Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 03:45 AM   #1
BELLJ1
AF Newbie

Running in

This has probably been asked a thousand times before,but do you need to run in a new BMW.
I am supposed to be taking delivery on tuesday, of a new 330ci, and although it isnt my first new car,it IS the first new one thats been worth talking about!
Your thoughts on this subject would be helpfull, though i think that, whatever you say, i will find it hard not to thrash it from day one!
BELLJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 10:19 PM   #2
flyingtoaster
AF Newbie

Nothing specific to do, just follow the guidelines in the owner's manual.

Congratulations, enjoy it.
flyingtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 05:58 AM   #3
BELLJ1
AF Newbie

Read the manual !!
Do people really do that?
Well, i suppose there's a first time for everything!
Getting quite excited now,the car is due today at any time.
Old 02-18-2002, 07:47 AM   #4
Baptizer
AF Newbie

Mind sharing a ballpark figure as to how much the car cost?
Baptizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 08:17 AM   #5
BELLJ1
AF Newbie

hello Baptizer,
i dont mind at all, i ordered the 330ci sport (uk spec.) with options of
Napa leather,6 cd multichanger with minidisc head unit ,centre armrest and a 3rd rear headrest with seatbelt and the price was £ 30985.00 ( inc.vat).I'm a bit nervous about the colour though, i ordered it in metallic oxford green,with beige leather.In the 6 months since i ordered, i havent seen a single car on the road in that colour,and am wondering if that is a bad sign.Hey ho,i guess i will find out the hard way.
Old 02-18-2002, 01:46 PM   #6
Baptizer
AF Newbie

Hello..
thanks for sharing m8. Definitely sounds like a beautiful car! I really wouldnt sweat it! I am sooo soo interested in getting either a Lexus GS300 or a BMW 330CI but itll all come down to price. A dealership here in the DC area sells the GS300 for around 37k(with sports pack, originally 43k) when sept/oct/nov rolls around...thats a pretty good deal.
Honestly, I went to the BMW website and built my own 330CI. With the premium pack it was like 40k-42k(with a few other minor options). Basically, i am wondering what type of deal i would get if waited until sept/oct/nov. If i can get it down, i would definitely go for the bmw but i am just not sure how much they will take the price down......
Plus, all the BMW options confuse me(the lexus pretty much packages things into two categories...)....
SIGH....
Old 02-18-2002, 01:58 PM   #7
UltimateBMW
AF Newbie

Well, i bought my 330ci used. It was a 2001 with 9k miles on it. I got it for $34K. It is perfect. Though most used cars hold their value very well, i guess i found a good one. But used cars will drop the price by acouple of thou, or at least should.
UltimateBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 11:08 PM   #8
flyingtoaster
AF Newbie

Baptizer -- I would highly suggest your drop by Passport BMW and ask for Joern Esser.
flyingtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 02:04 AM   #9
BELLJ1
AF Newbie

i don't know what its like in the States,but in England its quite hard to even get the dealers to take you seriously. The salesmen take a look at you when you walk in to the showroom and immediately take a decision on whether or not they think you can afford to buy.If,as in my case, you walk in and are not suitably attired then you might as well forget having a sensible chat about prices, but even if you are, in this country you would be hard pressed to get a free set of car mats, let alone a pound off the list price.This country is like a car manufacturers promised land though,so it would be interesting to hear what sort of discounts you chaps in the states get.
Old 02-19-2002, 07:56 AM   #10
Baptizer
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info guys...
Honestly, i am 'guessing' it wont be hard for them to take me serious, considering the area it is down here in DC. A lot of high-salaried young poeple ...and well, its a pretty high market down here when it comes to salaries. But you might be right.......maybe they wont take me serious....i am putting a large down payment, hopefully that will express MY seriousness though....
But i dont know......
Old 02-19-2002, 08:07 AM   #11
BELLJ1
AF Newbie

i would imagine that a large deposit is enough to focus the mind,WHEREVER you live!!
Old 02-19-2002, 09:16 AM   #12
Baptizer
AF Newbie

hehehe...
Thats good to hear. Personally, i am saving up as we speak and hope to have around 15k for a down payment(wishful thinking? quite possibily, but let me dream!! hehe). I would really love to get a good deal..........but i have a feeling i might have to opt for the lexus gs300(i am struck between the two and honestly, i like them both equally for different reasons).
Old 02-19-2002, 08:35 PM   #13
pod13
AF Newbie

I just bought a brand new 330Ci in the DC area for about $2000 over invoice. I'd imagine if you drove a hard bargain you could get one for around $1500 over... even in this area. (Everyone here seems to drive a BMW)

Regarding sales advisors taking you seriously... I once spent about two hours on a BMW lot just looking at all the cars they had and not once was I approached. Maybe they are told to wait till you ask to see an advisor, maybe I look too young/poor to afford a BMW, I don't know. Make an appointment before you go to the lot is my advice.

(For a comparison: Last time I was at a Honda dealership, there was a sales guy waiting outside my car before I could even get out.)

I bought from BMW of Sterling. Highly recommended. They have A LOT of cars on site... even some M3s. They are also one of the few dealerships getting the new Mini.
pod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 10:47 PM   #14
JetBlack330Ci
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by BELLJ1
Read the manual !!
Do people really do that?
Well, i suppose there's a first time for everything!
Getting quite excited now,the car is due today at any time.
I did in fact I still have not read all of it yet, still reading parts of it. My manual recommends that I avoid rpms above 4500, avoid speeds above 100mph and also should avoid WOT. untill 1200 miles. I have 700miles and I have not hit above 4000rpm and fastest I have driven is 90mph (I know I could not resist )
Old 02-20-2002, 02:09 AM   #15
BELLJ1
AF Newbie

i admire your self control,i've had the car now for about 15 hrs(6 of which were wasted on sleeping!) and have already stumbled in to the red on the rev counter.
What an awesome car, it makes me wonder how the M3 could be better, and if it is, i better start saving up!!!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series