Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
Whiteyonthepc
AF Newbie

4 cyl performance for cheap

Hey everyone. First post here for me , though I've been reading this forum for almost a year now and gotten many helpful tips. I would like to start with how I got my x. My Dad was the original owner of it. It's a 2000 Xterra, doesn't say se or xe so I'm assuming xe. It has the 4 cyl in it with a 5 speed manual.

I haven't done many things to it. I've added after market fog lights, a three into one power adapter custom wired, a sirus sat radio custom wired, had it reprogrammed, put a k&n drop in filter in, recently had a new higher end clutch installed, had subwoofers in till i blew one and then took them out, took off the cargo bin thing on my rack, added hid bulbs to both headlights and fog lights, and added some platinum 4 spark plugs. My dad gave me it to me when it had 100k miles on it. It has 120k on it now and for some reason ever since I got it it has been falling apart on me.

All 4 o2 sensors are out, I have a seriously cracked windshield, a loud knock when i turn all the way to the right while moving, my driver side front and rear window are having problems rolling up, when my clutch was replaced the shield on the side of the tranny was left with only 1 of 4 bolts on it (and it was only halfway screwed in, just noticed the other day after almost 10k miles on it after service), my ac is making some weird fluttering noise that started recently, and now I am getting some whining while moving coming from the front right of the car that I think maybe the wheel bearing.

So even though I may have a lot wrong with the x at the moment, I still want to post this so I can have something to do on my day off and also for all the people out there that may have bought a 4 cyl instead of a 6. I am waiting for my o2s to come in so they wont be broken for long, as for the whining and ac I don't have a plan yet and the tranny shield will be fixed by the shop coming up Tuesday. But I want to do some more for her so I can have some more fun than I am

I go mudding occasionally (yes in a 4x2) and go out to the beach a lot. I also go camping a lot. But while I'm low on funds right now (gas card not included) I like to go out driving around town looking for fights with other 4s and 6s (and some Detroit 8s) that I can beat. Now because of what I've done to it so far I can compete with the v6 Xterra which is fun when I pull up to one and he hears my 4 banger whining under the hood and tries to keep up while I quick shift and leave it behind before 70 mph. But I know there is more I can do with it to beef it up. I guess what I am asking is, is there any street applications I can do to it that would give me that extra kick down the line.

I had a dream the other night (I know, corny, but amazingly true) about me building an exhaust system for it. A true dual from the headers back with either an x pipe or an h pipe before the flows. I want them to come out diagonally each side in back. Now I know I could do that over time so I already drew up some blueprints for it and put it on the list, but its down pretty far. I want to try some things to it that may be free or cheap (under 40 bucks for each thing.) Anybody have any suggestions?

I am also thinking about a intake system but cannot find one anywhere for a 4 cyl. Xterra. Anybody with a 4 maybe use a 6 cyl system and had it work well? What about the build your own system at Autozone or any other place that they have out for ricers. Do you think I could fab one up to work with the x?

Any input would be much appreciated as I am looking to do an overhaul on another Xterra's 4 from a junkyard I found. I want to get this one set up how I want before I put it in though, as I am thinking about porting it out a little more to maybe a 3.0 and adding some performance hardware to it.

Thanks everyone and please be easy on me. I didn't want the 4 cyl, it is just what I have to work with at the moment. Also please dont tell me that if I want to street race for me to go get a car or a bike because that is not what I want. I want an suv that me and my friends can ride around in, that can handle the weight of 1000 lbs of body in the back, that can handle all my gear for ren fest, but can still beat my friends 95 Chevy 1500. I am not changing cars for a good while so that's out of the question too. And yes, I do know it's a barn on wheels. I've been around here awhile, so just think of me as a mute guy that just found his voice! Thanks again.
Whiteyonthepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
Re: 4 cyl performance for cheap

You might be able to use some parts for other KA24DE-equipped vehicles, it was used in some sports cars like the 240sx.
As for turning it into a 3.0, check your head (the one on your neck). You might be able to take it to 2.5 or 2.6 tops IF there's room to bore it in the block, and there's the matter of sourcing pistons, rods, and a crank to make it happen and I doubt there's such a thing.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail