Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b
Question Engine size, IDs

What's going on everyone? First time ever posting in this section. Long time on the import scene, parting out my project Talon to get away from cars for awhile, and then I end up finding a 1975 Monte Carlo with 29,000 miles on it, and got it for cheap.

I've been looking up the engine code trying to find out what it actually is. I know it's a short block, but that's about it. This is what is off the block.

T0304CTX
I understand the location, build month/day, and that it's a car, but what's the TX?

The ID, (still under junk) looks like: GM 353817, although it may be wrong.

Here a pic of it.

Thanks guys!

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: Engine size, IDs

That block is a 400 (small block Chevy). I have one here in the hone right now, same casting number. The date "code" on this one makes it a '74 model (J1673).

A "short block" is any engine assembly without a cylinder head bolted to it. It can be a "small block" V8 (what you're probably refering to), or any other kind of engine. An engine with heads bolted to it is called a "long block", and one with carb, ignition, oil pan, etc. is called "complete". These are "industry" terms.

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. PBody View Post
That block is a 400 (small block Chevy). I have one here in the hone right now, same casting number. The date "code" on this one makes it a '74 model (J1673).

A "short block" is any engine assembly without a cylinder head bolted to it. It can be a "small block" V8 (what you're probably refering to), or any other kind of engine. An engine with heads bolted to it is called a "long block", and one with carb, ignition, oil pan, etc. is called "complete". These are "industry" terms.

Jim
Awesome thank you for the quick response.

Small block was totally what I had meant. Sorry about that. I see the stock hp rating is ~170 for these. Looking forward to finishing this all up. Used to all electronic control ignition and fuel, using stand alone ECUs and controllers. Really excited about this one. The guy I had bought this from was doing a build and had a ton of parts, such as new heads, Hurricane intake, Demon 4 bbl carb, cam... should be nice when altogether.

Forgot to ask, is there an online reference for these motors? Like a free Haynes manual? I have the books, but like to have a digital copy whenever possible.
Also, what is the stock compression ratio listed on this block?
Thanks

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP

Last edited by david-b; 09-20-2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Left out question
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

The HP rating is "SAE Net", which means how much power is at the tailshaft of the trans, "in gear", with all accessories operating. The 170 rating is probably about 250 "flywheel" or gross brake HP.

As far as I recall, compression ratio is about 8.5:1 with "dish" pistons and 9:1 with flat tops. The only way to be certain is to actually measure the chamber volume and "do the math".

Your "list" contains some very "suspect" parts. Hurricane is a Chinese "knock off" of Holley Street Dominator, which is a cheap copy of the old Edelbrock Torker (1). It will marginally improve performance. The "Demon" carb is another. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, and BG offerings are "genuiine imitation Holleys". We've had far more negative reports on them than positive.

I realize you already have some of this., I just wanted to make sure you have reasonable expectations when you're "done". What heads? (brand and specs)

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical