Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: UGLY?
YES! 4 57.14%
NO? 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 09:51 AM   #16
Hudson
Old Mod

Re: Re: Re: Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23toyota23
What was it exactly? I know that it was all rebadged cars from Suzuki, Isuzu, and Toyota but why didn't GM just add the models to the Chevy line to begin with?
They did.

Originally, Chevrolet offered the (Suzuki) Sprint, (Isuzu) Spectrum, and (Toyota) Nova. In 1989, all three of them, along with the new (Suzuki) Tracker, were restyled and rebadged as Geos. The idea was that import buyers wouldn't buy a Chevrolet, and there is plenty of truth to that.

The Storm replaced the Spectrum in 1990 and only survived a few more years, but the rest of the lineup made the transition from Geo to Chevrolet. GM claims that Geo's goal of bringing import buyers to Chevrolet showrooms was accomplished, but I believe the reason the Geo brand was eliminated had to do with the cost of maintaining two separate brands for one franchise. It was much cheaper to advertise Chevrolet alone than to spread all of that marketing money across Chevrolet AND Geo.

Chevrolet's trying again with the importation of the new Aveo in the US and other Daewoo models into other countries.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 11:22 AM   #17
CivicLeader
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to CivicLeader Send a message via Yahoo to CivicLeader
Much good info....
Thnx....
CL
CivicLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 12:02 AM   #18
blazed on haze :\
AF Regular

the xA is the lamest fucken thing ive ever seen...

tho the xB has some nice groves and decent styling its still just a box. this is one weird car.
blazed on haze :\ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 02:49 PM   #19
Hudson
Old Mod

The xA is a competent little car. For a person without a family, the xA would be a great choice. It's fun to drive and it has a distinctive yet subtle look about it. From some angles, it looks similar to the new Mini, but overall it's unique...atleast on the US market. The one I'm driving has turned about 32 mpg, it has good pickup, good interior room, and, like I said, it's fun to drive. It's also a good quality car for under $16k...a bargain compared to the smaller Mini.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 06:54 PM   #20
pilavdzic
AF Newbie

xA looks a bit futuristic from side and rear, no?

I think the shape grows on you. Lots of people will be buying them, because lots of people can afford cheaper cars, and its cheap and economical on fuel, and insurance is likely to be cheap as well.

I have been considering buying one for some time now, and I know the popular opinion is that the box is outselling the other one 2 to 1 because people think its funky and the other one is ugly, but take a second look at the xA. Its futuristic looking from the side and rear. Only the front is ugly, and with replacement of the grill with something nicer from a body kit, isn't that bad at all. Obviously, its no sports car, but its just such a good deal...

I graduated from college, and probably could afford an NSX (tempting) but I'm choosing to be more responsible and enjoy awesome gas mileage and low insurance until I turn 25. Then I'll get the NSX after I invested some money in real-estate

I can see why people like the boxy one too, but figure it this way, you pay an extra 1K for the extra interior space basically, but its clearly less aerodynamic and gets worse fuel economy.. to me, that's key because in Canada the echo hatchback (basically a scion, only cuter looking and comes in a 2dr which is lighter and has no power steering, ie. will be awesome if you slap a turbo on it) get 51mpg highway. I am assuming that the 38mpg in the US is just very understated, so I am basically interested in the car for the fuel economy and price. The only other things you can get brand new for that much money are total pieces of crap. Toyota has made these in japan for years (called the IST) and its reliable and has no problems, and tons of people soup em up and race the little mini-cars. Ok the Hyundai Accent is OK reliability wise as well but I just don't like it as much, and its nowhere near as economical or fun to drive.

So, I made a big sacrifice in sportiness, but, I think I'll be getting a value that nothing else comes close to these days in the car world. I think the car market has just jacked up prices on consumers beacuse they know we want cars just like that company controlls the supply of diamonds, unneccesarily boosting the prices of something otherwise not worth that much. The other cars I like, Acura RSX type-S, Infinity G35 coupe, and Acura NSX are really worth only 20K, 25K and 35K to me respectively (and cost the manufacturers probably ten thousand less than even that to produce, but in reality they cost 24K, 35K and 90K). So, until the scion I was going to get the acura because it was closest to what I thought it was really worth to me, but scion beats it now at being 13K which is awesome because at least I know they arn't making nearly as much money off me as the others.

