Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 10:16 AM   #1
Luis_911
AF Newbie

Smile Hi! Will you make me some room?

Hi!
I’m new in this forum. I found you searching the web looking for american muscle cars and I think I’m here to stay.

I’m from Spain and it’s funny how you see classic cars. In Spain (this is where I am) classic cars are quite different. While you are talking about 70’s popular +200HP cars, here we had small 75HP propulsion cars, light 850 kg spyders...

I’ll use my first threat to show you a different car. Most of you may never have heard about it, but in Spain it meant so much, for it appeared in the last years of the 70’s, when we started a very fast trip to the democratic “real first world”

The Seat 124 is a popular classic, there was one version called “La Loca” or in English, “The crazy one” (female). The 124 was a 4 in line rear propulsion car with 4 speed manual gearshift. It’s still funnny to drive today thanks to the narrow wheels and its nerve. I’ll show you one photo:

It says “Don’t fall in love with me, I'm just a car. Fall in love with my performance” “My name is Seat 124”

Today in Spain the 124 Sport is a valuable desired coupe. It has two variants with 1600 and 1800 cc (98 and 110 ci), where the 1600 is a rare one.

Another photo:

124 Sport 1600 in action

Maybe another day I can explain its “joint venture” with Fiat, which generated several models such as Seat 600, 124 itself, 132...

Well, I expect I didn’t annoy you with this story! I hope you find it curious!

Regards
Luis_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 05:24 PM   #2
Condor
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Condor
Re: Hi! Will you make me some room?

It's a good story. I like old small cars, too. Lots of people do, just maybe not on this forum as much.
current ride: 93 325IS black on black with good radio only option
Condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 10:17 AM   #3
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Hi! Will you make me some room?

Welcome to the forum.
It seems in North America there was the reputation that small cars are cheap or boring, purchased out of necessity over preference. This was the attitude from the turn of the century up to the 70's, and its still prevelent in classic car interests. Everyone wants the performance or luxury cars; the enthusiast for the smaller cars, (with some exceptions, such as the Model T) are few and far between.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 05:21 PM   #4
tigermiata
AF Enthusiast

Hi, and welcome. Didn't know that there was a SEAT 124 coupe, just the FIAT one.

Usually, when I think of classic cars from Spain, Hispano-Suiza and Pegaso come to mind.

I learn something new every day.

Well, my wife's ex-boyfriend had a 124 coupe, and he used to belong to the same sports-car club as I. One evening, we were all in the university's parking garage after a club meeting, and I sat on the 124's decklid; I didn't notice that he was in the car and preparing to leave. He took off, and drove round and round the garage's spiral as fast as possible -- my books went flying, and the only reason I didn't follow was a death grip on the Citizen's Band Radio antenna bolted to the leading edge of the decklid; my legs swung wide at each 180-degree turn. He had to stop at the bottom, and I jumped off and ran up beside the car. He was surprised to see me there instead of back at the top, not knowing I had ridden on the back of his car. Understandably, he was upset that the damage, where the front of the decklid was peeled back from the strain...
2005 Acura RSX Type S
tigermiata is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars