Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #31
Lorendac
AF Newbie

Just curious (and hopeful)

That the ABS Control Module damage is covered under this recall. Husband and I just took my van in today because I'd been having ABS issues (when car starts, ABS are engaged for several minutes before they turn off and ABS light appears) and had been randomly noticing a burning smell.

Got a call back from the service dept saying we needed to have our ABS control module replaced. They didn't mention this recall at all, I just happened to stumble across it while researching.

Husband plans on mentioning this to the service dept tomorrow, but I was just curious whether this issue can cause the ABS module to fail?
Lorendac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #32
serge_saati
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to serge_saati Send a message via Yahoo to serge_saati Send a message via Skype™ to serge_saati
Re: Recall

No, the brake pressure switch recall cannot cause the ABS module to fail, but it can make it stop working.

But only if BOTH your cruise control AND ABS stop working at same time, it's related to this recall.

Otherwise, it's no related issue.
2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 3.1L OHV (sold)
2004 Hyundai Accent GS 1.6L DOHC manual (sold)
1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme S 3.1L OHV (sold)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor 4.6L SOHC (sold)

A Windstar without having the check engine light is not a real Windstar.

serge_saati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #33
eroosa
AF Newbie

Here is a link that I found very helpful in regards to this matter:
http://www.fordwindstarrecall.info/#Problem1

I have a 2002 Windstar that had the harness recall performed, yet now I am still getting the ABS/Brake lights on most of the time. The problem appears to the the ECU with a $852.00 estimated cost. There is a link to report this issue/defect to the proper authorities.

Here is the link to report the problem: NHTSA.GOV. (National Highway Transportation Safety Administration). Use this link. or call 1-800-327-4326.

Hope this helps. I just reported the issue this morning.
eroosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #34
Retropicker
AF Newbie

I had the #10 fuse blow and had the harness/switch replaced in my 2001. After 3 fuses blowing I disconnected the switch, the fuse now doesn't blow, I now have gauges and AC in th 100 degree weather.
Retropicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #35
serge_saati
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to serge_saati Send a message via Yahoo to serge_saati Send a message via Skype™ to serge_saati

There will be another recall for Windstar 1998-2003 models for rear axle break issue.
http://www.thecarconnection.com/mart...for-rust-issue
2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 3.1L OHV (sold)
2004 Hyundai Accent GS 1.6L DOHC manual (sold)
1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme S 3.1L OHV (sold)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor 4.6L SOHC (sold)

A Windstar without having the check engine light is not a real Windstar.

serge_saati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:04 AM   #36
livewiregnat
AF Newbie

1. NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 11V030000
Recall Date:
2011-01-26

Summary:
FORD IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 1999-2003 WINDSTAR VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD IN OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, KENTUCKY, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, UTAH, VERMONT, WEST VIRGINIA, AND WISCONSIN. A SEPARATION OF A FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM REAR ATTACHING BRACKET MAY RESULT IN A LOWER CONTROL ARM SEPARATION. A SEPARATION OF BOTH FRONT SUBFRAME REAR BODY MOUNTS MAY RESULT IN SEPARATION OF THE STEERING INTERMEDIATE SHAFT.

Consequences:
THIS COULD RESULT IN REDUCED STEERING CONTROL INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT BOTH FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM REAR ATTACHING BRACKETS, AND BOTH BODY MOUNT ATTACHMENTS AT THE REAR OF THE FRONT SUBFRAME, AND MAKE THE NECESSARY REPAIRS FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE FEBRUARY 14, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FORD AT 1-866-436-7332.

Component Affected:
STRUCTURE: FRAME AND MEMBERS:UNDERBODY SHIELDS

Potential Cars Affected:

Notes:
FORD MOTOR COMPANY
livewiregnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:48 PM   #37
Bigbuckeye
AF Newbie

I can honestly say that Ford's handling of this recall has been absolutely dismal... and if I am a shareholder, I would be out for blood.

We turned in our Windstar around Halloween... and just received it back this week..

Meanwhile they paid $4600 to Enterprise for our rental... then I am guesstimating 1800 for the axle repair... and then they had to fix all the pieces parts from sitting for so long...

Why not just make everyone a flat offer and save yourself the headaches Ford?
Bigbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #38
hytwr1
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbuckeye View Post
I can honestly say that Ford's handling of this recall has been absolutely dismal... and if I am a shareholder, I would be out for blood.

We turned in our Windstar around Halloween... and just received it back this week..

Meanwhile they paid $4600 to Enterprise for our rental... then I am guesstimating 1800 for the axle repair... and then they had to fix all the pieces parts from sitting for so long...

Why not just make everyone a flat offer and save yourself the headaches Ford?
They made us a buy out offer that is 150% of book...which is nice and will be put toward another vehicle, but they are only giving $300 for a rental! We are figuring 4-6 weeks for the settlement to arrive. So what do we do for a month and a half Ford?
hytwr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:56 PM   #39
David Wiebe
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakzilla69 View Post
Let it never be said that my procrastination didn't yield positive results.
Well said - and I echo his chorus!

I need to get this done soon now I guess.
David Wiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:05 AM   #40
David Wiebe
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge_saati View Post
A Windstar without the check engine light is not a real Windstar.
LMAO!! I just cleared my Check engine light again... My Cousin drives ford too and he said that on a ford the engine light means that you have an engine - it's supposed to be on!!
LOL!!
David Wiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #41
MrCreosote
AF Regular

My 2000 was recalled for Rear Axle and Front Cross Member and I nearly rolled it because they did not tighten the main suspension bolt on the RHS lower trailing arm on the rear axle.

The bolt fell out making the RHS of the rear axle UNCONNECTED TO THE FRAME!

It was very interesting going over dips and applying any brakes on LH turns was a pure adrenaline rush.

