Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Renault > Scénic/Scénic RX4
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 10:05 AM   #1
ANNEM
AF Newbie

Unhappy immobiliser wont respond to key fob

My Scenic has stopped responding to my key.. the red light still comes on, on the key, but the blip does not happen when i point the key at the imobiliser so the immobiliser stays on and I cannot start the car, any ideas ??
ANNEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 05:58 PM   #2
realkinguk
AF Newbie

Re: immobiliser wont respond to key fob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNEM
My Scenic has stopped responding to my key.. the red light still comes on, on the key, but the blip does not happen when i point the key at the imobiliser so the immobiliser stays on and I cannot start the car, any ideas ??

this my help...
take your V5 doc's and a form of ID to your Renault Dealer.
and ask them for the 4 digit immobiliser bypass code
(They will not be happy you know about it, 2 dealers by me refused to acknowledge its existence)
it should cost around £15.Turn on the ignition and the immobiliser light will come on,
press the accelerator down and the light should go off.
While keeping the pedal down press the windscreen washer button on the end of the stalk(trust me on this)
and you should see the immobiliser light come on on the dash.
Press it for the corresponding number on the first digit of the code renault
gave you e.g.if first digit 2 press twice.
Lift the accelerator pedal press it back down and repeat for digit 2 of the code and so on.
I have heard that some models need to press the central locking button instead of the washer button

took 2 days to find this.pass it on
realkinguk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:55 AM   #3
disgruntled scenic
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkinguk
this my help...
take your V5 doc's and a form of ID to your Renault Dealer.
and ask them for the 4 digit immobiliser bypass code
(They will not be happy you know about it, 2 dealers by me refused to acknowledge its existence)
it should cost around £15.Turn on the ignition and the immobiliser light will come on,
press the accelerator down and the light should go off.
While keeping the pedal down press the windscreen washer button on the end of the stalk(trust me on this)
and you should see the immobiliser light come on on the dash.
Press it for the corresponding number on the first digit of the code renault
gave you e.g.if first digit 2 press twice.
Lift the accelerator pedal press it back down and repeat for digit 2 of the code and so on.
I have heard that some models need to press the central locking button instead of the washer button

took 2 days to find this.pass it on
Should I turn around three times and spit before or after washing the windscreen?
disgruntled scenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
whelan25
AF Newbie

I have this problem at the minute my car needed the central locking method but the key fob still does turn the immobiliser off or open or close the car by central locking but I can start the car! Is there anyway to get the key fob working again so I don't have to do this routine which the central locking button while im sat in the car looking a fool! P.s Renault really don't like giving this out but I managed to get it for nothing eventually!
whelan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 03:47 AM   #5
disgruntled scenic
AF Newbie

I recently bought two new key fobs because the central locking immobiliser was not working. Ne keys arrived after three weeks but there was still an intermittent problem. I fiddled about with the reciever by the mirror, but failed to access its inner workings...oddly, I ahvent had a problem since! I wish I knew what I had done to change it!.
Seems its a reciever issue not a transmitter issue. Just make sure you got new batts in the transmitter and renault can check the keys to se if theres any output from it. If there is dont waste £200 on fobs like I did.
My immobiliser light does not go off if i depress the accelerator.
disgruntled scenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:15 PM   #6
lagunav6
AF Newbie

Hi there, I work for Renault and have been interested by the uproar caused by the immobiliser systems. I can however understand frustration caused when the key no longer works.

There are two main types of immobiliser sytem, the infrared which can be identified by the small glass ball at the base of the black part of the key and the ultrasonic or radio type system. These differ in two ways. The first infrared system relies on the button on the key being pressed to deactivate the imobiliser. The second has a seperate chip and a decoder ring around the ignition barrell and even if the key does not operate the central locking should have no adverse effect on the car starting.

If you have the first system which is the earlier of the two and was phased out around 1998 a good way to check if the key is still operational (even if the red light comes on) is to point the key at a mobile phone camera and you should be able to see blue light coming from the glass ball on the key. If there is no light then the key is usually unsalvageable and would require replacement. If there is light coming out of the key yet it does not start the car it is most likely that the key and the car have gone 'out of sync' and will need to be 're-phased'. On anything other than a megane or scenic it requires the Renault Diagnostic computer to be connected to the vehicle before the key can be rephased.

Over-riding the imobiliser is possible but you will need the imobiliser code which contary to popular belief is avaliable from Renault dealers (usually about £10+vat). Renault UK have issued a document to dealers that authorise them to pass on this information provided you have shown photo id and the V5 registration document (The code is obtained from the chassis number). For a Laguna you will need to use the pedal and wiper stalk method of code entry and for a megane or scenic the code is entered via the central locking button. Immolbilser codes are not inside the key!! The number on the key together with the chassis number when entered into a crypted Renault database then produce an immobiliser code.

If you have the later radio type key there are no 'cheats' to over-ride the system and a diagnostic routine will be the way to go. You could guess and replace coded ring around the steering lock but these rarely give trouble and are often incorrectly diagnosed as the fault.

There is not a design fault with these systems, perphaps what is more of a problem is that inside your key is delicate circuitry that is unfortunatley often over delicate and anything such as magnets, heat, cold, dropping the key or sitting on it could have an adverse effect on it. As such my advice to you all would be to treat your key like gold dust as in 90% of cases the key is the problem rather than the car itself.

I hope this provides some answers and whilst i'm not strictly defending Renault I hope it provides a view from the other side of the fence. By the way an honest and reputable dealer should not charge you more than half an hour's labour to 're-phase' the key and again if you are replacing the key (which is about £70+vat) the labour charge should not be more than half an hour (definately less then £50inc vat).
lagunav6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:41 PM   #7
pjc1
AF Newbie

Hi - I have a R19 1996 cabby and have a problem with the plip (infra red) not activating/deactivating the immob. This occurred at Asda PFS and I ended up getting the car towed back home. After reading a few forums I went to the local dealer (Sutton Park) and after a bit of an argument they provided a by pass code for a small fee. The car is running now but does not benefit from c/l or immob and I would like to try and get this fixed if poss. The only key I had with the car glows white when tested via digi cam (I also have a couple of used spare plips from ebay - I know these won't work with the car at present though) - any ideas where I could go, to try and get resynch (can the ebay keys be resynched too?) does the fact that I have used the immob bypass code complicate procedures? (I have not needed to reinsert the bypass code since)

regards

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagunav6
Hi there, I work for Renault and have been interested by the uproar caused by the immobiliser systems. I can however understand frustration caused when the key no longer works.

There are two main types of immobiliser sytem, the infrared which can be identified by the small glass ball at the base of the black part of the key and the ultrasonic or radio type system. These differ in two ways. The first infrared system relies on the button on the key being pressed to deactivate the imobiliser. The second has a seperate chip and a decoder ring around the ignition barrell and even if the key does not operate the central locking should have no adverse effect on the car starting.

If you have the first system which is the earlier of the two and was phased out around 1998 a good way to check if the key is still operational (even if the red light comes on) is to point the key at a mobile phone camera and you should be able to see blue light coming from the glass ball on the key. If there is no light then the key is usually unsalvageable and would require replacement. If there is light coming out of the key yet it does not start the car it is most likely that the key and the car have gone 'out of sync' and will need to be 're-phased'. On anything other than a megane or scenic it requires the Renault Diagnostic computer to be connected to the vehicle before the key can be rephased.

Over-riding the imobiliser is possible but you will need the imobiliser code which contary to popular belief is avaliable from Renault dealers (usually about £10+vat). Renault UK have issued a document to dealers that authorise them to pass on this information provided you have shown photo id and the V5 registration document (The code is obtained from the chassis number). For a Laguna you will need to use the pedal and wiper stalk method of code entry and for a megane or scenic the code is entered via the central locking button. Immolbilser codes are not inside the key!! The number on the key together with the chassis number when entered into a crypted Renault database then produce an immobiliser code.

If you have the later radio type key there are no 'cheats' to over-ride the system and a diagnostic routine will be the way to go. You could guess and replace coded ring around the steering lock but these rarely give trouble and are often incorrectly diagnosed as the fault.

There is not a design fault with these systems, perphaps what is more of a problem is that inside your key is delicate circuitry that is unfortunatley often over delicate and anything such as magnets, heat, cold, dropping the key or sitting on it could have an adverse effect on it. As such my advice to you all would be to treat your key like gold dust as in 90% of cases the key is the problem rather than the car itself.

I hope this provides some answers and whilst i'm not strictly defending Renault I hope it provides a view from the other side of the fence. By the way an honest and reputable dealer should not charge you more than half an hour's labour to 're-phase' the key and again if you are replacing the key (which is about £70+vat) the labour charge should not be more than half an hour (definately less then £50inc vat).
pjc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:17 PM   #8
lagunav6
AF Newbie

Hi Paul,

On the 19 you will need the diagnostic computer connected to re-phase the key with the car. You will therefore need to book it in at a dealer, and like I said it should cost less than £50. Over-riding the imobiliser can have an adverse effect on it's operation but you won't know until the dealer attempts to re-phase the key. Worst case is a new decoder and plip keys (about £180 in parts) and about an hours labour to fit. (We have just done this on a 19 cabriolet)

Hope this helps.
lagunav6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:27 PM   #9
miami
AF Newbie

i have a renault laguna 95 . my infrared key has stopped working from a distance.it will only work when your up close to it.tryed cleaning the panel no good can any one help steve
miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:23 AM   #10
traviss
AF Newbie

