Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 02:45 AM   #1
Lethidox
AF Newbie

Can you remove rusted nut with pliers?

if i were putting penetrating oil on it would it easily come out with some pliers?

i tried to change my o2 sensor and i didn't know it would be stuck on so good and it didn't cross my mind since i mean im learning and first time of course doing this. ended up stripping the damn nut idk if the o2 socket will even lock on anymore. planning to get some penetrating oil tomorrow.

kind of want to remove this sensor badly to check if my issue will get fixed. i mean my only other option would be an extractor nut and just chop off the top part and yank it off.

sucks too because i got the first one out easily but the 2nd one on the down stream bank 2 it's stuck on real good. that is sadly the one i need to replace to fix the issue or see if it will fix it.
Lethidox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lethidox For This Useful Post:
lhnlhn (11-29-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 08:20 AM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Can you remove rusted nut with pliers?

If an O2 socket won't work. I would try Round Vice Grips. PBlaster is good penetrating oil.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:55 AM   #3
Lethidox
AF Newbie

yea i was thinking of PB blaster idk what selection my shop has thats why. i'll try the vice grips. literally don't want to be driving back and forth buying parts; did this a few times already because the tool i bought for the job just didn't work.

gonna try the o2 socket again but doubt it will not i stripped it really good. gonna pick up some vice grips and check that out. last resort guess i got to hold off until wednesday and just remove the entire setup and replace everything and this time use penetrating oil before not after
Old 11-27-2021, 04:51 PM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

The new sensor will likely have a little anti-seize compound on the threads. Using a penetrating oil before installing the new sensor is probably asking for trouble, either because it could cause damage to the catalytic converter when it burns or because it may prevent the anti-seize from doing its job. You want to be careful what chemicals and materials you send down the exhaust path to avoid damaging the catalytic converter. Also, penetrating oil typically not very effective long-term, it's more something to use shortly before you plan to attempt to remove the rusted fastener.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:43 PM   #5
Lethidox
AF Newbie

i only replaced 1 which is bank 1 sensor 2 i believe i have 4. 2 under the hood and the sensor 2's behind the catalytic. probably won't spray anything new. didn't tighten the new one that hard either so it should come out. rest im going to spray and replace anyways though.

about how long is too long with the penetrating oil? i was thinking spraying it say tuesday night and then coming back to it wednesday and spraying it again and cracking them open or is that bad? i mean just looking at the bolts they look rusted af.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:28 AM   #6
shorod
SHO No Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethidox View Post
about how long is too long with the penetrating oil? i was thinking spraying it say tuesday night and then coming back to it wednesday and spraying it again and cracking them open or is that bad?
That sounds about perfect.
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:55 AM   #7
Lethidox
AF Newbie

Thanks I'm gonna try do that. I still got to buy tools. Literally starting from nothing. No tools no knowledge just learning as I go

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General