I called the Ford service department and they said "bring it in an we'll take a look at it." I asked for a manager and clearly told him the RHS of the rear axle was "flapping in the breeze" and wouldn't it be safer to send a mechanic with a bolt and a floor jack to install it where the van sat? There could not have cared less - it was like I was complaining because someone left a smudge on the door after a service call.

What complete IDIOTS.

And I don't even want to get into the butcher job the front crossmember was. First the engineering design is something you would expect from a department run by Dr. Seuss. Now the van tracks to the right and there are big nasty banging noises like something is loose in the front suspension.

Maybe its ready to fall out.

Oh, I was able to drive it to Ford since I am used to doing stuff like that. They fixed it and never wrote any paperwork on it. Again, they were almost uninterested when I showed up.

Maybe they are instructed by their Legal Department to act all mellow when they screw up and expose themselves to a potential lawsuit.

Anyhow, that's my story(!)

Regards,
Tom
MrCreosote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #42
Windstartled
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCreosote View Post
What complete IDIOTS.

And I don't even want to get into the butcher job the front crossmember was. First the engineering design is something you would expect from a department run by Dr. Seuss. Now the van tracks to the right and there are big nasty banging noises like something is loose in the front suspension.

Maybe its ready to fall out.

Oh, I was able to drive it to Ford since I am used to doing stuff like that. They fixed it and never wrote any paperwork on it. Again, they were almost uninterested when I showed up.

Maybe they are instructed by their Legal Department to act all mellow when they screw up and expose themselves to a potential lawsuit.

Anyhow, that's my story(!)
From what I heard this varies widely from one dealership to the next. After I had the rear axle done (sort of, since there was nothing wrong with it) Ford kept sending me letters about the front subframe recall but my subframe looked fine so I ignored them, but after two years and 8 letters or so I gave in and brought it in last Fall. They did not have required parts in stock so they kept the van for 13 days instead of overnight as expected but no biggie, in the meantime I was driving an Explorer from Enterprise, courtesy of Ford. I had asked for a vehicle with same cargo capacity and on that particular day Enterprise was out of Caravans so they said the alternative was "standard SUV", fine with me. BTW the Explorer does not have the same cargo capacity as the Windstar, it's big outside but cramped inside. It has very obtrusive wheel wells and cabin height from floor to ceiling is less than the Windstar, and the interior cab length is also quite shorter. Only a full-size SUV would approach the cargo space of a stretched minivan like the Windstar but there's no cost efficiency there. I was impressed with the Explorer's extra-smooth transmission and the impressive amount of power it extracts from the 3.5 engine however, all the while getting better mileage. But on the other hand the ride is a little 'dry' (as in truck-like hard and firm) and it's an expensive vehicle. But I digress.

Anyway after I picked up the van it handled a lot worse than before and shortly after both ball joints were shot although I had installed new Mevotech control arms a few months prior. I brought it back without warning and politely explained the situation. A senior tech drove it for a few miles and told his boss something was definitively not right. To my surprise they put it on a lift immediately and the guy who had driven it briefly examined the main bolts and said the dampers (donuts) were not the right ones, they were for a different model altogether and were both too thick and too soft, which caused the subframe to rock and shift and cause damage to parts attached to it. They offered to replace the whole subframe with a new one and put in new control arms free of charge, but couldn't do it until January.

They also threw in a free alignment but admitted they always do it for that recall anyway. Suits me fine, dealerships have a lower wheel alignment failure rate than most shops according to many credible investigation reports from consumer associations. Since I don't use the van in winter I said okay but let's do the recall in May or June and, jokingly I added "and use the dampers from the box this time", which made them laugh. So June it will be. They could not or would not explain why the wrong parts were used but otherwise I received good service, with friendly and respectful attitude towards me. I don't know if it's a factor but this dealership is owned by a woman and is the second-highest rated Ford dealership in Canada for consumer satisfaction. The highest rated is also owned by a woman.

The van is drivable but it's not pleasant, steering is somewhat erratic especially on bumpy springtime roads and the front end rattles a lot at the slightest imperfection and fuel economy has degraded. We'll see to what degree this is due to the botched job.
1995 BMW 540i 4.0L V8 - Weirdest car ever owned
Windstartled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #43
Mustang_Driver
AF Regular

Sorry to bring a dead topic back to life but it seems that the website posted above is no longer working and well it would have been nice to at least have a look at it. i just bought a 2001 windstar sport and the dreaded abs light comes on and off intermittently and if this was a recall FORD says it wasn't a recall item in canada and that i am left to pay for the repair to the tune of 1500.00 and i figure the van's not worth the cost as i can replace it for that as i currently have 2 and was wondering if the abs modules were interchangeable

fordwindstarrecall.com
Old 09-29-2015, 12:16 PM   #44
phil-l
AF Enthusiast

The recall has long since expired.

But there are options out there.

If you can remove the electronic portion of the ABS module from the van, there are services out there that can repair the module. Search eBay for "Windstar ABS repair" for examples. They are currently asking upwards of $100 for this service (and some offer it for much less).

Note that you can drive the van without the ABS electronics in place (of course, the ABS won't work). The hydraulic portion is still intact. Separating the electronic portion from the hydraulic portion - without removing the whole unit - will be difficult if there's a lot of corrosion on the underside of the van. The ABS unit is on the bottom of the van, basically below the driver's seat. The electronic portion is attached to the hydraulic portion with 6 steel bolts - that are threaded into the hydraulic unit's aluminum structure. This automatically creates the potential for corrosion that can make the fasteners difficult to remove without destroying them.

I suspect modules may be interchangeable - but don't know about specific model year limitations, etc.
phil-l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:20 AM   #45
parkerb
AF Regular

parkerb is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar