Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 10:49 AM   #1
billyboy128
AF Newbie

Post Cavalier steering wheel horn switches

2OO5 Cavalier 2.2 liter OHC 4 speed auto tilt steering wheel. I have a horn that was hard blow when pressing the horn buttons when purchased used, pressing in the center usually made the horn blow . After replacing the steering column and ignition lock cylinder Its now next to impossible to get it to blow now. I need instructions or any info on how to repair or replace what's in the steering wheel that needs to be worked on. Do the switches have to be replaced, contacts, or just cleaned. what goes bad causing the horn switches to not work?. I've checked the fuse, relay and the horn and they're both ok, it's in the steering wheel!
I called a chey dealers parts department. They told me that the horn contacts were included in the entire airbag pack and the entire unit is $750.00. Would it be good to put in a switch mounted on the dash to the horn? I've seen some YouTube videos that show this.

Last edited by billyboy128; 10-21-2015 at 06:35 PM. Reason: update
billyboy128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:06 PM   #2
billyboy128
AF Newbie

Re: Cavalier steering wheel horn switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy128 View Post
2OO5 Cavalier 2.2 liter OHC 4 speed auto tilt steering wheel. I have a horn that was hard blow when pressing the horn buttons when purchased used, pressing in the center usually made the horn blow . After replacing the steering column and ignition lock cylinder Its now next to impossible to get it to blow now. I need instructions or any info on how to repair or replace what's in the steering wheel that needs to be worked on. Do the switches have to be replaced, contacts, or just cleaned. what goes bad causing the horn switches to not work?. I've checked the fuse, relay and the horn and they're both ok, it's in the steering wheel!
I called a chey dealers parts department. They told me that the horn contacts were included in the entire airbag pack and the entire unit is $750.00. Would it be good to put in a switch mounted on the dash to the horn? I've seen some YouTube videos that show this.
Anybody have complete instructions on by passing the the steering wheel horn and hooking up a switch?? ANYBODY HOME!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2015, 09:42 PM   #3
Tech II
AF Fanatic

You say you replaced the steering column.....did you replace the whole column or did you transfer any parts from the old to the new one

The switch in the pad goes through the canceling cam to a contact in the multifunction switch.....basically, all it is, is a ground circuit to the horn relay, to ground the relay and close the relay contacts to provide power to the horn..

As you can see from the diagram, all you have to do is tie into circuit #28 with a wire going to a switch, that is grounded.....you can attach it at the multifunction switch, connector C2, terminal H, at the BCM, Connector C3, terminal B7, or at terminal #1 into the relay.....or you can trace the ground circuit from the airbag down the column, to see where the problem is.......

Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:39 PM   #4
billyboy128
AF Newbie

I seriously appreciate your help . I got an email and want to see if it works in replying, got my auto forums mixed up! So from your response I can splice into circuit 28 the black wire going to terminal #1 on the relay located under the driver side dash. Run the wire to the one terminal on button I have, and run a wire from the other terminal to a good ground. Is there any type of wire and size that you recommend? Remember I'm old and basically a novice.
BTW The Haynes Repair Manual says the relay is either a 3 pin grounded or a four pin. Mine relay is 5 pins!

Last edited by billyboy128; 10-26-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:40 PM   #5
Tech II
AF Fanatic

As you can see from the wiring diagram, the whole circuit uses 0.5 wire(metric) ....that is the equivalent of of 20 gauge wire...

You should have a 4 pin relay...if it has 5, one of them isn't used.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:49 PM   #6
billyboy128
AF Newbie

Again I thank you for your advice. You've been a big help! I found a conversion chart for the wiring. From the schematic It looks like pin 4 isn't used but I'll check the harness.. Ill wire pin 1 to the switch and the other to a ground under the dash. I'll see how it works out. Since the relay Is under the dash on the drivers side it wont require any long runs of wire.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #7
billyboy128
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Cavalier steering wheel horn switches

I removed the horn relay from the harness. Found the Hot at all times pin. Found the ground pin and hooked up spade terminals and wire to it and to a switch mounted on the dash. The horn works fine now. It should pass inspection. last question, the horn worked intermittently but you had to play around push it in the center a few times to get it to work. The car was bought used and the horn only worked if you press in the center, not at the horn emblems on the wheel. After the column was replaced with a used one the horn really got much worse. What goes bad in there that needs replaced if you know?
Again thank you Tec 2 very much for your advice you have been be extremely helpful. The problem is solved!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis