Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #46
Fast Viper Dan
AF Newbie

Re: Picture Corral

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothkc View Post
Just for comparison I do 1:37s at Laguna in a "stock" GTS. 1:41s in my GTRA. A well driven "amature" Porsche GT3 Cup car will do low 1:30s with many in the mid 1:30s.....so that is a pretty fast Panoz.

I would guess that a "pro driver" could get a stock GTS to do 1:33-34's at Laguna. I don't have alot of seat time there.

Kevin
Kevin,
1:37's is a good time in a stock GTS.
The best I've seen was 1:35xx by a guy from Washington. He and another GTS driver were running 1:35xx and 1:36xx.

My best was 1:38 flat. I was just getting to know how to set the car up after rebuilding the suspension, but, I sold the car to a guy that wanted to go faster than he was. He's still working on that.
Fast Viper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #47
boothkc
AF Regular

Is a bone stock GTS even competitive in GT2?

Yes and no..... Let me put this in perspective at our local NorCal track Thunderhill my stock GTS does 1:55s with a "pro driver" and with some more seat time he could likely do 1:54s. My PBL there is a 1:57 and many of the other Panoz are running right around 2:00 flat.

The track record for GT2 SCCA is 1:54 in a 996 GT3 Cup car that was very well driven. Note the 997 GT3s are in GT1 as are the Vipers. The fastest GT2 cars tend to be the Porsches which are few and far between and Tube frame Mazda RX7s which depending on motor can run GT2 or GT3 (faster).

So you can be competitive depending on your skill and who shows up. To take on the Porsches we really need some more development (500hp, diffusers etc) and it would be a good fight.

A Panoz has one the GT2 regional championship every year that I can remember, but this has alot to do with making it to all the races, too.

Dan is correct that the current GT2 GTS isn't competitive on a National level in SCCA even with very good drivers. We need (likely will never get since Joel is gone at PAD) upgrades. The other cars are just too fast and well driven on a Nationals level.

Kevin
boothkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #48
Fast Viper Dan
AF Newbie

[quote=boothkc;6808583]Is a bone stock GTS even competitive in GT2?

At the National level, Panoz will not win. The same two drivers I mentioned above finished 10th and 11th.
Back in 2002 or 2003 a Panoz won the SFR GT1 Championship. This was before we were put into GTP and then GT2 class.
You've got to finish to win!
Old 09-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #49
aromocki
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info on the rules. GT-1 permits the use of 16" wheels and I beleive Jim built this car to run in GT-1 otherwise he wouldnt have bothered with the engine upgrade and the downsizing of the rims. I will likely on race GT-1 at my home track in Ontario if I am eligible for it and see how I stack up against the big boys. With luck I will be able to make my car eligible and will likely take a thumping at my home track!
Old 09-30-2010, 05:26 PM   #50
Fast Viper Dan
AF Newbie

I don't think much has been done to that car since I last drove it. If that is so, I suggest you look at a few things I thought needed attention.
Front Hymen joints, upper control arm bushings, lower mono ball (?). Maybe shock rebuild.
What I noticed was the car was unsettled under hard braking. It sort of wiggles.
There should not be play in these components.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #51
boothkc
AF Regular

I'd only replace the "hymen" joints in a virgin..... Couldn't resist.

We have a 1-2 yr cycle to replace all the suspension parts (hyme joints, spindles, shock rebuild, BJs etc) amazing how fast the joints wear out and slight slop causes major handling issues. You don't ever want to break a spindle too.... They are good only for a couple of years at best in a raced car. If PAD is out they are stocked by Coleman. Good hyme joints are about $75 each and you need lots of them!

Kevin
Old 10-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #52
eric1h
AF Enthusiast

Kevin, do you know the sizes? been trying to get some from PAD, but cant seem to get a quote/reply...

I need the "outer tie rod ends"(heim joints)

GT-WC #22 (now #62 and Blue)

eric1h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #53
Cobra4B
AF Enthusiast

When we had the car refreshed over the winter between 2008-2009 pretty much every heim-joint was replaced. The difference was very noticable. On side-beneift is the car stopped creaking and clanking like it was going to fall apart when driving around the pits.
Cobra4B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #54
aromocki
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Viper Dan View Post
I don't think much has been done to that car since I last drove it. If that is so, I suggest you look at a few things I thought needed attention.
Front Hymen joints, upper control arm bushings, lower mono ball (?). Maybe shock rebuild.
What I noticed was the car was unsettled under hard braking. It sort of wiggles.
There should not be play in these components.
Thats too funny as you are 100% correct. All the heims and bushings were shot when I first drove the car. All the wheel bearings were shot, the brake bias was seized and one tire had 3/8" to out.

The car was also very darty and we tried 1/8" toe out, 1/16" to out, 0 toe out and now we have toe in and it handles awesome. I think its lowered and the wider track causes it to go toe out on the corners.

I am racing with another gentlemen called Elmer that is racing a Transam Car and I think he knows you as well??

Andrew
Old 10-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #55
Fast Viper Dan
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aromocki View Post
Thats too funny as you are 100% correct. All the heims and bushings were shot when I first drove the car. All the wheel bearings were shot, the brake bias was seized and one tire had 3/8" to out.

The car was also very darty and we tried 1/8" toe out, 1/16" to out, 0 toe out and now we have toe in and it handles awesome. I think its lowered and the wider track causes it to go toe out on the corners.

I am racing with another gentlemen called Elmer that is racing a Transam Car and I think he knows you as well??

Andrew
I do know Elmer.
Good luck keeping up with him.LOL
Old 10-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #56
aromocki
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Viper Dan View Post
I do know Elmer.
Good luck keeping up with him.LOL
Elmer is doing 1:23s at Mosport, so he is FAST. My best time is a 1:27.11 so far. Hopefully next year I can give him something to think about.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #57
boothkc
AF Regular

Hopefully, that is Elmer Shannon. He's one of the nicest guys you will encounter in racing. True sportsman and gentlemen. He dominated SCCA in his blue tube frame Corvette. Blisteringly fast and well driven. He's currently running Trans Am with it. My guess is that is about a $200k Vette.

Learn from him!

Kevin
Old 10-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #58
panozracing
AF Enthusiast

Got a picture of the car? I am at the petit watching the imsa lites races and trans-am ran today too. Fast TA1 cars (GT1)

Did you know that Trans-Am just allowed GT2, GTA, and GT3 race cars into the show?
2000 Panoz GTS #420
NASA ST1
427ci Stroker
panozracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:49 AM   #59
jmimac351
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1h View Post
Kevin, do you know the sizes? been trying to get some from PAD, but cant seem to get a quote/reply...

I need the "outer tie rod ends"(heim joints)
Eric, FYI I saw this place advertised on one of those car shows. Apparently they target racing applications...

http://rodendsupply.com/

~ Building 289 Lemans Replica
~ '92 Mustang Coupe: 347ci / Carb
Pictures
jmimac351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #60
boothkc
AF Regular

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS