Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 08:46 PM   #1
Rutt
AF Newbie

Exclamation Questions for the Resident Expert JDM4LYFE

Well, my fine young readers, since the other not-so-wonderful thread was closed. I'll start my own.
I have a few q's to ask this individual, and to the general populous, if they want to participate. Now, there are some rather tough ones, that I know by heart, and there are some rather easy ones. It's test time. Let's see how good you are.

1.-What is the ideal gas law and how does it apply to FI systems?
2.-What is volumetric efficiency and how does altitude affect it?
3.- At 4500Ft/asl, how much air does a 5.7L displace?
4.-What is the formula for altitude correction?
5.-How does the dew point effect Hp/tq on a given day?
6.-What is intake pulse tuning/timing?
7.-How does VE affect the effiicency of dual scroll HY35W turbo?
8.-Can a 2.3L gas 4cylinder use a 5.9L diesel 6cyl turbo?,why?
9.-What is the difference betwen a front-mounted and a remote turbo system?(I want specifics)
10.-How much Hp/tq would a 2.0L have at 4500ft/asl with 80% humidity, a dew point of 40degrees, and an air temp 100degrees/F.If you started with 170hp@sea level?
11- Why is a flow bench important for port work?
12.-What is an acceptable cfm range +/- between ports?
13.- How much valve margin is acceptable?
14.-Explain, in detail, a 5 angle valve job
15. In automotive, which came first, OHV setups or OHC setups?
16.-How much of our technology is borrowed from the military or aviation?
17.-What is the formula for correctly sizing a turbo to any given engine?
18.-How do you read a compressor map, and why is this important?
19.-What is the difference between actual and corrected altitude?
20.-When honing cylinders what kind of pattern should you be looking for?, what angle should it be?
21.-What surface is ideal for chrome-moly rings?
22.-What is engine blueprinting?
23.-How do you Nitride a crank?
24.-Explain the process involved in making an ADI crank?
25.-What is cryotreatment, and what are the benefits?
26.-What are the differences between an oversquare, square, and undersquare engines?
27.-Explain the powerflow, from the flywheel to the back wheels, of a automatic equipped,98 v6 4x4 ranger.(you can actually use any make/model 4x4, I'm not biased)
28.-Explain the powerflow of an a4ld and 4R55E ford 4-speed automatic,RWD transmissions, are they different?, why?(if you know Ford automatics, this should be easy)
29.-What is the difference between a Ravigneaux and a Simpson style planetary gearset?
30.-Explain what a 'Drive cycle' is on an OBD-II equipped vehicle
31.-What components are checked during the drive cycle, and in what order?
32.-Why does having more/less than 1/4 tank of fuel effect how the PCM establishes a drive cycle?
33.-When was variable valve timing invented, and from start to finish how does it work?
34.-How does a CVT work and when was it invented?(be careful with this one)
35.-What is a BOB?
36.-On a 4-wheel steering system, what component(s) is/are responsible for synchronizing front/rear wheel movement?
37.-Will ABS work in reverse?
38.-What is the function of the radiator cap?
39.-What is nucleate boiling, and how does it affect cooling?
40.-Can you mix green and orange coolant together, why?
41.-What was the first car to offer seatbelts?
42.-When was the 'moving headlight' technology first invented?
43.-What is 80% of the end result of a typical gas burning engine?(what comes out of the exhaust)
44.-How does an o2 sensor work?
45.-What is a Galvanic battery?
46.-When reading a code it says, 'Bank one lean', what side of the engine is it indicating?
47.-What is the difference between an upstream and downstream o2 sensor?
48.-Will removing the catalytic converter on an OBD-II equipped vehicle cause the 'Check engine light' to illuminate?
49.-Does a diesel engine have vacuum?
50.-Will we ever run out of oil/gas?

Now, I could continue, but this should be more than enough for even the most studious of individuals. There is no prize for getting the most correct, but you will be better educated to say the least. This is but a sample of what a 'REAL' technician should know. Anybody can be a mechanic, and replace parts as needed. A technician can break down even the most intricate of systems and explain them, piece by piece.

FYI-(for JDM4LYFE)I'm not a business major student. My degree is in automotive technology, and I'm now studying to be an engineer. If you think that is an easy task, then by all means try it yourself. I'm married with two children ,and work full time as a Ford technician. I've just decided to further my education to better my skills as a technician, and a fabricator. Plus, I really like the science behind automotive technology. I don't wear my diploma on my chest, nor do I often brag about it.(it is nice to have on a resume though) But, when pressed, I will defend my intelligence as an idividual, and will mention its existence. I'm not some namby-pamby con artist who tries to fake his way through life.(like some certain 'ricers') I'm a real person with some real skills that took time(read-years) to accumulate. This isn't a rebuttal, but more like a way to better familiarize yourself with what it takes to be a technician. Have fun with the questions, I think you'll find #50 most intriguing. 'Git 'er done',LOL
Old 03-13-2005, 08:58 PM   #2
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587
Re: Questions for the Resident Expert JDM4LYFE

1. 'JDM4LYFE' obviously has no clue what he is talking about (not that I can answer very many of these either, but I never acted as if I could). You don't need to call him out with "50 Questions" in order to prove that.

2. You still made some unkind remarks towards Japanese car fans, obviously assuming that all of us are ricers like some of the people in that thread. I'm not going to quote or repeat anything; that thread is gone for good, and I'd rather it not be reincarnated and manifested into this one. Although you obviously know what you are talking about when it comes to automotive technology, you're still showing some ignorance and closed-mindedness when it comes to automotive ideology. There isn't always one right answer to every question that ever comes up about cars (regardless of what they teach you in automotive tech school) because no fact that you know can be substituted for another person's opinion. You are a Ford mechanic and a proud American, so your ideology is going to bias you against Japanese-made cars. But please, realize that not all of us Japanese car fans are as idiotic as 'JDM4LYFE' or others like him.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:19 PM   #3
Rutt
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Questions for the Resident Expert JDM4LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman10587
1. 'JDM4LYFE' obviously has no clue what he is talking about (not that I can answer very many of these either, but I never acted as if I could). You don't need to call him out with "50 Questions" in order to prove that.

2. You still made some unkind remarks towards Japanese car fans, obviously assuming that all of us are ricers like some of the people in that thread. I'm not going to quote or repeat anything; that thread is gone for good, and I'd rather it not be reincarnated and manifested into this one. Although you obviously know what you are talking about when it comes to automotive technology, you're still showing some ignorance and closed-mindedness when it comes to automotive ideology. There isn't always one right answer to every question that ever comes up about cars (regardless of what they teach you in automotive tech school) because no fact that you know can be substituted for another person's opinion. You are a Ford mechanic and a proud American, so your ideology is going to bias you against Japanese-made cars. But please, realize that not all of us Japanese car fans are as idiotic as 'JDM4LYFE' or others like him.
Wrong, I made no negative comments about any one manufacturer. Quit putting words into my mouth. I am not biased at all. In fact, I used to work for a Toyota/Lexus dealership for a number of years. But, I had to relocate and couldn't justify the 100miles to/from work I'd have to travel each day. I only formed a rebuttal to his/her response to one my counterparts comments in that other thread. I figured if you're going to bash someone, at least know who you're bashing.
As to the questions being biased towards american made cars, that's just rediculous. These questions can apply to any vehicle regardless of make/model. There are some vehicle specific questions, but if anyone knows anything about automatics, they should be able to give a response regardless. Any technician worth a grain of salt should be able to answer these.
These questions aren't just for this individual, as pointed out in the very first paragraph. Give them a shot if you'd like. For getting the most correct, I'll send you a cookie.

Edit:You're right about there being more than one answer, and everyone has been taught something different. But, these questions all have similar answers, no matter where or how you were taught. Some individuals don't even know the 'general' answers to these 'general' questions.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:25 PM   #4
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

Rutt, I thought crayzayjay was quite clear in the last thread.

He even left you a link to the AF userguidelines:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...uidelines.html

In case you missed this part 2x, let me post it specifically for you, so you wont miss it again:

POSTING IN CLOSED OR OUTDATED THREADS:
If a thread has been closed, there is probably a logical reason for it. If you feel that the reason(s) for closure of the original thread are unjustified or wish further clarification feel free to contact any member of the moderating team. However, do not start a new thread about another closed thread.

So at this point, I suggest you let it die.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:30 PM   #5
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

I didn't mean that the questions were biased towards American manufacturers, I'm saying that it sounded like you are. If you say you aren't, then okay, just try to be a little more subtle with words like "ricer" and "wanna-be". I didn't mean to put words in your mouth, and I apologize for that, but I just feel that in your harshness on JDM4LYFE, a little bit of it sprayed onto the rest of us who are not quite as zealous about Japanese automobiles, but still appreciate them deeply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutt
These questions aren't just for this individual, as pointed out in the very first paragraph. Give them a shot if you'd like. For getting the most correct, I'll send you a cookie.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm no engineer. I'd be lucky to get even five of these correct.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:34 PM   #6
whtteg
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to whtteg

Rutt enjoy your vacation, when you get back please take the time to read the user guidelines that Igovert500 gave you a link to.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General