Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #31
Gatorac
AF Regular

Re: Motor Build

WOW. Lucky that didn't come all the way apart and try to escape through the block.

Jim Pomroy

96 Miata track car.
2012 Camaro SS.
Backdraft Racing Cobra #930
92 Miata "LemonDrop"
Saturn V Rocket Miata Crapcan #81
99 Miata daily driver.
Gatorac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #32
jencruz8787
AF Newbie

Hello guys,

I am from the Philippines. I have problem with my car, It seems that sometimes It automatically turns off. My car is kinda Old, a toyota Coralla. This was my fathers car bought on 1999. Now the car belongs to me.

What seems to be the problem when a cars engine automatically turns off? do I have to modify any of the parts? I'm not really good with cars.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #33
NZGTRA17
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencruz8787 View Post
Hello guys,

I am from the Philippines. I have problem with my car, It seems that sometimes It automatically turns off. My car is kinda Old, a toyota Coralla. This was my fathers car bought on 1999. Now the car belongs to me.

What seems to be the problem when a cars engine automatically turns off? do I have to modify any of the parts? I'm not really good with cars.
It would be better to ask this question in the Toyota / Corolla section of Automotive Forums where other owners of this type of car may be able to help you.
Panoz GTRA #17
New Zealand
NZGTRA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #34
Cobra4B
AF Enthusiast

Really sucks when you pay good money for good parts etc. and have crap like this happen.
#4 Z06 - NASA ST3/TT3
Cobra4B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #35
Panoz26
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencruz8787 View Post
Hello guys,

you might want to post in the 'Yota section.

Panoz26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #36
NZGTRA17
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrafang View Post
Yes those are the pictures of the same crank. The shop did do some polishing/prep work. The crank came internally balanced so they did some minor work I certainly would not call it "serious".

I will try to get some better pictures with my REAL camera sometime this week.

I have not heard back yet from Keith Craft yet. I expect I will today.

Thanks for all the dialogue.
Tom, the additional pictures explain a lot more. The no. 1 throw rework is not of an acceptable standard.

This was a fatigue failure waiting to happen for a number of reasons - reduced cross sectional area to take power/rotating loads, poor surface finish (on edges as well as flat areas) providing a haven of crack initiation sites, hard nitrided outer shell has been ground off the crank reducing strength etc etc.

I have seen pictures of other very very similar failures to this on the web in 5.0 based Ford strokers. As far as I can recall these have all been engines where the crank has been zero balanced. They have had identical rework in the area that your crank has (some looked like they had been done with a disc grinder) on the no 1 throw. End result has been the same - cracked through the throw.

I know you probably dont want to hear this but the block should now also be checked. The front main will have taken a beating holding this together so should now be checked for alignment and concentricity at the very least. If it is not checked and another crank is thrown in you may have bearing issues with this main.
Panoz GTRA #17
New Zealand
Old 03-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #37
Cobrafang
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZGTRA17 View Post
Tom, the additional pictures explain a lot more. The no. 1 throw rework is not of an acceptable standard.

This was a fatigue failure waiting to happen for a number of reasons - reduced cross sectional area to take power/rotating loads, poor surface finish (on edges as well as flat areas) providing a haven of crack initiation sites, hard nitrided outer shell has been ground off the crank reducing strength etc etc.

I have seen pictures of other very very similar failures to this on the web in 5.0 based Ford strokers. As far as I can recall these have all been engines where the crank has been zero balanced. They have had identical rework in the area that your crank has (some looked like they had been done with a disc grinder) on the no 1 throw. End result has been the same - cracked through the throw.

I know you probably dont want to hear this but the block should now also be checked. The front main will have taken a beating holding this together so should now be checked for alignment and concentricity at the very least. If it is not checked and another crank is thrown in you may have bearing issues with this main.
Thanks Kel, I am on it.
Tom
2001 BMW M5 (Road Toy)
2006 F250 (Car Hauler)
2002 Odyssey (Kid Hauler)
Cobrafang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #38
NZGTRA17
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks Kel, I am on it.
Tom
Tom, any progress with determing cause of failure and resolving?
Panoz GTRA #17
New Zealand
Old 05-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #39
NZGTRA17
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks Kel, I am on it.
Tom
Tom, whats the progress? Has this been resolved with the builder? What are you piecing together to replace the shortblock?
Panoz GTRA #17
New Zealand
Old 05-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #40
PanozDuke
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZGTRA17 View Post
Tom, whats the progress? Has this been resolved with the builder? What are you piecing together to replace the shortblock?
Kel,
Talked to Tom today. Eagle replaced the crank and has the old one. They did not tell him what the issue was. The only damage to the motor was the crank and front seal and bearing. The builder is doing a complete tear down, line hone and reassembly. Tom is planning on a visit tomorrow to check progress. I think the plan is to run it in on an engine dyno and give it a good tune. The 8 into 1 Kelasaurus headers and exhaust system has been in the works for several weeks and should be nearing completion. The dyno is tied to being able to tune with the headers. He should get some word on the progress on those as well.

Mike
PanozDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:32 AM   #41
NZGTRA17
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanozDuke View Post
Kel,
Talked to Tom today. Eagle replaced the crank and has the old one. They did not tell him what the issue was. The only damage to the motor was the crank and front seal and bearing. The builder is doing a complete tear down, line hone and reassembly. Tom is planning on a visit tomorrow to check progress. I think the plan is to run it in on an engine dyno and give it a good tune. The 8 into 1 Kelasaurus headers and exhaust system has been in the works for several weeks and should be nearing completion. The dyno is tied to being able to tune with the headers. He should get some word on the progress on those as well.

Mike
Hey Mike, great to hear that the situation has been resolved satisfactorily. Will be interested to see how you go with the exhaust fit up and how it goes power numbers wise. As you will have seen the exhaust performed well again when I streched my engine up to 347.

Select your muffler/s carefully though Mike as I have noticed my car has quite a bit more "bark" to it now with the 347. If I have problems with breaking the 95db rule I may look at using 2 3" Spintech mufflers and merging after these into a single 4" pipe. I have used Spintechs before and they are compact and really kill noise well.

Kel.
Panoz GTRA #17
New Zealand

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS