the list.
It first happened two months ago and I thought it was a fluke occurrence. The other day it refused to start at all for my wife, but later did start/ran rough at first, when I arrived home.
My neighbor's 2003 Altima does the same thing. It even died once, going down the highway. All problems of course, can't be reliably duplicated.
What a shame, an otherwise flawless drivetrain IMO...

Fuel pump? I did hear the pump pressurize during the first no-start.
PCM related, or engine sensor(cam, crankshaft or throttle position sensor related??).
Battery related? It's new of course and should be fine.
Overly rich, flooded at start up?
I'm not very familiar with the Nissan specifics, and probably never will be given the extreme difficulty in accessing the Quest engine.
Oh well...

Ron
IronWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 10:30 PM   #5
gogonzo
AF Newbie

nissan quest starting problems

For those experiencing a hard start/long crank - I have an 04 quest and had the same problem; it was traced to a bad fuel pump. The check valve would leak and allow fuel to go back to the tank if car sat for several hours. Frustatingly, problem was intermitent. If you crank it and it does not start right up this may be your problem. You might even try (please be careful!) and check scrader valve at fuel rail and see if you have pressure - if little or no fuel shoots right out of valve after a quick, light press, bingo. I will admit that I do not know if fuel rail is easily accesable, but I have used this technique on other cars. Hope this helps! - PS - I do believe that a bullitin exists for this fuel pump problem - do not let dealer bs you!
gogonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 09:27 AM   #6
councillor
AF Newbie

Exclamation that sounds reasonable gogonzo

I'm retired (33 yrs as a dealer SM for a diff mfg.) and can vouch for both the BS of some dealerships and the annoying fact that one can't duplicate the vehicle problem. the intermittent thing will kill the service lane over time.

Back to the problem, I would "also" suspect the fuel pump, it's relay, pressure building up in the tank dur to improper venting or a temp sensor.
councillor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:57 PM   #7
IronWagon
AF Newbie

In response to my post above, the problem has been resolved. As was mentioned, it was the fuel pump that fixed the random no-start condition.
Unfortunately, the A/C compressor is now on it's last legs and is due to be replaced.

Ron
IronWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 09:12 PM   #8
Fred95GSX
AF Newbie

Re: 04 Quest Starting problems

Our 04 Quest had to be deliverd to the dealership from across town. Turns out the fuel pump had to be replaced since it left the guy driving the van stranded. Seems like Nissan had a bad batch of fuel pumps or fuel pump installations.

IronWagon, what are the indications that your A/C compressor is on it's last leg? My wife said ours crapped out on her a few days ago. I have yet to duplicate it during my time in the van.

95 Eclipse
04 Quest
Fred95GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 04:24 PM   #9
poison_blood
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to poison_blood

hey guys Im getting really scard I just got me afew months ago a Quest 04 no problems at the time it only has 4006 mls I hope it will not happend but if it happend I will take it back to the dealer to get my full pump replace
poison_blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 11:26 PM   #10
Fred95GSX
AF Newbie

You have nothing to be scared of. Enjoy your van and take a nice long road trip.

95 Eclipse
04 Quest
Old 08-31-2004, 03:25 PM   #11
Bradmac2020
AF Newbie

Same Old Same Old

I am having the exact same problem with our 04 Quest 30k miles
Has been doing this since we bought it. Has been back twice to the dealer no luck.

Just called again to bring it back in. Great Van Crappy Service at all Dealers we have worked with.
Bradmac2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 12:49 PM   #12
Fred95GSX
AF Newbie

What has the dealership done the past 2 times the van has been in for service?

95 Eclipse
04 Quest
Old 09-24-2004, 08:11 AM   #13
mwebber78
AF Newbie

I have an 04' and i was curious about the VIN #'s of the people who have had bad fuel pumps? the last five digits will tell me when it was built, I think mine was towards the last 1/2 of the 04' run, so I'm hoping these issues were resolved. Mine is # 33,948.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 02:14 PM   #14
wbelan
AF Newbie

Also have 04 Nissan Quest with starting problems. Problem is infrequent with weeks between outages.
Has occured three times now with 10K on meter. Fuel pump ??? Agree with customer discontent concerning service representatives. By appearance, they are noticeably annoyed when the easy solution eludes them.
wbelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:46 AM   #15
rach98n
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 04 Quest Starting problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78
Mine is # 33,948.
Oh my gosh! I'm so glad I found you all! I have the same problem with my '04 Quest. Dealer could not replicate the problem. I'm trying to keep a log this week of the start problem and possibly even video tape it to take to the dealer. Last time it was in they said they checked the battery, electrical system, computer, etc... No mention of checking the fuel pump.

Interestingly, my VIN isn't far from yours...it ends in # 33277. I've printed out some of your msgs to take to the dealer next time.

I would LOVE to be rid of this vehicle! This is only the current problem.
rach98n is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Quest | Presage | Serena