Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Infiniti > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #1
TDJ1952
AF Newbie

Is road salt still a concern with newer cars?

Looking at used 2008 Infiniti M35's with very low (10k) miles but all are from northern states (ND, WY, MI, MT). I live in the south. Am concerned about rust from salted highways & streets and possible future rust problems and salt corrosion. Anyone have any experience with Infiniti and rust from winter driving? Is this car prone to rust? Should I stay avoid buying one that spent a winter or two in snow country?
TDJ1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
Gojirr
AF Newbie

Re: Is road salt still a concern with newer cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDJ1952 View Post
Looking at used 2008 Infiniti M35's with very low (10k) miles but all are from northern states (ND, WY, MI, MT). I live in the south. Am concerned about rust from salted highways & streets and possible future rust problems and salt corrosion. Anyone have any experience with Infiniti and rust from winter driving? Is this car prone to rust? Should I stay avoid buying one that spent a winter or two in snow country?
I am presently living in the midwest. The winters are vicious and salt is a reality that comes with it.
Salt is corrosive to most metals.
Infiniti is a safe bet. Their paint is superior in many ways. My FX has a 80,000 mile rust through warranty on it.
It's been through a couple of winters with no ill effects.
I don't let salt sit on the car. At the beginning of winter I lay a thick coat of APC (acrylic paint conditioner) on the paint and wheels.
This creates a barrier against both moisture and salt. On days where the weather is permitting I wash it down with clear water to remove the salt and it looks fine, with no evidence of salt corrosion. The conditioning lasts for months.
I re-condition it again near the end of winter.
Gojirr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
ErickTR
AF Newbie

Re: Is road salt still a concern with newer cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDJ1952 View Post
Rust is not a big problem with Infiniti.
Ask the dealer to put the car up on the rack so you can look under it.
That will give you a true reading on the cars rust factor.
Infiniti uses an acrylic paint, which is above average. Just keep the paint clean and you should not have any problem.
Do not use cream or paste wax on your paint no matter what these detail fanatics say. Your cars paint will look better longer if it is not subject to the friction that comes with applying, drying, buffing and stripping wax.
ErickTR is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
infiniti , rust , salt corrosion
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Infiniti > General Discussion