Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Formula-One
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 02:16 AM   #1
ales
Forza Schumacher

02. Malaysian GP

OK, what are your predictions for the race? MS doesn't seem to be too far ahead in qualifying... But my bet is still on him, after all, he has never lost on this circuit (he didn't lose in '99, he "donated" the victory). What do you all think?

Would love to resume my duties as AF's own official thread bastardizer!!!
1:29:53.435 || 207.316 || 310.596
ales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 10:20 PM   #2
NSX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to NSX Send a message via AIM to NSX Send a message via MSN to NSX Send a message via Yahoo to NSX
hmm....
i watched qualifying too
seemed all the cars were kind of slow as the announcer said

i thought yoong had a bad time, but shumacher didn't beat him by a wide margin

what was the best time in the practices?

i'm guessing:
1. Michael Schumacher
2. J.P. Montoya
3. Ralf Schumacher
4. Benz and Rubens maybe

Ferrari, Benz, and BMW are just too strong for the other teams...

NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 03:20 AM   #3
ales
Forza Schumacher

Impressions

Right after the race...

Williams - won fair and square. Deservingly lead the manufacturers' championship.

Ferrari - made a mistake by using the old car. Worked in Australia, but not this time. Even the reliability (the thing they considered when opting for F2001) let them down. Hope the F2002 is reliable. BTW, the commentator siad that acocrding to his information, the new car is extremely fast, but the new gearbox design proved to last for around 30 laps only. Hope they solve it. Also, since Malaysian GP '99 (!) at least one Ferrari has been on the podium.

Renault - great race for Button. Although the car let him down on the last friggin' lap!

JPM vs. MS - at first it seemed to me that it was Mihael's fault. But when I saw the incident from Montoya's car view, it seems to me that he did NOT leave enough room. Although it still was just a racing accident. I liked the way both men handled it at the press conference - as something that happens, and did not make a big fuss about that.

Malaysian TV - they suck dead bears through a garden hose hole! ( (c) George Roffe) As in they did not really show any important replays, but they did when someone lapped someone. Yuck! cameramen sucked! They followed one car only and even if behind that car something was happening (like a passing maneuvre) they still followed that car and changed angles. Frustrating as hell.

Championship - seems to be wide open... and promising ...

Feel free to post your own.

Old 03-17-2002, 07:30 AM   #4
crayzayjay
CFA

I dont think it was a mistake using last year's car.. as we saw in qualifying, michael was setting the pace and in the race Barrichello was leading for a while as well... the car was fast, its just they were unlucky.

i agree, JPM didnt leave enough space and cut across Michael.. a little more experience and it wont happen again... Ralf drove the perfect race.... the championship is wide open now in terms of points, but i expect Ferrari to run away with it once the new car comes in...

cheers,
jay
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 08:01 AM   #5
taranaki
Banned

Funniest moment of the race was when Benoldi caught Shu unawares and passed him on the rebound....Ferrari's finest getting beaten by a standard Cosworth!Pity he couldn't hold the position for a bit longer....a disappointing weekend for Barrichello though......
taranaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 09:04 AM   #6
ales
Forza Schumacher

Quote:
Originally posted by taranaki
Funniest moment of the race was when Benoldi caught Shu unawares and passed him on the rebound....Ferrari's finest getting beaten by a standard Cosworth!Pity he couldn't hold the position for a bit longer....a disappointing weekend for Barrichello though......
Yeah, that was unexpected But during that duel I noticed how awesome Ferrari / Schumacher were on the brakes. He braked so much later it was unbelievable.

Quote:
Originally posted by crayzayjay
I dont think it was a mistake using last year's car.. as we saw in qualifying, michael was setting the pace and in the race Barrichello was leading for a while as well... the car was fast, its just they were unlucky.
jay
Well, it depends on the objectives. Surely, if they wanted just some points then the old car was the right solution. But Schumi didn't seem to have any chance whatsoever to fight with his brother for the win. Just look at the laptimes.

Old 03-17-2002, 12:17 PM   #7
b16a2si
AF Enthusiast

Re: Impressions

Quote:
Originally posted by ales
JPM vs. MS - at first it seemed to me that it was Mihael's fault. But when I saw the incident from Montoya's car view, it seems to me that he did NOT leave enough room. Although it still was just a racing accident. I liked the way both men handled it at the press conference - as something that happens, and did not make a big fuss about that.
I felt that both of them handled everything as they should have at the press conference but I thought the penalty given to Montoya was pretty harsh. After all, wasn't he in the lead when he his Michael?

Malasyian tv blows. It took so long to get that first corner incident on replay... But somehow managed to show the two Jordans crash into each other... Well, better luck to Jordan and BAR next time.
b16a2si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 01:11 PM   #8
crayzayjay
CFA

Quote:
Malasyian tv blows
you can say that again.... i cant believe they didnt follow the leaders around the first corner... the director really made a mess of the whole race
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 11:44 AM   #9
NSX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to NSX Send a message via AIM to NSX Send a message via MSN to NSX Send a message via Yahoo to NSX
hahaa
TSN in Canada is amazing

NSX is offline   Reply With Quote