Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 07:02 PM   #1
acre44
AF Newbie

Unhappy 2002 Bravada AWD Problem

Well got the dreaded call today from the stealership. My 2002 Bravada AWD was not working, found out the hard way in the first snow of 9 inches. I never had any AWD/Service Engine Lights and no codes were stored. The dealership found out the front driveshaft is spinning so the transfer case is fine. Seems the front axle has an internal problem. At this point they think it is the clutches in the front axle or possibly the splines in there but it definitely is an internal problem. To diagnose it totally they need to take out the front axle and splatter the pumpkin to see the internals which they have told me is specific to Bravada AWD's only. They said anywhere from $500 to $2000. This vehicle has a whole 46,000 miles on it and just ran out of warranty in April 2005. In April it was in for a transmission repair because the sun shell spline had tore off and went through the rear gear set, luckily right before warranty ran out. I asked if the tranny problem was related to the awd problem but they said NO. I called GM with hopes of getting some help with the cost but of course they won't do anything until the diagnosis. I have told anyone who will listen that this is NOT a normal problem and it should not have worn out this quickly unless it was defective. Anyone have any ideas or similar problems?

Thank you in advance for any replies.
acre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:39 AM   #2
gosling53
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: 2002 Bravada AWD Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by acre44
Well got the dreaded call today from the stealership. My 2002 Bravada AWD was not working, found out the hard way in the first snow of 9 inches. I never had any AWD/Service Engine Lights and no codes were stored. The dealership found out the front driveshaft is spinning so the transfer case is fine. Seems the front axle has an internal problem. At this point they think it is the clutches in the front axle or possibly the splines in there but it definitely is an internal problem. To diagnose it totally they need to take out the front axle and splatter the pumpkin to see the internals which they have told me is specific to Bravada AWD's only. They said anywhere from $500 to $2000. This vehicle has a whole 46,000 miles on it and just ran out of warranty in April 2005. In April it was in for a transmission repair because the sun shell spline had tore off and went through the rear gear set, luckily right before warranty ran out. I asked if the tranny problem was related to the awd problem but they said NO. I called GM with hopes of getting some help with the cost but of course they won't do anything until the diagnosis. I have told anyone who will listen that this is NOT a normal problem and it should not have worn out this quickly unless it was defective. Anyone have any ideas or similar problems?

Thank you in advance for any replies.
This sounds like the problem we are having. The mechanic (not with a dealer & has not charged for his failure to find) is out of ideas and suggested I go to Mr Goodwrench. As with your Bravada, no idiot light came on but there is no AWD. The front does not have drive.

Have you got any new details or answers on your Olds?

A side note, this past summer on wet pavement my wife was almost sent into the ditch when the back of the car kicked over. First idea was that a cord broke in the tire. The tire was Okay and it did not happen after that, but that is when we noticed that it was not grabing on wet sloped intresections, spinning as she started out then kicking in. Now I'm thinking this may have been the above problem.

This has been the only problem we have had with the '02 Bravada with only 42,000 miles.
gosling53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 09:47 AM   #3
acre44
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2002 Bravada AWD Problem

Are you sure that you don't have a transfer case issue? They found that my front axle coming out of my transfer case was spinning BUT the front wheels were not turning which indicated the front axle was the issue. The total bill out the door was $873. They removed the front axle and disassembled. The right front axle spline, right sleeve drive axle and cluster splines had worn out and were spinning. They replaced the right front axle shaft, sleeve, front axle cluster and 2 axle seals. I had an extended warranty that cover some but I still ended up paying $300.00. I had a 1997 Bravada AWD that ran excellent and never had a majory issue. I ran that thing to 120,000 before getting this 2002 because I figured it would be just as good. This major repair coupled with the tranny issue has me wondering about GM products in general. However, I am thinking that this will probably be my last AWD, I would rather have the buttons to put it in 4-HI when I want to instead of waiting for the slip and fishtail until it kicks in. I just cannot figure out how that front axle got stripped out unless one of the sensors or the scroll motor on the transfer case gave the wrong signal or the tranny issue caused it. I called GM Customer service with no results and I talked to the stealership with no results. If you don't have an extended warranty good luck on getting any help with paying for it.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.
acre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 09:27 PM   #4
boldsmobile
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 2002 Bravada AWD Problem

Sometimes i wonder how i have 185k on my 1998. I heard lots of Bravada horror stories before i got this one but just had to have it. Dont want to jinx myself (insert sound of knocking on wood) but i have only had to replace a sensor and the transfer case enage motor to keep the awd going.

I have no plans to get rid of it and hope it will rust before it breaks down!

1998 Bravada
1996 Aurora
1971 Cutlass
boldsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 10:48 PM   #5
ericn1300
AF Premium User

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2002 Bravada AWD Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldsmobile
Sometimes i wonder how i have 185k on my 1998. I heard lots of Bravada horror stories before i got this one but just had to have it. Dont want to jinx myself (insert sound of knocking on wood) but i have only had to replace a sensor and the transfer case enage motor to keep the awd going.

I have no plans to get rid of it and hope it will rust before it breaks down!

to quote a Neil Young song "It's better to burn out than to rust out". I just hit 185k on my 92 on my last trip. no rust yet and i hope i don't burn it out soon.
ericn1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
OnaRhea
AF Newbie

Angry Re: 2002 Bravada AWD Problem

I bought my 02 bravada four years ago and since then I have put in at least 4000$ to fix this hunk of junk! I also have a problem with the AWD, the back tires are the only ones moving, is this a serious problem or can i leave it like this? I have had problems with the rotors, breaks, battery cables, had to replace the fuel pump twice, the cruise sometimes doesn't want to work, the overhead lights don't work, the air compressor sometimes doesn't want to work, the front headlight completely burnt out and I had to replace the entire unit and NOW there is a misfire in the third cylinder!! I can't drive it till I get it fixed or the engine will get all screwed up even more! I don't know what to do with this car! I have considered trading it in but I have put so much money into it that it makes me sick thinking I would only get 3000-4000$ for it!! I feel yalls pain! Is there anything else I should know about this car that will most likely break down soon?!?! It has to end and stop breaking down sometime right?
OnaRhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Re: 2002 Bravada AWD Problem

Didn't the Trailblazers have alot of front differential problems when they first hit the road?
I thought yours had more miles Eric. Mine has 191k.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #8
ericn1300
AF Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stewart View Post
Didn't the Trailblazers have alot of front differential problems when they first hit the road?
I thought yours had more miles Eric. Mine has 191k.
That post was 4 years 11 months ago, mine now has almost 230k. Just this summer I replaced the ball joints, tie rod ends and idler arm again. This time I bought genuine Moog parts, don't go with the chain store valu brand, just a waste of time and money if your going to keep the rig.

I can't imagine putting over $4000 into it, but I do almost all the work myself. Get ahead of the maintenance, check for service bulletins and do it yourself on repairs when you can. I figure about $250 a year in repairs, on average, since I bought it and that includes a tranny rebuild.

Still running strong, the girls fight over who gets it in the winter. Wish I could find another one but they seem to be rare and I wont settle for a Blazer.
ericn1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Oh, wow I missed that Eric...5 year old post huh?

Hey OnaRhea, you need to start a new thread insteada lettin' me look
like the poor old fool that I am.
Does that '02 engine have a coil on each cylinder or a distributor?
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada