Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Technical Discuss different strategies and theories of the racing aspect.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 02:13 AM   #1
vietxxxtasy
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to vietxxxtasy
What car to modify?

I am looking for some answer. What an inexpensive and great car to modify into a street beast? I am trying to learn more about cars and buy myself a ride
vietxxxtasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 11:39 PM   #2
Jm93
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Jm93 Send a message via AIM to Jm93 Send a message via MSN to Jm93 Send a message via Yahoo to Jm93
i woudl suggest starting with a sports car. but it all depends on what your looking for, what you have to spend, and so on and so on. it will be your first car right? if so, then dont be picky, i mean you dont need a 1 second car when your learning the ropes of driving.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:29 AM   #3
vietxxxtasy
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to vietxxxtasy
I'm thinking an import car. That looks great. My budget is about 5000. What's the best i can get out a 5000 ride?
vietxxxtasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 11:14 AM   #4
Volvord 784VC
AF Regular

Any car can be modified, the question is what are you looking for? How unique you want your car to be? What is your idea of modifying? (Looks, performance, sound system, etc)

The great thing about the automotive industry is that you have an endless selection of cars that cover every imaginable concept. Common engine and/or body modification parts are available for the classic American cars, Mustang, Camaro, and Imports like Civics, etc. A recent trend in "modifying and hot rodding" is taking a 1960's through 1980's full size station wagon, lowering them, adding an awesome stereo, 18"+ wheels, window tint, etc, they are very hot right now. Or go the unusual route, take a car that no one sees as suitable for modifying and make it your own, a project like this may take a little more time and be a little more challenging but the results definitely turns heads and is personally rewarding. That is why I built my V8 Volvo

http://www.volvord.com New site

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gilesij/Volvord/ Old site
Volvord 784VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 10:22 PM   #5
pimpmaro
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to pimpmaro Send a message via AIM to pimpmaro
To be honest, if you're looking for a "street beast" you're probably not gonna find it in an import. I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but it's much easier to make a beast out of a V8 than a 4. Yes, you can make any car really fast, but the question is, how much work do you have do do to it? In one of the latest car and drivers, they had a face off with a bunch of high level import tuners. I forgot which one one, but a bone stock corvette beat all the highly modified imports in every event. Not that I'm saying get a corvette, but it's an example of how nice torque is.

A fun one would be a classic muscle car. You can do just about anything you want to them, if you find the right one it's relatively inexpensive, and they're really easy to work on (plenty of room in the engine bay on most of them).
pimpmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 04:50 AM   #6
BiMMa b0i M3
AF Regular

well you can pretty much get any type of 4 banger for 5k, like a honda, acura, toyota, something to that aspect, and they are light as hell, but they are pieces of shit. if you want to have a heavy car and make it a street beast, i would recommend that you save up more money to have before buying, if you want to get a car and slightly modify it, and learn from it, your more than welcome to do so. I bought a 94 325is, and modded that car, it was a coupe 5spd, it wasnt the fastest thing in the world, but I made it have up too 200rwhp in that car, stock in that car is like 130-150 rwhp (not sure), and after being very very proficient in driving stick, I finally learned more about the higher end models for the 3 series, being the M3, and I got myself a 95 M3, and Im in the process of making it lighter, corner like a beast, and giving it extra hp at the wheels, but nothing too insane. I am also doing lots of interior and exterior work so that I can make my car look nice inside and out. It took me about 5-6 months looking up research, figuring out whats good, what mods are compatible with what other mods, and pricing and all of that good stuff. Take this word of advice. Buy a decent 5spd car, drive it completely around stock for about 6-12 months, practice acceleration, and smooth shifting without stalling, and also figure out how to get more momentum while driving. Once you have been able to figure out your particular type of driving style, then you mod the car, and during that period to the point where you are learning, youll have money saved up to start modding. But dont modd the shit out of it, unless you are 100 percent sure that your not going to sell it, if you plan on selling just put in chip, intake, and exhaust, its the simplest mods that you can put into the car, and it gives a decent amount of hp gain. I didnt get my M3 until after 18 months of driving around my 325is. I like the 325is, but nothing can compare to my M3, I love that car, its about 40-50 lbs lighter than stock. if you have any questions, pm me.
BiMMa b0i M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 03:00 PM   #7
LoW_KeY
AF Regular

Want to make a beast you can always resort to forced air, granted no matter what you do something will always be faster.

I bought my car for 3500, did complete polly $200, then new motor 4000, its light, corners and puts a smile on my face every time I jump in

Best bet is to test drive cars, get to know people who have cars your curious about, find out what you like before putting the money towards something
Old 10-12-2003, 11:51 AM   #8
Vi3t Stylez
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Vi3t Stylez
Question

A stock corvette beating EVERY SINGLE highly modified import? Pssh. I'll need to see some proof to believe it.
Old 10-12-2003, 05:32 PM   #9
Ace$nyper
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ace$nyper Send a message via MSN to Ace$nyper Send a message via Yahoo to Ace$nyper
5k sounds like a good amout for a fox body 5.0 great motor nice car goes fast cheap looks cool can be made to handle. Or go with somthing like a older audi with not many options i see A4s go for about that a lot you get AWD and a Turbo motor not bad.
Ace$nyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 05:43 PM   #10
Shiftlock
AF Enthusiast

Re: What car to modify?

Steer clear of FF cars.Grab an Rx-7,their is lots of support for the 13B,51/49 weight balance,and weighs around 2800lbs.Not only can they be fast in the straights,they own in the corners.It depends what type of car you want though.Do you justwant to be fast in the straights,or do you want to be fast in the corners and straights.
Shiftlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 01:12 PM   #11
inspiron
AF Regular

why not instead of geting a shity little four banger get a 1980 something monte carlo the baddest car i know of. I'm more than confident a stock monte carlo could beat most of thoes puney honda and orther rice burners and if you diside to do somen to it (turbo, cold air intake, nos and a new exaust system) on top of a car that is rear wheel drive has a 5.7L V8 and probably supercharged you'll have the scariest car i could imagein!
inspiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 05:51 AM   #12
proticus
AF Regular

nothing is scarier than a throaty supercharged early 80's monte carlo. definitely a project i need to do.
proticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 02:01 AM   #13
MustangRoadRacer
AF Enthusiast

get a late 80's mustang.
I bought mine for 4500.
Stock = 225hp/300lb-ft.
Now = 447hp/439lb-ft
best decision I ever made. cheap go fast parts too.
MustangRoadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 02:59 AM   #14
White Dragon
AF Newbie

I want to know if someone has tuned up a honda civic racing 3 doors?It will be great to know how far can i gow with my car.
White Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 03:14 AM   #15
White Dragon
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: What car to modify?

You can start with a mitsubishi FTO gpx.It has a 2.0 motor,and if you want to hard tune it,you can make it a 380 bhp car,just fitting a turbo charger,a full exaust sistem,racing weell and air cleaner.It is a lightweight car,front wheel drived and with fantastic torke.A good car for street racing.Ad to it pirelli racin tyres,sports suspension and a brembo brakes kit too.
White Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Technical