Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 02:37 AM   #1
FJChristineOC
AF Newbie

2007 FJ Cruiser-AC Blows Hot Air AFTER Engine Coolant Service

Toyota FJ Cruiser Base Model 2 wheel drive
V6 (241Ci) 4.0L (1GR-FE), MFI
Mileage: 100,800

Hello All:

Can the engine coolant system/fluid directly or indirectly affect AC performance? Or, can an engine coolant system service affect (good or bad) AC performance?

Backstory:

3 weeks ago did some 100,000 mile maintenance on my FJ: Engine Coolant system service/fluid flush, Transmission Fluid Flush & replaced front/back shocks. After I got it back, my AC only blows cold air at night (60 degrees outside). And even at night after it’s been running a bit or on the freeway, it’s no where near as cold as it was before the service. During the day it’s worse (70 degrees outside). I can just barely feel cold air if I put my hand right next to vent & put the vents setting to blow only up top. Before the services I mentioned above, AC was blowing cold no matter how hot it was outside. It would even blow cold when idling, but blows very warm now when idling.

I didn’t notice this problem till about 2 weeks later. After I got it back, had a cold spell outside & wasn’t using the AC. But had a couple warm days in a row this week, used the AC, & then realized the issue. However, it was very warm in the days leading up to the service so I had used the AC right before I took it in. (Live in So Cal by beach & in winter it can be 80 deg one day & 65 the next).

When realized issue, called repair shop right away who did service. Was told the engine coolant service/fluid flush-replace has nothing directly or indirectly to do with the AC… that it was just a funny coincidence. So they want to charge me again ($152) to check AC/recharge it & add “freon” if it’s low. And more $$ if there’s a bigger issue (leak, etc).

My Question(s):

Is the repair shop being truthful that the AC problem is “purely coincidental” & has nothing to do with the engine coolant system and service they did?

He also told me the “freon” for the AC is a separate fluid than the coolant for the engine. Is that correct?

During the engine coolant service, could/should it have been discovered that the AC system had leaks?

If AC “freon” is leaking, would there be a puddle under the FJ after it sat for a while?

If I dont turn on AC, how long can I wait to get it fixed? I don’t have the money for repairs, so might be about a month before I can.

Things I’ve Tried:
Some experiments on the AC as described above (when it’s blowing all hot air, temp of day, changing vent settings, running the car on fwy, etc.) Nothing I try causes AC to blow at the cold temp like it did before service.

Last thing I’m going to try is changing the cabin air filter… it’s due. I haven’t tried that yet before posting because don’t have the funds to buy one right now (was also going to try to change it myself). But if it was the cabin filter, I logically would have had this problem before the service(s).

***below is the engine coolant service portion of the repair ticket @ service was completed:

Thank you all in advance!

FYI: I have no automotive repair experience - so am seeking advice on whether repair shop was truthful & then I can decide whether or not to take it back to them. I have only taken it in to them once before for spark plug replacement & had no problems.
FJChristineOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:30 AM   #2
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: 2007 FJ Cruiser-AC Blows Hot Air AFTER Engine Coolant Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJChristineOC View Post
Toyota FJ Cruiser Base Model 2 wheel drive
V6 (241Ci) 4.0L (1GR-FE), MFI
Mileage: 100,800

Hello All:

Can the engine coolant system/fluid directly or indirectly affect AC performance? Or, can an engine coolant system service affect (good or bad) AC performance?

Backstory:

3 weeks ago did some 100,000 mile maintenance on my FJ: Engine Coolant system service/fluid flush, Transmission Fluid Flush & replaced front/back shocks. After I got it back, my AC only blows cold air at night (60 degrees outside). And even at night after it’s been running a bit or on the freeway, it’s no where near as cold as it was before the service. During the day it’s worse (70 degrees outside). I can just barely feel cold air if I put my hand right next to vent & put the vents setting to blow only up top. Before the services I mentioned above, AC was blowing cold no matter how hot it was outside. It would even blow cold when idling, but blows very warm now when idling.

