Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 03:49 PM   #1
nobody
AF Newbie

Transmission

When I'm drving, my car (auto) tends to jerk forward as if I slammed on the gas. A friend told me most likely my transmission is done for. Anybody agree with him or am I in for a relieving surprise? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 05:51 PM   #2
texan
Writer Mod

If it does this during shifting, yes the tranny needs a rebuild. Look to be spending around $1200 total, depending upon the shape it's in (they have to at least partially tear it down to see).
Old 02-24-2002, 09:33 PM   #3
Seabass
AF Newbie

Does it flare out when it does this jerking? What kind of car is it? If it's lost in "nowhere land" and the RPM's flare up then it's probably the transmission or atleast a transmission component. The first thing you want to do is check the level and condition of your fluid if possible. If it's milky or burnt or pretty much anything other than red you may simply want to change your tranny fluid. Adding a tranny cooler is a good thing too at this point. If you do require a rebuild have then install a transmission cooler also. If you mentioned what kind of car/transmission then you can possibly get more help.

C
Seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 03:32 PM   #4
nobody
AF Newbie

It's a 91 Dodge Shadow. The jerking doesnt happen too often. When I press the gas, I get that kick and then the car begins to accelerate to its proper speed. It doesnt seem too rough, but I know its not normal. I'm not sure if it happens during shifting though...

I'll check the fluids tonight. Thanks for your help.
nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 07:30 PM   #5
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Your bands couls be slipping, they would just need to be tightened if that were the case. It wouldn't cost too much to do that. Then again it may need a rebuild as well.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 05:04 PM   #6
transman
AF Newbie

need a little help here is it a slip-jerk type feeling, or just a bad mount?
does the rpm's increase then it grabs, if so check the fluid level first. if your in the dc area we have free transmission checks.
transman:smoker2:
transman is offline   Reply With Quote