Hello all..my N REG Renault Laguna has done the same thing,worked fine parked up went to a shop came out pressed the key button and nothing,had to get towed home,i got the code from renault,but they said turn ignition on keep your finger on the central locking button till it slows down the flashing light tried this and no luck...phoned a different reno garage and they said the wiper and pedal way,so need to get this straight... i keep my foot on the accel pedal...turn ignition on....then pull the wiper stalk toward me for each no ie pull 3 tiles release the pedal is no 3??then when the codes in start the car???

any help would be great
traviss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:18 PM   #11
bonedavid
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by traviss
Hello all..my N REG Renault Laguna has done the same thing,worked fine parked up went to a shop came out pressed the key button and nothing,had to get towed home,i got the code from renault,but they said turn ignition on keep your finger on the central locking button till it slows down the flashing light tried this and no luck...phoned a different reno garage and they said the wiper and pedal way,so need to get this straight... i keep my foot on the accel pedal...turn ignition on....then pull the wiper stalk toward me for each no ie pull 3 tiles release the pedal is no 3??then when the codes in start the car???

any help would be great
immobilisers are a problem with all marques and not just renault.

However there have been many posts on this issue in the forums i moderate in the uk,there are some good posts if you do a search but sadly not all the answers yet...this seems to be a never ending saga.

I will have a look see on the forum and see what posts i can dig up and will post the results here.

bonedavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 02:33 AM   #12
traviss
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedavid
immobilisers are a problem with all marques and not just renault.

However there have been many posts on this issue in the forums i moderate in the uk,there are some good posts if you do a search but sadly not all the answers yet...this seems to be a never ending saga.

I will have a look see on the forum and see what posts i can dig up and will post the results here.
When i phoned my local autoelectrician who are regarded as the best in the region his words were if its renault or french for that matter then you are looking at taking it to the dealers and expect a hefty bill,he also went on to say he can disable just about any other immob,as its a french thing!!then he went on to say he gets 100s of phonecalls a year asking the same thing.I have had the car towed to renault,the guy who does all the electrical work down there simply said,that there were lots of ways to imput the code even on the same car/model,he would plug it into there computer and see what one to use,the car is a N reg laguna 2.2D estate,its my workhorse,and i can tell ya this if the bill is gona be anything more than 100 pound to sort it then its getting scrapped,not sure when i'll find out as the guy said hes got 4 immob jobs in that day lol ...went on to say theres gona be a few renos left lying around the country abandond if a few years.
traviss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:58 AM   #13
Progress?
AF Newbie

Thanks to LagunaV6 for the advice (11-20-2006, 04:15 PM message 6) re checking IR key with mobile phone camera. The key that would not work my '99 Megane Scenic immobiliser (first it only worked close up to receiver in car, then stopped altogether in the space of a day or so) shows a blue light same as my 'good' key so I will take a print out of his advice to my nearest Renault dealer and see if I can get the dodgy key rephased.
Progress? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:34 PM   #14
PigPie
AF Newbie

Found this that might help http://renaulthelp.110mb.com/ImmBypass.html
I've not tried it myself.
PigPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:26 AM   #15
hurlbag74
AF Newbie

Hi, Just reading through because believe it or not... I've got a Renault Laguna N reg with a dodgy key fob. Phoned my local dealer who wanted to recode for £35 if that didn't work then a key replacement for £125. The cars only worth £300. Then I found a garage who could supply a code for £15. I thought I'd check out the forums first, where I found this link. http://renaulthelp.110mb.com/ImmBypass.html Click on this, and it takes you to a page where you will find simple instructions and a prog to download, download and run the file, I've checked it for viruses and seems to be safe through AVG virus scan. Basically read the "readme" file which gives you the code "trantir" which you type in when you run the "RenaultImmCode" file, press enter, then you need to find the model type of your car, you will find details of where to find this when you click the http link above, enter this when prompted and then you need the key number, which if you unscrew the cover of your key there is a series of numbers, enter the numbers before the hyphon (eg key # VBB2G56-3N5, enter VBB2G56), type this in when prompted and on pressing enter you will recieve a 4 digit number for your key. However, the http link above advises to use the central locking button to activate this code, this didn't work for me, I used the wiper stalk method: I turned the ignition on, then press down on the accelerator and hold, Immob light goes out then press the button on the end of the wiper stalk the corresponding number of times for the first digit (the immob light should come on when you press the button and go out when you release). release the accelerator pedal and press it back down and repeat for digit 2 and so on. The remote no longer works but the car now starts. It's free, I'm not sure if it works with all models, but it's worth a try, It's just saved me £125 with the dealer.
hurlbag74 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Renault > Scénic/Scénic RX4