I didn’t notice this problem till about 2 weeks later. After I got it back, had a cold spell outside & wasn’t using the AC. But had a couple warm days in a row this week, used the AC, & then realized the issue. However, it was very warm in the days leading up to the service so I had used the AC right before I took it in. (Live in So Cal by beach & in winter it can be 80 deg one day & 65 the next).

When realized issue, called repair shop right away who did service. Was told the engine coolant service/fluid flush-replace has nothing directly or indirectly to do with the AC… that it was just a funny coincidence. So they want to charge me again ($152) to check AC/recharge it & add “freon” if it’s low. And more $$ if there’s a bigger issue (leak, etc).

My Question(s):

Is the repair shop being truthful that the AC problem is “purely coincidental” & has nothing to do with the engine coolant system and service they did?

He also told me the “freon” for the AC is a separate fluid than the coolant for the engine. Is that correct?

During the engine coolant service, could/should it have been discovered that the AC system had leaks?

If AC “freon” is leaking, would there be a puddle under the FJ after it sat for a while?

If I dont turn on AC, how long can I wait to get it fixed? I don’t have the money for repairs, so might be about a month before I can.

Things I’ve Tried:
Some experiments on the AC as described above (when it’s blowing all hot air, temp of day, changing vent settings, running the car on fwy, etc.) Nothing I try causes AC to blow at the cold temp like it did before service.

Last thing I’m going to try is changing the cabin air filter… it’s due. I haven’t tried that yet before posting because don’t have the funds to buy one right now (was also going to try to change it myself). But if it was the cabin filter, I logically would have had this problem before the service(s).

***below is the engine coolant service portion of the repair ticket @ service was completed:

Thank you all in advance!

FYI: I have no automotive repair experience - so am seeking advice on whether repair shop was truthful & then I can decide whether or not to take it back to them. I have only taken it in to them once before for spark plug replacement & had no problems.

What type of place did you go to when all of this happened:

- A 'quick lube' chain?

- Dealer service?

- Independent garage?

I would not let the top option perform ANYTHING beyond simple oil changes on my car, and I would insist on getting out of the car, standing where I'm allowed, to watch everything that is being done
RidingOnRailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:44 AM   #3
FJChristineOC
AF Newbie

Re: 2007 FJ Cruiser-AC Blows Hot Air AFTER Engine Coolant Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingOnRailz View Post
What type of place did you go to when all of this happened:

- A 'quick lube' chain?

- Dealer service?

- Independent garage?

I would not let the top option perform ANYTHING beyond simple oil changes on my car, and I would insist on getting out of the car, standing where I'm allowed, to watch everything that is being done
Hello - It was an independent garage with high ratings on Yelp. I had taken it once before for spark plug change - had no issue then. Would it be too risky as someone who has no car repair experience to fill up the AC freon myself? I’m nervous I’ll put the freon in the engine coolant bottle instead! I’ll research some videos on You Tube
FJChristineOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:34 PM   #4
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: 2007 FJ Cruiser-AC Blows Hot Air AFTER Engine Coolant Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJChristineOC View Post
Hello - It was an independent garage with high
ratings on Yelp. I had taken it once before for spark
plug change - had no issue then. Would it be too risky
as someone who has no car repair experience to fill up
the AC freon myself? I’m nervous I’ll put the freon in
the engine coolant bottle instead! I’ll research some
videos on You Tube

I've heard some comments against flushes on car repair blogs and similar forums. I'm not sure of the reasoning, but recalled that a refill of fluids such as antifreeze or tranny fluid was recommended.

Last edited by RidingOnRailz; 11-02-2021 at 12:26 AM.
RidingOnRailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:39 PM   #5
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: 2007 FJ Cruiser-AC Blows Hot Air AFTER Engine Coolant Service

There is nothing wrong with a coolant flush. It is actually highly recommended. Seriously, nothing can go wrong with a coolant flush.

Tranny flushes on the other hand can cause issues, unless they are done at regular intervals and started at lower mileage.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical