Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Other Cars
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 11:16 PM   #1
Mclaren F1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Mclaren F1
Austin Healey lovers post here

anyone here have an Austin Healey? I have a 65 austin healey bugeye sprite...my father used to race it and he gave it to me. Great car, i don't drive it much, it's too precious to me.
anyone here like those vintage austin healeys?
Mclaren F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 06:35 PM   #2
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
I like them, but I dont know a heck of a lot about them. Part of the reason is that they are too pricey to buy. (But you gotta love the smiley face on your dads sprite!)
Old 11-17-2001, 12:21 AM   #3
Hudson
Old Mod

Re: Austin Healey lovers post here

Quote:
Originally posted by Mclaren F1
anyone here have an Austin Healey? I have a 65 austin healey bugeye sprite...my father used to race it and he gave it to me. Great car, i don't drive it much, it's too precious to me.
anyone here like those vintage austin healeys?
I'm sure you don't have a 1965 Austin-Healey "bugeye" Sprite, since the "bugeye" version ended production years earlier. A 1965 Sprite is a Mk III as opposed to the Mk I (1959-1961), Mk II (1961-1964), Mk IV (1967-1969), or the Austin Sprite (1970).

I have a 1972 MG Midget, basically the same car as the Sprite.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 01:32 AM   #4
dejoux
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to dejoux
Due to my parents influence ive always been into the MG version, I love the spridget. My favourite is the 1973 RWA midget.

The Austin Healey I like the most is the 100, especially the 100M and 100S...But those are a wee bit out of my price range at the moment (and for a long time)

One by one the penguins steal my sanity
dejoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 02:48 PM   #5
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva
I'm doing some "research" for a friend here, so don't make fun of me too much

Would it be entirely impossible to find a '67 or so Healey?? If so, how hard would it be to find parts to rebuild it??? I'm hoping I can get my friend to join AF to do his own research from now on, but those should do for a start! :flash:

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 05:06 PM   #6
dejoux
AF Enthusiast

What type of Austin Healey are you talking about the MKIV 1275cc Sprite or the 3000 (I think they still made them then). As for getting a car I dont know because Im not in America but I cant imagine it would be too difficult. Pretty much all parts are available for them, in the case of the sprite you can even buy new whole bodyshells. It will often have to come from England but you can buy it.

Old 01-09-2002, 11:30 PM   #7
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva
Quote:
Originally posted by dejoux
What type of Austin Healey are you talking about the MKIV 1275cc Sprite or the 3000 (I think they still made them then). As for getting a car I dont know because Im not in America but I cant imagine it would be too difficult. Pretty much all parts are available for them, in the case of the sprite you can even buy new whole bodyshells. It will often have to come from England but you can buy it.
I honestly don't have a clue as to "type"... :o I guess now my friend will have to join! *lol*

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 02:55 PM   #8
MADASS
AF Newbie

Austin Healy Frog Eye,d Sprite - yes i love them - never had one though never quite managed it, and seeing as i am only a peasant ,they are now well out of my price range.

If i remember correctly it had the same engine as the old Moris Minor (Moggy Thou) as they were called in these parts. and i believe they did a twin carb one that was a tad on the nippy side for its day, i think i am also right in saying that it was partly built with wood, at least the early one's whether or not it is a cracking little sports car.

MADASS
MADASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 04:41 PM   #9
dejoux
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by MADASS
If i remember correctly it had the same engine as the old Moris Minor (Moggy Thou) as they were called in these parts. and i believe they did a twin carb one that was a tad on the nippy side for its day, i think i am also right in saying that it was partly built with wood, at least the early one's whether or not it is a cracking little sports car.

MADASS
Yes they both used a 998cc version of the Austin A-Series engine but theyre not identical, the sprite version has more power.

All Spridgets (except for the +74 triumph engined 1500) used twin SU carbs. The Mk1 'Bugeye" used twin 1 1/8" and after that they used twin 1 1/4" the same as what was used on a Mini Cooper except with a different manifold that held them on a slightly different angle.

No Spridgets had a wood body, they are all monoque steel bodied. The last wood bodied sports car to be built at Abingdon (The MG factory where Austin-Healeys were assembled) was the MG TF that ceased production in 1955.

The performance of them isnt startling if you compare it to modern traffic but thats not what they should be put up against. They were always a poor mans sports car made with parts out of other BMC cars and they still had a reasonable turn of speed compared to cars of the day like Austin A30s and Morris Minors.

Old 02-20-2002, 05:27 AM   #10
MADASS
AF Newbie

No wood eh, now that has made me chuckle, lt it just goes to show that you cant trust any one.

I once went to have a look at one back in the sixties, that was advertised in the local paper and as i checked underneath the sill i spotted boy filler and wood, when i mentioned it to the chap that owned it he said that car was partly made with wood and i have believed that story right up till now, Telling Porkies to get a sale, Mmmmmm - must have been a Politician.
MADASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 06:49 PM   #11
Pennzoil GT-R
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by dejoux
You may have a problem sourcing parts. Austin Healeys were made by Austin Rover, who were in turn owned by British Leyland, who liquidated a few years back now. Parts for the old British sports cars are notoriously difficult to get, even if you live in England.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:51 PM   #12
Hudson
Old Mod

Pennzoil:

British cars are relatively easy to get parts for in the US. There are three major sources of parts for these cars and many minor sources. Austin-Healeys are more rare than MGs and Triumphs, but parts are still available. In the US, you can get nearly any part you need within a few days.

I'll have to look into it, but I don't think "Austin Rover" existed in 1967. Austin supplied parts for Austin-Healey vehicles, but "Austin Rover" wasn't created until the BL name was eliminated about 15 years later.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 10:20 AM   #13
tigermiata
AF Enthusiast

I don't know why A-H's leave me cold. I really like the old Riley-powered Healeys, the Alvis-Healeys, the Nash-Healeys and even the Jensen Healeys -- but don't get excited over Austin-Healeys. :help:
2005 Acura RSX Type S
tigermiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 04:13 PM   #14
cory6903
AF Newbie

i have one

i have one a 1960 bugeye

been rebuilding it for bout 3 yrs

driving now

i have a question for you , do you have a sterio in it, i need help with mine
cory6903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 12:15 AM   #15
El Tristano
AF Newbie

BN2s were the nicest, the problem with a bug eye is that its near impossible to get in a soft top with the roof up
El Tristano is offline   Reply With Quote