If you don't get what I mean, look at it this way: I doubt that even an Acura RSX costs more than 2-3K more to produce than a scion, and the car costs 10K more. That's 7K of extra profit to the manufacturer, just because I want a nicer car. So I said screw that... I may be a car enthusiast but I have to use my knowledge to get the best deal now, until I can really more easily afford something better.

my

L8r ppl.
pilavdzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 07:56 PM   #21
Max Boost
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Max Boost
Re: Ugly

There aint enough beer, money, or naked women in the world to get me into one of those...

Future Purchases:
Exhaust
Headers
Volk TE37s (drool)
Turbo?
Max Boost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 11:01 PM   #22
TSOPbananaforyou
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to TSOPbananaforyou Send a message via AIM to TSOPbananaforyou Send a message via MSN to TSOPbananaforyou Send a message via Yahoo to TSOPbananaforyou
I like these cars alot. I think both of them and the new tC a sports car look really good. They have option/aftermarket parts/mods that are covered unter warrenty and come with your car when you get it.

NO i am not a salesperson for scion i just like the cars that much. I listened to this guy talk about the cars for 20 mins at the saint louis auto show and then i won a beenie cap for answering a question right.
TSOPbananaforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:10 PM   #23
PoisonFangs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PoisonFangs
All this talk about the Scion XA and the XB but you have not mentioned the 2005 TC that thing is sweet with the optional supercharger. go to yahoo and type in 2005 Scion TC. If then you still hate it go ahead.
PoisonFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 01:47 AM   #24
Cheif xB
AF Newbie

Nobody ever said the xa and xb are pretty. I like ugly cars.....so much I bought one.
Cheif xB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 12:26 PM   #25
TSOPbananaforyou
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to TSOPbananaforyou Send a message via AIM to TSOPbananaforyou Send a message via MSN to TSOPbananaforyou Send a message via Yahoo to TSOPbananaforyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSOPbananaforyou
I like these cars alot. I think both of them and the new tC a sports car look really good. They have option/aftermarket parts/mods that are covered unter warrenty and come with your car when you get it.

NO i am not a salesperson for scion i just like the cars that much. I listened to this guy talk about the cars for 20 mins at the saint louis auto show and then i won a beenie cap for answering a question right.

I have just quoted my own post. In the previous post i mentioned the tC and the pic. that was posted that has the turbo tC looks SWEET
TSOPbananaforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 11:40 AM   #26
cowtnadv
AF Regular

Cool

Actually I got a buddy at Toyota and have driven both! The XA is a kick ass pocket rocket that's about the size of a Civic with the Camry 6 cyl in it with a 5 speed tranny. It ran pretty peppy for a pocket rocket!

The XB is a cruise car for the kids - lots of room inside and made to handle the big sound systems and it still was a smooth driver but with only a 1.8 engine. It got you around but I was told they have a turbo version that makes it better. We are trying some Flowmaster Hushpower II mufflers (www.flowmastermufflers.com) on them right now to see how they sound!

Soon as I get sound bytes and photos I will post them.

I was told they were for the sports compact segment and I could tell with the highest price one at $14500 loaded!

I drove the Boxy XB on the weekend and the kids went nuts over it! Very comfortable to drive.

Old Fart
cowtnadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 01:51 AM   #27
Chamiltor
AF Newbie

Have any of you seen the tC? HOT!! Out in June
Chamiltor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 02:35 AM   #28
Zanark
AF Enthusiast

I heard the TC is gonna suck balls. Just something to go up against the Saturn Ion Redline. I mean wtf is wrong wtih toyota Supercharging a car? I mean damn that doesnt leave much room for modification. Plus that cars purty hefty lol has a 2.4 liter and its around the same length as an eclipse. NOt To Mention it only has 41 inches of leg room. SO you better be a midget to fit in it o_O
Old 06-12-2004, 01:43 AM   #29
Lil Lucas
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Lil Lucas

xA looks like a car that you would actually find in japan
Lil Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 08:54 PM   #30
spasticone
AF Regular

These cars suck Big Donk.... Ugly beyond recognition and TINY inside