Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix > Tips and Maintenance
Tips and Maintenance Post helpful tips, maintenance guides and R&R procedures here (for both Pontiac Grand Prix and Oldsmobile Intrigue)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 03:11 AM   #1
BNaylor
AF Moderator

How to Replace Ignition Switch '97-'03

Ignition switch replacement for '97 - '03 Grand Prix

BEFORE BEGINING THIS REPAIR REMOVE THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL FROM THE BATTERY. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO DO THE REPAIR WITHOUT DOING THIS.

Look inside the slot where the tilt steering knob is located. There is a black metal piece where the knob inserts into the tilt mechanism. Pry it back slightly with a small screwdriver. One from an electronics tool set will work. While you have it pried, pull the knob out and it should release.

Remove the two screws from the bottom of the steering column cover and remove the cover.

Remove the two screws that hold the top steering column cover in place.

Insert the ignition key into the key cylinder and turn the key clockwise to the start position. Nothing will happen because you have disconnected the battery prior to starting this project. Lift the top steering column cover being careful not to break it because it is still held in place by the ignition key cylinder. You will see with your mirror near the back end of the cylinder housing a small hole. Stick a small allen wrench in the hole, this will release the key cylinder so that it can be pulled out. Once the key cylinder is removed the column top cover is free to be removed.

The black box below the key cylinder with all of the wires coming out of it is the ignition switch that you are changing. Look at the switch you have purchased for this repair. Notice that the small white plug with two wires attached has a tab on the side that can be pushed down, this is the release for the plug-in. Using your mirror you will see that plug-in against the ignition switch housing where it plugs in. Using a small screw driver press the release tab in against the plug and rotate the plug 90 degrees to the right to remove it. To do otherwise may break the plug.

Remove the plug from the white key release device by inserting a small screw driver and pressing the release tab on it.

Undo the two screws holding the ignition switch.

Undo the plug at the opposite end of the ignition switch by unscrewing the bolt in the center of the plug and unplugging it. (Use 7mm socket)

There is a black wiring plug on top and a gray one on the bottom of the ignition switch plug that need to be removed. This is done by prying the center of the plug case where it meets the ignition harness plug while sliding it forward. Note: Black and gray plugs sandwich the ignition switch plug. They are the plugs for the multifunction switch.

Cut any tie wraps holding the wire harness in place and feed it out of the dash.

To install do the reverse of the above, and tie wrap the new harness into place. Be sure to properly align the key cylinder when replacing it in the housing and if the key will not come out of the cylinder there is a silver key release button at the bottom of the white device in front of the ignition switch. Press it and the key will come out. Also when replacing the ignition switch make sure that the slot in the switch is properly aligned with the corresponding part on the steering column that fits in the slot.

Ignition Switch and Harness Assembly

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines

Last edited by BNaylor; 12-19-2006 at 01:24 PM.
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
slyfox70
AF Newbie

Re: How to Replace Ignition Switch '97-'03

Thank you for those instructions they will help me alot. I have one question for you.

I have to push a button under the steering column to turn my key back to off position to be able to pull my key out I believe you called it the white key release device. Is that whats bad or is it the ignition switch I am not sure. My shifter was not working but I fixed that already myself so it has to be one of the other issues in my steering column. Thank you again

Last edited by slyfox70; 03-29-2008 at 09:31 PM.
slyfox70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
Slughorn
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: How to Replace Ignition Switch '97-'03

Thank You for these instructions- they were well written -everything I
disassembled followed step by step. You do need a E5 inverterd torx bit for
the ignition screw bolts - most standard sets only go to E6- you may need to
pick this tool up for your local tool supplier (Snap-on. Mac or Matco.)

I had a 2001 G/P - the ignition key would not come out with out hitting the release and the shifter would not move without hitting the release- I had no
power at the BTSI fuse that feeds power to the shifter lock release. The BTSI fuse gets it power from the white wire that comes form the ignition switch.
Slughorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:25 AM   #4
Hyltod
AF Newbie

Wow..great instructions. Don't know how they could have been any better. When I changed mine, the BTSI fuse blew somewhere in the process and wouldn't allow the ignition key to come out nor would allow to come out of park. Changed that out and everything is good. I think I left the white plug off and hooked the battery up and then noticed the plug off and connected the plug...and probably blew the fuse.
Hyltod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
manglers
AF Newbie

Do you have to remove the lower part of the dash to hook up the opposite end of the ignition switch? Doesn't mention this, but I don't know how you would reach it otherwise.
manglers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by manglers View Post
Do you have to remove the lower part of the dash to hook up the opposite end of the ignition switch? Doesn't mention this, but I don't know how you would reach it otherwise.
Just the kick panel part and you will then see the connector block for the ignition switch and multifunction switch with the 7mm screw under the steering column.

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 09-20-2009, 12:55 AM   #7
manglers
AF Newbie

We just replaced the ignition switch on our 98 buick regal. It started the day we switched it out(yesterday), we put everything back together and now it won't start. The security light is now blinking and it doesn't even try to turn over. We have tried to charge the battery to see if that would help-but no luck. Any ideas?
Old 09-20-2009, 08:53 AM   #8
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
We just replaced the ignition switch on our 98 buick regal. It started the day we switched it out(yesterday), we put everything back together and now it won't start. The security light is now blinking and it doesn't even try to turn over. We have tried to charge the battery to see if that would help-but no luck. Any ideas?

Did you replace just the ignition switch and harness assembly or the key cylinder too?

For Passkey II systems try the key relearn procedure. With ignition switch to ON key in switch for at least 10 minutes and then ignition OFF for 30 minutes (leave key in) or until the security light stops blinking.

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 09-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
manglers
AF Newbie

We replaced the ignition switch(which has all the wiring down to a black box with the screw in the middle)-so don't know if it's considered the wiring harness also. It was all one piece. We did not replace the cylinder.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
manglers
AF Newbie

The part we replaced looks just like your picture shown in your write-up, so we replaced the ignition switch with wiring harness. Oh, and our car is a 97 Buick Regal I just found out.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
manicmechanix
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Shouldn't this be a Passlock II system so the theft light shouldn't have stopped the starter from operating. Funny, maybe your starter decided to take a dive?. Maybe you didn't get all the connectors hooked up good. To get the theft light to shut off do the password relearn procedure that was mentioned.
manicmechanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #12
manglers
AF Newbie

Our 97 Buick Regal has the Pass-key II system.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #13
manglers
AF Newbie

Ok, I just did the relearn process for our 97 Buick Regal. By the way, it's key in Run position for 10 minutes, in lock position for 5 seconds, and do this 2 more times-to total 3 times(30 minutes) then car should start. Our car started but the Security light is ON STEADY while car is running. Any ideas what we should do now?
Old 09-20-2009, 09:16 PM   #14
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicmechanix View Post
Shouldn't this be a Passlock II system so the theft light shouldn't have stopped the starter from operating.
Negative. It is a Passkey II system. Last time I got the security light in my Regal the starter would not turnover so that is normal. The immobilizer system disables starting and cuts off the fuel injection system pulse width modulation.

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 09-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #15
manglers
AF Newbie

Wanted to see what you guys thought. We replaced the ignition switch on our 97 buick regal and I had to relearn the system as stated earlier. Now the Security light stays ON, but the car starts and runs fine. How do I get the Security light to shut off or should I worry about it?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix > Tips and Maintenance